Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  18:02:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antigone
And what made me move to Western NY? I have no idea ... I really hate snow and winter, I am still asking myself why the f I moved here. Then a little voice reminds me I moved here to go to school. For a few years a was a nurse, but i had to give it up for medical reasons. So I went to school AGAIN and got a biology degree. Thats when I came to NY to go farther into biology studies (virogenetics to be exact). Unfortunately I decided to take Latin and that captured my interest BIG TIME, so I dropped Biology and majored in Ancient History with an emp. in Rome, Latin, and (to top it all off) Math/ Physics. I reflect back on it now and wonder if I did it to severely punish myself!
So, thats me in a nutshell.
Hey Antigoone, welcome to SFN. I'm also in western NY (just moved here) and study ancient history (though the things I do are still a few thousand years before Caesar), so I feel for you.

In any event, do feel free to browse the forums and comment when you like. We also chat tonight (in about an hour) so come by and say hello if you can!
Go to Top of Page

Antigone

44 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  11:54:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Hey Antigoone, welcome to SFN. I'm also in western NY (just moved here) and study ancient history (though the things I do are still a few thousand years before Caesar), so I feel for you.

I like to study the regal and republic era of roman history. In my opinion ancient history is any time before the fall of the Republic.
is there a time period or culture in ancient history that interests you more than the others?

and I wonder if we live in the same area and are enrolled in the same school ... small world.
(I got to see the Dalai Lama this week, it was one of the best experiences of my life)

Mortui non dolent
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  18:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antigone

quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I like to study the regal and republic era of roman history. In my opinion ancient history is any time before the fall of the Republic.
is there a time period or culture in ancient history that interests you more than the others?

and I wonder if we live in the same area and are enrolled in the same school ... small world.
(I got to see the Dalai Lama this week, it was one of the best experiences of my life)

Well, I study Mesopotamia ca. 2000 BC-- considerably before the Roman Republic! And I work in Ithaca, NY. I just moved here a few months ago. It's a nice part of the country and I'm happy to be here. I look forward to the fall, when it's supposed to be particularly nice. (I look less forward to the winter, which is supposed to suck! ) A news search suggests that we're not in the same city, but close enough. If there's ever a SFN reunion in upstate, we'll co-host it!
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 09/21/2006 18:30:15
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  19:02:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Hey Antigone......
quote:
I have 6 animals in my care, five of them I rescued. Two cats, an Ornate Box Turtle, Russian Tortiose, Leopard Gecko, and a frog. I hate when people abuse or neglect animals, thats about the only time I turn militant and want to harm people. So, thats who lives with me...

Herpetology freak, eh? Good to have some company!

I am currently providing hearth and home to five snakes, all venomous (yeah, I'm one o' them). I do wildlife rescue and rehab specalizing in reptiles, and problem snake removal. Unfortunately, due to health reasons, I've had to slow down considerably in the last couple of years.

My avatar is a hybrid of an eastern gaboon viper and a rhinocerous viper (Bitis gabonica rhinocerous X B. nasicornis) that I raised from an neonate.

I think geckos are neat, but don't get a tokay. They will drive you insane, particularly the males...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Antigone

44 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  21:15:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds great Cun! I look forward to subjects on history with you on this board! I could learn a lot. I wish I could look beyond all the confusing and deceitful information regarding that time and place in history. Sometimes it hard to tell whats true and what isn't.

Filthy, Snakes are the only herps I'm afraid of...I did manage to get over my fear once. I worked at the Bio lab at my old college. One of my responsibilities was taking care of the many animals there, including 9 snakes. The week I stopped being afraid I made a stupid mistake. My prof. left the glass open to feed one of the snakes, told me to 'be careful' while he went to grab the mouse. It didn't registar soon enough. I walked by and the movement caught the snake's attention. The bite wasn't as bad as the one my prof. got from the matured male Iguana!! Oh, fun times!!!
Anyway, I volunteer at a place called RARE (Reptile Adoption, Rehab, and Education). I love working with reptiles (snakes, not so much though...I am afraid again). I really love Beardies and want to adopt two of them, but my girlfriend told me if I get anymore animals she'll kill me. So, I don't think that would be a good idea. Although she said that two animals ago... maybe I should check my food for poison...

Mortui non dolent
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  22:02:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Antigone! Now, at long last, perhaps Cune can't hog the ancient history spotlight around these parts.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  00:11:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iguana bites.... Ouch! They are worse than comparable monitors.

Ant, you were the victim of something every serpent keeper should pay attention to: a feeding response. All long-term captives develope one and it can make the 'dangerous' species a genuine hazard to the inattentive.

Your prof should not have left the cage open, even though the animal wasn't hot. A simple precaution to avoid bites like yours and forestall possible injury to the animal should it get out on the floor.

I've always wanted to keep a couple of the Heloderma. I've had one come through here, but it was in transit.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

wombatwal

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  18:13:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send wombatwal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G'day
I am Wombatwal, this is my internet name, of course. I live in Sydney Australia.
My interests are being sceptical, photography, Australian native plants, 4WDriving and camping and sport, namely Cricket, Rugby League and Rugby Union.
Have become increasingly sceptical over the years particularly at work. I am a nurse and so of course work with a lot of women
But they tend to be a bit superstitious, possibly more so than men, and I am always arguing with them regarding psychics, religion and full moon scenarios. I have so far enjoyed the topics on this forum, particularly when the superstitious types post.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  19:18:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G'day, mate, and welcome! Goodonya for fighting superstition, especially the actively dangerous kind found in the health-care setting.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfsong

3 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  17:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Wolfsong's Homepage Send Wolfsong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The orderly didn't fasten the buckle tight enough, so i escaped, and here i am.
Hello.

And out of the darkness, the Zombie did call
True pain and suffering he brought to them all
Away ran the children to hide in their beds,
for fear that the devil would chop off their heads
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  17:54:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to Skeptic Friends Network!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  19:14:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Wolfsong, and may you remain running free!

Go to Top of Page

Master Yoda
Skeptic Friend

59 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  02:57:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Master Yoda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been around a little bit and didn't realize there was a newbie thread. Politics is of course a stupid venue to introduce yourself to any board, but I've never claimed to be all that brilliant, anyway! While waiting for responses, I strolled around a bit and decided I like the place.

I'm living in Hong Kong, presently, but have had the good fortune to reside in some of the best cities in the world (New Orleans, New York, Montreal) for decent lengths of time.

I'm an old 60's hippie/radical, somewhat tempered by age, but still willing to dream a bit. I did not follow my brethren to the Hog Farm, though, nor to pyramid power, astral projection, or any other modern day woo. In fact, no one's ever even invited me to join a cult; must be something I said, I guess. (But I once bought some soap from an Amway distributor, if that counts.)

A friend once accused me of being a walking conspiracy theory because:
I grew up in the South during desegregation
Lived in New York during the Dylan/Baez era
Was part of the hippie revolution
Was an anti-war activist
Went to Woodstock (the place many times, the concert that one time)
Fought the War in Viet Nam in Canada (draft dodging pinko!)
Then sidled into business and they proceeded to send me to lovely hotspots like Chile in the middle of the anti-Pinnochet student riots, Johannesburg during the Soweto riots, and a couple of those sort of coincidences that CTers love to cite as "evidence".

Particular interests:
>I would like a time machine to go back and strangle CTers in their cradles. (In the nicest sort of way, of course.) In another one of the a.m. coincidences, I was working in Jersey City on 9/11, and watched the whole thing out of the picture window. If any of you know # 10 Exchange Place, that's the building, and there's nothing between our window and where the towers used to be. When I heard that the hope of the country (the youth) were rallying around this LC nonsense, I was floored. I lost a couple of acquaintances that day.
>Repressed Memories/Memory Regression Therapy/False Memory Syndrome. Purely another coincidence, but I had a very close family member fall victim to this snake-oil salespitch in the early 80's. Absolute Hell for the family to deal with it!
>Sylvia Browne and all Psychics are blood sucking leeches.
>Politics? Considering my introduction here... I really don't care that much. One set of stuffed suits beholdin' to their contributors is not much better than the other. It depresses me that US politics is so centrist that anyone who is for healthcare is a communist, and anyone who is for an extra stoplight on the corner is a neo-cryptic-fascist. Living in Taiwan and Hong Kong and traveling all over Asia (20/30 trips a year), I've been exposed to a much broader political spectrum.
>Boards? I'm a regular at JREF, but no where near the status of some of the veterans, particularly the amazing Anti-CT crowd. You've got a couple of solid debunkers here, also. (At the request of Dr. Mabuse, I'm trying to get on of their pet CT trolls to come over for a visit... we'll see how that turns out.)

I won't post much, but as you can see, I'm one wordy mofo, so when I do, it'll probably ramble on. I am one of those typical workaholic types, so I generally catch up with the boards on the weekend. (I have to entertain a lot, so by Fri/Sat, the last thing I want to do is go out and hit the pubs with the amateurs. And it's true about the ex-pats in Asia... we generally, between work and entertainment, have to put in about 75/80 hour weeks.)

BTW, I'm in a totally useless profession when it comes to skeptics - Shipping and Logistics. (But if you ever need to know how many cubic metres fit into a forty foot container, count on me!) However, I've nearly slipped a couple of times discussing Asian sourcing and labor conditions, sweatshops, etc.... And I could violate company non-disclosure rules, so it's best that I remain anonymous. Nothing really sinister, just that way if I say something rotten about a big retailer, or a big airline, no one can associate it with the job I hold and the clients I handle. (See? I guess I am a walking conspiracy theory! Just kidding - I take their money, so I respect their rules.)

Pay no attention to the smilies. I'm just testing them to see how the look in actual posts.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  04:40:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Master Yoda.

I was on the other side of the Vietnam idiotcy, being already in the service when it all started.

Welcome to SFN!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Master Yoda
Skeptic Friend

59 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  05:41:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Master Yoda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Greetings Master Yoda.

I was on the other side of the Vietnam idiotcy, being already in the service when it all started.

Welcome to SFN!

Thanx. Ya know, last year for the first time (ever!) outside of a march or rally, I met a VN vet who nearly revolted at the thought of continuing to talk to me when he found out my "service record". In the period when I went to Canada we had about 200 deserters for every 'dodger'. (This was summer of '70.) When I returned to the states in '80, my brother was a bartender in Greenwich Village, and practicing real hard at being a "character". Says he, in Jimmy Day's Saloon, "Ix-nay on the draft dodging - the guy over their is ex Special Services." The guy, Francois, and I (a Frenchman, by birth, no less) became fast friends. Most vets I met, even those who did tours in VN, never had a problem with my choice. It was the GWB-type talking socks who always made the noise.

Hell, I've been to Cambodia. If those people can forget their differences, I think I can forget mine. Most vets of that era feel the same, I feel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.66 seconds.