Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Introduce yourself
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9648 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  13:23:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, and welcome, skepticalover!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

jjflash
New Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  12:43:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jjflash's Homepage Send jjflash a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello:

My name is Jack Brewer and I look forward to browsing SFN. I found the forum while conducting searches to locate sites that promote critical thinking.

I am a moderator on an Internet forum in which ufology and related alleged paranormal phenomena is discussed. A vast majority (if not all) of you are no doubt well aware that the UFO community often leaves a great deal to be desired in the way of critical thinking and rational problem solving. The operators of the forum (where I moderate) therefore make an intentional effort to provide the UFO community with accurate information while providing good examples of how to identify credible sources. I therefore joined SFN in order to interact with critical thinkers and to browse the site for various items of interest such as exposed hoaxes and charlatans within the UFO community.

If any of you care to browse the site that I help operate, please feel welcome to join us, as sensible discussion is very much encouraged. Thank you, and I look forward to learning more about SFN.

Jack Brewer
screen name jjflash
http://ufomania.proboards.com/

http://ufomania.proboards.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4954 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  13:24:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, jjflash. We've had our share of UFO discussions as well. Our Astronomy Forum has a number of threads discussing such things. With a bit of searching, you can turn up a few lengthy debates about UFOs and the like.

We hope to see you around!
Go to Top of Page

jjflash
New Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  14:19:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jjflash's Homepage Send jjflash a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Welcome, jjflash. We've had our share of UFO discussions as well. Our Astronomy Forum has a number of threads discussing such things. With a bit of searching, you can turn up a few lengthy debates about UFOs and the like.

We hope to see you around!


Thanks, Cuneiformist! I will definitely check out the Astronomy Forum.

http://ufomania.proboards.com/
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  00:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by jjflash

Hello:

My name is Jack Brewer and I look forward to browsing SFN. I found the forum while conducting searches to locate sites that promote critical thinking.

I am a moderator on an Internet forum in which ufology and related alleged paranormal phenomena is discussed. A vast majority (if not all) of you are no doubt well aware that the UFO community often leaves a great deal to be desired in the way of critical thinking and rational problem solving. The operators of the forum (where I moderate) therefore make an intentional effort to provide the UFO community with accurate information while providing good examples of how to identify credible sources. I therefore joined SFN in order to interact with critical thinkers and to browse the site for various items of interest such as exposed hoaxes and charlatans within the UFO community.

If any of you care to browse the site that I help operate, please feel welcome to join us, as sensible discussion is very much encouraged. Thank you, and I look forward to learning more about SFN.

Jack Brewer
screen name jjflash
http://ufomania.proboards.com/
Wedlock to Skeptic Friends Network, Jack!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

gawdbless8888
New Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  17:08:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gawdbless8888's Homepage Send gawdbless8888 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! I am new to SFN. Gawd Bless America is a new comedy documentary that is being released in March. If you are a skeptic I think you might enjoy the link to the trailer and interviews below.

Gawd Bless America trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuersBn6jYc

Gawd Bless America Interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOGmdGd6xXY

Aolnews.com Interview
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/27/filmmaker-psychs-out-psychics-and-et-believers/
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13376 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  17:15:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, gawdbless8888. Looks like a great movie.

Just so you know though, one post on the same subject is sufficient. It starts looking like spam when you hit more than one thread with the same link.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Celt
New Member

4 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  13:30:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Celt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never cared much for round robin introductions, but here goes. I'm a relatively happy go lucky Irishman who lives somewhere in the Midwestern part of America.

I like to fish, hunt, box, create things, and enjoy life in general. I get a kick out of raising certain species of birds, fish, and gardening.

I doubt I'll be around much due to my work schedule, but look forward to interacting on here when I am.

Slainte
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13376 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  16:07:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Celt

I never cared much for round robin introductions, but here goes. I'm a relatively happy go lucky Irishman who lives somewhere in the Midwestern part of America.

I like to fish, hunt, box, create things, and enjoy life in general. I get a kick out of raising certain species of birds, fish, and gardening.

I doubt I'll be around much due to my work schedule, but look forward to interacting on here when I am.

Slainte
Welcome to SFN Celt!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

grayman
New Member

3 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  19:02:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send grayman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey.

"Divine Insanity": God killed himself on the cross to save his own creation from his own wrath.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13376 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  22:01:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by grayman

Hey.
Hi there grayman! Welcome to SFN!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9648 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2011 :  12:07:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, grayman!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Thompson
New Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  09:56:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Tim Thompson's Homepage Send Tim Thompson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tim Thompson here. I found SFN a long time ago, via Internet Infidels I think, and then again more recently while hunting down Michael Mozina and his "iron sun" model. Finally decided to toss my hat in the ring.

My formal education is in physics; B.S. 1978 & M.S. 1985 from California State University, Los Angeles. I am also a graduate of the Russian language course at the Defence Language Institute in Monterey, California.

I am retired from the technical staff after 28 years at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. I started out in the Radio Astronomy Group and at various times was assigned to the Infrared Astronomy Group, the Terrestrial Sciences Group, the Planetary Atmospheres Group, and the Evolution of Galaxies Group. My last assignment had me working on images from the infrared Spitzer Space Telescope.

I have also been a tournament chess player since I was a kid, currently rated in the high 1900's by the USCF. That's high enough to claim that I know what I am doing, but not high enough to prove it

I am also an active amateur astronomer, long time member and former President of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society. I do a lot of public speaking on astronomy, for schools, astronomy clubs, or other social groups. I have added a talk on global warming, especially for high school Earth Science students.

Also a fan of history, especially military history (maybe because of chess).

I can see that this board seems to move at a more relaxed pace than several I have seen, with only a few active threads at any one time. I tend to stick to the science related threads anyway, and am not likely to be prolific, but do like to keep things on a proper scientific foundation. So you'll see me hanging around.

The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it. -- Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  10:08:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Tim Thompson

Tim Thompson here. I found SFN a long time ago, via Internet Infidels I think, and then again more recently while hunting down Michael Mozina and his "iron sun" model.
Oh, man. That Iron Sun Guy was one of the kookier characters to ever grace these forums. I can't believe he's still beating that dead horse. Then again, he never gave any indication of being capable of changing his mind.

Welcome, Tim. Always good to have more contributors with solid science backgrounds.


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13376 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  10:14:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, Tim Thompson. I'm sure you will be an asset to our little coven of skeptics over here on our corner of the web. And you're right. We do move at a more leisurely pace than those forums that have a big name attached to them. I think that's a good thing. I'm looking forward to your posts, however infrequent they may be.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.69 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000