Introduce yourself
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

garbagegirl

1 Post

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  17:59:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send garbagegirl an AOL message Send garbagegirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[hi- I am new. I am in the boston area and going to college but can't find intelligent conversation. (music school you see) I'd like to see if there is anyone out there in my area!
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  22:41:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it is about time that I introduced myself. I am an engineer with a degree in Mechanical Engineering but my work is more petroleum reservoir oriented (pressure transient analysis of well tests). Going into my second half century, I live in a small village west of Calgary, Alberta, Canada with my wife, a big dog, and two cats that we inherited from our son who apparently became allergic to them. My family were atheists but as a child I briefly believed in Christianity, but then I also once believed in Santa Claus. I am now a militant agnostic ("I don't know if there is a god and you don't either") - stolen from a post on SFN. I found this site via the Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy website. I am interested in alternative medicine, but I am very skeptical about most claims in this field.

I loath religious fundamentalists and creationists - anyone who tries to ram their religion down my throat. Modern history has convinced me that the Arrogant Worms were right when they said that "history is made by stupid people".

I enjoy listening to jazz, blues etc and African music or anything unusual which is why I like listening to CKUA - the best radio in the world in my humble opinion.

I am interested in astronomy and paleontolgy/evolution but I am not particularly knowledgeble about these fields.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  19:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is becoming my standard intro, first on the Skepticality list (which is where I heard of the SFN) and now here. Originally a Maritimer (N.S. with Newfie roots), I live (if you can call it that) in what can best be described as a pimple on the tundra, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (north of Montana for you USAnians).

Hey-there. I go by two handles online, raeat and dglas. I'll use dglas here because that's what I started with all those years ago, and because that's what I went by when I was a member of the old Skeptic-L list.

Anyway, I am dglas and I was not properly socialized. Sadly, I cannot make any of the dramatic claims of being pre-skeptic and transforming majestically into skepticism from (dare I say) dubious roots. Just a childhood of neglect, lots of science fiction and role-playing gaming. Probably the three major influences on my life and thinking are: (1) Dr. Sagan's Cosmos, (2) Being bitten by a chipmunk (it's an anti-Disney trauma thing), and (3) Chapter 6 of Irving M. Copi's Symbolic Logic.

I spent a significant amount of my university time working in the university bookstore (stories I could tell!) and trying to rigorously remove all normative language from my speech. I used to quip that I really felt, very strongly, that we shouldn't, you know, just shouldn't use normative language.

My goals are two-fold. I want to be declared dangerous by the moral majority. I recognize this is not likely to happen, at this late stage, so I will just have to content myself with the title "moral nihilist." I want the neighbours to eventually say of me that they never imagined something like this would happen and that I seemed like such a quiet fellow. Is this too much to ask?

The bunny avatar comes from a video for a TISM tune entitled "Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me." Now you know what the "1" stands for.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Pernicious

35 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  07:54:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pernicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there.

I 've read a lot on this site, never posted. I love this friggin place.

I don't know if I ever really believed in God, it seems to have the same place in my mind as Santa Claus. I remember playing along as a kid, cause I still wanted the toys.

As a kid, I read anything I could get my hands on. I became fascinated with paranormal stuff, aliens, Loch Ness, all that fun shit. Grew out of that too.

I have three unbelieveable daughters, twin 7 year-olds and an 18-month old. They make the universe brighter and more bareable, and are the best thing that could have happened to me.
The downside is me and the wife are seperated.

Let's see, what else? I got a degree in Psychology, was a poor social worker for a while, spent a few years in the unbarable HELL that is retail managment, <shudders>. I now am a manager with a trucking company. I need some intellectual converstion from you guys, I sure as hell don't get it at work.

I play guitar, got a band now in its infancy, taking its first steps holding on to the furniture cautiously.

Anyway, nice to meet ya.

If I was the Supreme Being, I wouldn't muck about with butterflies and dandelions, I'd start with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!
-Time Bandits
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  20:43:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Pernicious, welcome to SFN! Sorry about being kind of late on this...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  08:20:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wanted to introduce myself briefly. First, great forum!

I am a forty-something married, father of four sons, from Pennsylvania, USA. I work as an Oncology/Hematology Consultant for a biotech company. Spent six years in the U.S. Army as an Aviation Officer/Helicopter Pilot. I am an amateur astronomer (X 35 years), play Ice Hockey, and just recently retired from Adventure Racing. My favorite topics and things to learn about are Astronomy/Cosmology, science history, Evolutionary Biology, Cryptozoology (firm skeptic on all counts), and Single Malt Whisky. Beer is good too!

I grew up in a Roman Catholic family (all of whom still are devout Catholics), but I'm definitely not a believer in God, and have been a "skeptic" my whole life. However, that has not prevented me, over the course of my life, from being a Christian believer. I chalk that period up to naivety and peer pressure! Was a member of Catholic, Methodist, and Southern Baptist churches and studied the Bible extensively (twice through the whole thing in two formal study groups). To re-emphasize though, I am not a believer in the Christian faith or God any longer and haven't been for at least 12 years.

A very patient friend and professor of physics helped direct me back to rationality and science.

Ok, that wasn't all that brief, but it gives a decent overview. I'm looking forward to participating in the forum.

P.S. I'm in a hurry, so this hasn't been checked for spelling or grammar!

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  09:10:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome. Splelnig & gamrmar ok. By me.

Does one ever entirely and completely shake Roman Catholicism?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  10:04:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, McQ. What with your family, job, and various hobbies it sounds like you're a busy guy. Still, I hope you find time to post from time to time!
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  10:34:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Welcome. Splelnig & gamrmar ok. By me.

Does one ever entirely and completely shake Roman Catholicism?

I think not. They follow you wherever you go! The R.C. church must use the same people as college alumni groups to find you. You can't hide!!!

--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  10:35:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Welcome, McQ. What with your family, job, and various hobbies it sounds like you're a busy guy. Still, I hope you find time to post from time to time!

Very busy! Thanks for the welcome. I hope to remain an active member of the forums for a long time to come.

--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Cookie Parker

17 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  15:25:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cookie Parker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. Cookie Parker. I actually came here because someone whose posts I admired on another forum comes here. Geeze...does that make me a stalker? Hope not...sorry C*&$*^#))...LOL!

I gave up on the idea of God and Christianity in the mid-80's. Went to a church and found nothing but judgment in the sermon (reasons why women may never divorce), and then in Sunday school an old lady complained of the homeless who were out in the parking lot after Lady's Circle and could the police please come to remove them before the Circle dismissed because "those people" were dirty and smelly and always asked for a dollar. They had just proclaimed themselves Christians, pointing to the Viet Namese girl they had sponsored who asked for more money for school.

Ever had one of those out of body moments where you are in a crowd of strangers and your hand involuntarily goes up and you look up at it in shock and are screaming on the inside..."Get down! What are you doing up there?" Well, I was called upon and that's really when I left my body. I admonished the old lady, who had to be in her 80's for not thinking maybe that was Christ come back to see how they would treat the "least" of these, and then looked around at them all and said they were willing to help a foreigner but do nothing about Americans who were homeless? I left. As I was going down a hall, a woman grabbed my arm and asked me to come back. "We need people like you here." she said. I put my hand on hers and looked her square in the eye and said "Get out while you can. God isn't here." I left and never went back.

Study Buddhism now and like the idea that you prove to yourself whether the path to meditation and mind are real or not.

So, God away....I don't think it's anything more than fairy tales by those who want to control humans....

Sorry..the story is true...but I love writing, too...

Pleased to be here..and I promise, C*((*#& not to stalk...on wingsoverwhiteman and HoneyCreek's socks!!!! :)

Blaise Pascal:

To deny, to believe, and to doubt absolutely -- this is for man what running is for a horse.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  15:39:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cookie Parker

Hi everyone. Cookie Parker. I actually came here because someone whose posts I admired on another forum comes here. Geeze...does that make me a stalker? Hope not...sorry C*&$*^#))...LOL!

I gave up on the idea of God and Christianity in the mid-80's. Went to a church and found nothing but judgment in the sermon (reasons why women may never divorce), and then in Sunday school an old lady complained of the homeless who were out in the parking lot after Lady's Circle and could the police please come to remove them before the Circle dismissed because "those people" were dirty and smelly and always asked for a dollar. They had just proclaimed themselves Christians, pointing to the Viet Namese girl they had sponsored who asked for more money for school.

Ever had one of those out of body moments where you are in a crowd of strangers and your hand involuntarily goes up and you look up at it in shock and are screaming on the inside..."Get down! What are you doing up there?" Well, I was called upon and that's really when I left my body. I admonished the old lady, who had to be in her 80's for not thinking maybe that was Christ come back to see how they would treat the "least" of these, and then looked around at them all and said they were willing to help a foreigner but do nothing about Americans who were homeless? I left. As I was going down a hall, a woman grabbed my arm and asked me to come back. "We need people like you here." she said. I put my hand on hers and looked her square in the eye and said "Get out while you can. God isn't here." I left and never went back.

Study Buddhism now and like the idea that you prove to yourself whether the path to meditation and mind are real or not.

So, God away....I don't think it's anything more than fairy tales by those who want to control humans....

Sorry..the story is true...but I love writing, too...

Pleased to be here..and I promise, C*((*#& not to stalk...on wingsoverwhiteman and HoneyCreek's socks!!!! :)

Welcome, Cookie-- glad you could make it! We hope you stay awhile. Have a look around and feel free to add in your two cents!
Go to Top of Page

Antigone

44 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  17:42:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello All
I'm new here. I guess I should introduce myself.
My interests are many, but I seem to be most interested in math, physics, biology, history, and different religions (not for devotional reasons...more as a study on how, what, and why people believe them). I also write poetry and fiction.
In reading some of the most recent intros I notice people mentioning their religious or spiritual beliefs, so I guess I can comment on mine. I grew up in a family of many beliefs. My paternal grandmother was Roman Catholic, my mother was raised a Protestant, my maternal great grandmother was "of the old religion" as she put it, but is in the category of Paganism (not neo-paganism or 'wiccan'), and my dad was an agnostic/recovering catholic. And I grew up in an Irish Catholic small town within Boston. So I had many influences. My mom did what she thought was best for me and resisted other people's attempts at trying to make me believe what they believed. She handed me the bible, had me go to the Protestant sunday school, Catholic mass, and my great grandmoter's house for an education in "the old religion," and let my dad express his views. She answered any questions I had and bought me books about other religions and spiritual beliefs. She let me choose my own spiritual path. For a long time I concidered myself "of the old religion" because it made sense to me at the time. Then I stopped trying to label myself and believed in a power within all of us ... I labeled this power God just to have a word for it. I had a belief in reincarnation and so on.
But at this moment I am not sure what I believe. This has been going on for about 4 years now.
So thats where I stand with religion or spirituality on a personal level.
Right now I live in NY with my Girlfriend (who the government says I cannot marry). I have 6 animals in my care, five of them I rescued. Two cats, an Ornate Box Turtle, Russian Tortiose, Leopard Gecko, and a frog. I hate when people abuse or neglect animals, thats about the only time I turn militant and want to harm people. So, thats who lives with me...
And what made me move to Western NY? I have no idea ... I really hate snow and winter, I am still asking myself why the f I moved here. Then a little voice reminds me I moved here to go to school. For a few years a was a nurse, but i had to give it up for medical reasons. So I went to school AGAIN and got a biology degree. Thats when I came to NY to go farther into biology studies (virogenetics to be exact). Unfortunately I decided to take Latin and that captured my interest BIG TIME, so I dropped Biology and majored in Ancient History with an emp. in Rome, Latin, and (to top it all off) Math/ Physics. I reflect back on it now and wonder if I did it to severely punish myself!
So, thats me in a nutshell.

Mortui non dolent
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  18:01:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Skeptic Friends Network, Antigone!

(edited to correct logo)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 09/20/2006 18:40:17
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  18:02:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, Antigone!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds.