Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  16:52:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Agita

Hello Y'all
I chose the tag "Agita" because I'm in an almost constant state of agitation from dealing with all the stupid in this world. Of course I don't personally deal with "all" the stupid in the world, but I do find it amazing how much stupid just one person encounters.
I think Rush Limbaugh is a slimy piece of feces and Kieth Olbermann ought to be given free bullets, big bullets. Members fourth estate should hang their heads in shame as cowards who are afraid to seek the truth.
And don't get me started on the hypocrite religeocristofascists who go on the Tee-Vee and beg for Grandmas last dollar. If it turns out that there is a God and he is just, Hell will be reserved for them.
I really like what I've seen so far on this board and look forward to get to know you all.
Have A Nice Day.

Welcome to the boards and to the craziness Agita!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  17:20:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello Y'all

I chose the tag "Agita" because I'm in an almost constant state of agitation from dealing with all the stupid in this world. Of course I don't personally deal with "all" the stupid in the world, but I do find it amazing how much stupid just one person encounters.

I think Rush Limbaugh is a slimy piece of feces and Kieth Olbermann ought to be given free bullets, big bullets. Members fourth estate should hang their heads in shame as cowards who are afraid to seek the truth.

And don't get me started on the hypocrite religeocristofascists who go on the Tee-Vee and beg for Grandmas last dollar. If it turns out that there is a God and he is just, Hell will be reserved for them.

I really like what I've seen so far on this board and look forward to get to know you all.

Have A Nice Day.

Yeh, there's plenty of stupid going around these days, some of it our very own. But in here, stupidity, of others and our own, gets called out quickly, which makes us smart -- does that even make sense?

No matter, welcome to SFN, where agitation is always appreciated!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  17:23:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello Y'all

Have A Nice Day.

Welcome to SFN Agita! Happy posting...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  20:32:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone
Although I joined some time ago this is my first posting. I am a live aboard sailor, currently in the US Virgin Islands. When asked, Michael Shermer's line put it nicely for me, "I am a Agnostic, I don't know and you don't either". However with growing insights into the nature of matter and human psychology, I'm evolving toward Atheism. I was raised a Catholic and shook off my "religious training" long ago and any chance of believing in any one Religion's God is now gone. As I see it, there are only two kinds of Religious people, the Deceived and the Deceivers. Evolution explains our origin best to date and I prefer not to believe in unsupported explanations of anything. I'm sure I have flawed concepts but the sooner anyone brings one light happier I be. Thank you for having me. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  02:27:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Hello Everyone
Although I joined some time ago this is my first posting. I am a live aboard sailor, currently in the US Virgin Islands. When asked, Michael Shermer's line put it nicely for me, "I am a Agnostic, I don't know and you don't either". However with growing insights into the nature of matter and human psychology, I'm evolving toward Atheism. I was raised a Catholic and shook off my "religious training" long ago and any chance of believing in any one Religion's God is now gone. As I see it, there are only two kinds of Religious people, the Deceived and the Deceivers. Evolution explains our origin best to date and I prefer not to believe in unsupported explanations of anything. I'm sure I have flawed concepts but the sooner anyone brings one light happier I be. Thank you for having me. SS
I too, was once a live-aboard sailor, the difference being that I didn't get to pick where the ship made port. Sip a little Old St. Croix rum for me, and welcome to SFN!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  08:13:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From yet another old sailor, welcome aboard the SFN, sailingsoul!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  08:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey sailingsoul, welcome to the SFN forum!

Time to step it up from chat, eh?

And hey, I'm looking forward to meeting you at TAM7. I'm bringing some homeopathic's with me.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  09:36:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello Everyone
As I see it, there are only two kinds of Religious people, the Deceived and the Deceivers.

LOVE IT! I may have to quote you sometime.

Welcome.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello Everyone

Welcome to the fora Sailing Soul. It's just as much fun as the chat!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Wayward

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  10:57:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Wayward a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Skeptics

I've never joined a "skeptic" forum. I've always been interested in the topic since reading Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan. I used to live by the Skeptic Dictionary website and look up everything from Urban Legends to mysterious rumors.

I got deep into practical skepticism through audio and hi-fi. I write for a website called Audioholics. I'm looking to pimp the site so I'll keep my mention brief, but part of the mission statement of the website is seeking Truth in Audio. Basically it's expanded to all consumer electronics. One of the big pet-topics is Monster cables and what is often called “cable theory” in audio circles. It's the idea that a cable that joins electronic components together can impart any sort of sonic qualities. A lot of people believe it because companies like Monster have done a good job.

I had a lot of misconceptions about fine-audio and what contributes to “good” sound quality myself. I had them all rocked when I really started studying it and started performing double blind A/B/X tests on myself. It was very enlightening.

Not a skeptic, perhaps.

I appreciate the tools skepticism, scientific methodology and the pursuit of truth. But I also possess “faith” in certain matters. To me it's a different tool, used for other matters that don't require scientific methodology. I don't know if I'm explaining it well. But it's something I hold, perhaps it's an oddity and makes me not a true skeptic. I don't believe ‘everything' is provable, nor should it be.

Simple Example: I have faith that I am going to make today a great day and do something awesome! Believing this makes me happy – then makes it true by my actions because I told myself this.

No, it's not supernatural, it's just a mantra I live by, perhaps a brainwashing mechanism. But it is a matter of faith. I cannot analyze this, it just is. There is no room for scientific methodology there because if I took the time to explore it, and would surely be a futile waste of time. No hard claim is made that I will do something “awesome”! If anything I will line up the specifics with realistic goals.

Perhaps being a happy person as opposed to a sad or depressed person is a matter of hormones, brain chemicals etc. But I also believe in the power of the mind to take control of ones own destiny – through action and hard work. This to me is faith, faith in myself - but I also carry this faith that I am part and fit comfortably into a larger universe. I don't/can't know all the answer. I just have a very strong “faith” that it is. It's been spun gently, but it can almost seem "mystical" if I spin it differently.

I don't know… perhaps holding such ideas means I'm not a true skeptic.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  11:41:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the SFN, Wayward.

The first time I was aware of the rampant credulity (and resulting money to be made) regarding stereo equipment and audiophiles was through The Amazing Randi and his work at the JREF. If you aren't familiar with his efforts on this topic, then I'm sure you would greatly enjoy searching their archives.

It's interesting that you mentioned Demon Haunted World as being your first introduction to skeptical thinking. It was for many of us as well. Sagan was an invaluable ambassador for skepticism and critical thinking, and it's nice to see that legacy live on.

As far as not being a "proper" skeptic, nothing you mentioned seems incompatible with skepticism to me. For instance, I wouldn't call positive thinking a matter of faith per se, but rather a rational goal abetting by psychological techniques which you've found useful. You could still be irrational in the manner you approached this goal, however. For instance, if you claimed you wanted to have an "awesome" and productive day but then decided to go shoot heroine, your actions would undermine your intentions. But there's nothing inherently irrational about setting goals and maintaining a positive outlook.

Just so long as you don't wander into The Secret territory I think you're good.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Wayward

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  19:53:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Wayward a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome Humbert.

In my first reply I mean to say I'm NOT here to shill for any website. I left out the NOT which changes the whole sentence.

Randi I remember as a kid. I am Canadian (Randi was on TV a lot in Toronto area) and am old enough to remember Uri Gellar. I was fascinated with Gellar's act and remember a showdown Gellar had with Randi. I recall Gellar not being able to bend spoons in Randi's presence because of his "negative energy" or something like that.

I recall in those days in the mid-late 70s as a kid hearing adults talk about "mysteries", crypto-zoology and being fascinated with them and religion. I'm not sure what I "believed" but my parents never forced religion on me at any time. For that accident of fate I am thankful.

It's interesting I've heard Randi resurface, his one million dollar prize to anyone who can show him up with an unexplained phenomena is something I've known of (but not really followed) since the early 80s.

Remember a show called That's Incredible? Randi debunked a guy who moved stuff with his mind on that show. It was interesting.

I'm still fascinated with unexplained phenomena, conspiracies and religion for various reasons. Probably one of the most prominent is that it says a lot about our state as a society. Urban Legends are fascinating because they're our myths, tales designed to reflect our morality, fears and hopes, even if they're slightly twisted through this lense of modernity and cynacism.

You can almost spot an urban legend or "conspiracy theory" because of their pattern. Mistrust in technology is a common theme. One imagines humans must have feared fire for a very long time with good reason. Some of that today is reflected in our fear of EMF and so called "cell phone radiation".

As for positive thinking, I think you're right Humbert, it's pretty normal stuff. I will read The Secret (haven't checked it out yet) but I don't believe I'm verging on paranormal - but you never know.

Goalies strike either side of their net just prior to an impending play. There are psychological reasons. But I believe it's the equivalent to prayer or 'ritual' for some people. I believe ritual or prayer or faith has allowed people to do amazing things that has pushed the limits of what we thought was possible. Perhaps the Viking Berserker was capable of seemingly superhuman feats in battle, not so much because he was cursed by Loki but maybe he found a mental place, a routine that gave him clarity and vision of the battlefield not afforded normal people with all the normal adrenaline and fear.

This stuff amazes me!

Thanks for reading. I'm sure this is going to be an interesting forum to haunt. I look forward to lurking in more discussions.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  21:29:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, Wayward!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  21:54:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome again to Skeptic Friends Network, Wayward!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

jacq

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  03:06:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jacq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find a forum where there is some intelligent conversation for some time... I am mighty glad I found this one!

I live in "the country" in Australia, and even as a univeristy lecturer I am horrified nearly EVERY DAY but the number of people I come across in my day who profess to be religious - including many so-called "educated" people! It is like a disease in rural areas - they are conservative and frigteningly stupid.

As an educator, I see it as our most devastating faliure that at the end of school our poor parentally-brainwashed children still emerge believing in god, astrology, stupid magical health/beauty "cures", what they see on the commercial news, etc, etc. We do our best goddamit, but the parental force is strong, and is indeed a form of child abuse. The torment that children with fundamentalist christian parents go through... it's heart breaking.

I love science fiction, philosphy (it should be compulsory in schools everywhere) Futurama (my favorite) and love to look up crap like old "In Search of" episodes on You tube. (They are hilarious!) I loved that show when I was a kid...

I am looking forward to conversing with some intelligent people!

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." — Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.