Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 16

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

Well, I have finished my detailed answer as to why I think Christianity is special. It's on page 5

I will answer the question about respecting the Muslim relgion when I get some more time.

What makes you think I was talking about Islam? Interesting....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 08/28/2006 12:08:45
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:17:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
OK, Pleco, I'll bite. Were you thinking of more than one religion when you said, " "sincere" believers to kill infidels"?

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:31:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Anyone ever hear of Chinese Universists? I'm going to have to investigate that one.

From Encyclopaedia Britannica
http://www.britannica.com/eb/table?tocId=9432620&idxStructId=48930&typeId=

Chinese universists. Followers of a unique complex of beliefs and practices that may include: universism (yin/yang cosmology with dualities earth/heaven, evil/good, darkness/light), ancestor cult, Confucian ethics, divination, festivals, folk religion, goddess worship, household gods, local deities, mediums, metaphysics, monasteries, neo-Confucianism, popular religion, sacrifices, shamans, spirit writing, and Taoist and Buddhist elements.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  12:36:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

OK, Pleco, I'll bite. Were you thinking of more than one religion when you said, " "sincere" believers to kill infidels"?

I was thinking of Old Testament killings (which christianity has a love/hate relationship with) moreso than anything else. You know, back when god obviously hated everyone but his chosen people - before god's epiphany.

And I used the word "infidel" because it is Middle English and was used to originally describe people who did not believe in the christian god (though obviously its definition has been expanded somewhat.)

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 08/28/2006 12:40:23
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  05:35:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

In my life, I would estimate that I've heard testimonies (empiracle evidence) of at least 150 people saying they had increased well-being and changed lives because of new found Christianity. Some call it a born again experience.

In my experience I have seen more people have this peace thru Christianity than thru any other way, and that is why I believe it is "special"...

Christianity (not "quasi" Christianity) is the only Hope for a dead and dying world... Love thy neighbor, and even though its hard, Love thy enemy.

So, for your statement, your thorough analysis includes:

1) You are a chrisitian. Have you not beleived in any other religion? If not, how do you know they have nothing better to offer?

2) You've heard 150 people. They were all christians? Have you talked to equal numbers of people of other faiths?

3) "In your experience..." Do you realize that your experience may be quite incomplete, and you are making a rather important decision/statement based on incomplete data? Besides, "your experience" is not very objective, is it?

4) You can get the same or better experience from eating certain mushrooms. See link: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/07_11_06.html. I promise no virus here...

I'm sorry, but your "analysis" is quite incomplete. You need to do a lot more research. It is quite biased toward christianity, and if you expect people in a skeptic forum to give it any credence, you will need to be a whole lot more objective.

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 08/29/2006 05:37:07
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  07:06:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
B. asked:
quote:
Anyone ever hear of Chinese Universists? I'm going to have to investigate that one.
Interesting. From a little searching, I'm getting little information so far, aside from it apparently being a fast-growing new religion, largely populated by agnostics. Me, I prefer to take my infidelity without a side-dish of religion.

Here's a quote:
quote:
The Universist Movement evangelizes Universism, which is among the world's fastest growing religious philosophies. Born from a coalition of atheists and deists, Universism unites diverse metaphysical belief by valuing continued exploration and questioning. Shearing previous progressive religion movements of new ageism and faith alike, Universism replaces the insipid and politically correct with today's unique Universist ethic - critical and faithless, yet genuine and passionate. The Movement's mission is to evolve religion in a safe direction in light of the events of September 11. In Universism truth is nontransferable, and the group collectively celebrates existential mystery, rather than absolute truth.
I'm not sure, however, if this is the same as Chinese Universism.

Still searching...

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  07:14:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
The Movement's mission is to evolve religion in a safe direction in light of the events of September 11

Like Sept. 11 was the first bad thing a religion has ever done...

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  11:34:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:

I was asked why I believe Christianity is special compared to other religions. Well first all let me say that I respect all religions whose followers are sincere.

You respect a religion that instructs its "sincere" believers to kill infidels?

I respect the commitment of someone willing to die for a cause. But that cause may be far from Ultimate Truth and God. I also respect the right of a sincere religion to have laws and commandments. But those laws and commandments may be far from Ultimate Truth and thus the True Supreme God. I also believe my God is perfect and I will never, with my human mind, be able understand everything about Him.

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  14:03:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
But those laws and commandments may be far from Ultimate Truth and thus the True Supreme God. I also believe my God is perfect and I will never, with my human mind, be able understand everything about Him.
Do you believe there has been, is, or will be someone human who understand the Ultimate Truth?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  14:05:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
[brI respect the commitment of someone willing to die for a cause. But that cause may be far from Ultimate Truth and God. I also respect the right of a sincere religion to have laws and commandments. But those laws and commandments may be far from Ultimate Truth and thus the True Supreme God. I also believe my God is perfect and I will never, with my human mind, be able understand everything about Him.

Okay, I'm not sure I got an answer, so a yes or no will do.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  10:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
I know this thread appears to be dying, but I found this frightening.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was asked why I believe Christianity is special compared to other religions. Well first all let me say that I respect all religions whose followers are sincere.

You respect a religion that instructs its "sincere" believers to kill infidels?

I respect the commitment of someone willing to die for a cause.

No matter how many passengers on a bus or shoppers at a market die. It's the commitment to the cause that you respect. That's pretty fucking scary.

quote:

But that cause may be far from Ultimate Truth and God. I also respect the right of a sincere religion to have laws and commandments. But those laws and commandments may be far from Ultimate Truth and thus the True Supreme God. I also believe my God is perfect and I will never, with my human mind, be able understand everything about Him.

Perhaps, but every attribute of your God was the product of man. Being beyond mans understanding is just another attribute. Your God is no different than the thousands of other gods throughout history. In other words, "Man created your God too."

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  13:10:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:

quote:

In my life, I would estimate that I've heard testimonies (empiracle evidence) of at least 150 people saying they had increased well-being and changed lives because of new found Christianity. Some call it a born again experience.

In my experience I have seen more people have this peace thru Christianity than thru any other way, and that is why I believe it is "special"...

Christianity (not "quasi" Christianity) is the only Hope for a dead and dying world... Love thy neighbor, and even though its hard, Love thy enemy.

So, for your statement, your thorough analysis includes:

1) You are a chrisitian. Have you not beleived in any other religion? If not, how do you know they have nothing better to offer?

2) You've heard 150 people. They were all christians? Have you talked to equal numbers of people of other faiths?

3) "In your experience..." Do you realize that your experience may be quite incomplete, and you are making a rather important decision/statement based on incomplete data? Besides, "your experience" is not very objective, is it?

4) You can get the same or better experience from eating certain mushrooms. See link: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/07_11_06.html. I promise no virus here...

I'm sorry, but your "analysis" is quite incomplete. You need to do a lot more research. It is quite biased toward christianity, and if you expect people in a skeptic forum to give it any credence, you will need to be a whole lot more objective.

1) I was pretty much an atheist until I read the Bible. Especially the New Testament... 2)I've seen Hindus, Muslims, and atheists, including myself come to Christianity and a personal relationship with God... #3 Everybody's experience is imcomplete. And you don't come to God by analyzing data, anymore than you ask someone to marry you by analyzing data. 4)a drug high is for a short time, where as a personal relationship with God is permanent and free.

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  13:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
1) So the answer is no. And by atheist what exactly do you mean?

2) So the answer is no. You have not talked to people who are devout believers in other religions.

3) Of course if you ask someone to marry you is based on data. You don't understand the word data. Emotions are data. Feelings are data. That you don't see those as data says something.

4) It is neither permanent or free (assuming for the sake of argument that god exists and that you are talking about the christian god). You just have the equivalent of Stockholmn syndrome.

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 08/30/2006 13:22:38
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  13:36:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
But those laws and commandments may be far from Ultimate Truth and thus the True Supreme God. I also believe my God is perfect and I will never, with my human mind, be able understand everything about Him.
Do you believe there has been, is, or will be someone human who understand the Ultimate Truth?

Oh, one other thing.
There are several of us who have had a long history in the Christian faith. I myself have some 10-15 years experience, and was baptised in the Pentecostal Church in Sweden. Don't assume that you are the only one who's read the Bible, and have had "experiences" of faith.
I willing to bet my immortal soul that we have SFN-member who know the Bible much more intimately that you do...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  13:45:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:

quote:
[brI respect the commitment of someone willing to die for a cause. But that cause may be far from Ultimate Truth and God. I also respect the right of a sincere religion to have laws and commandments. But those laws and commandments may be far from Ultimate Truth and thus the True Supreme God. I also believe my God is perfect and I will never, with my human mind, be able understand everything about Him.

Okay, I'm not sure I got an answer, so a yes or no will do.

If a false religion or a false prophet said kill the infidels I would not respect that command. If "The True" Supreme God said kill the infidels I would respect that command. But I believe God wants all to be happy. But I believe universal laws are necessary to prevent chaos. And if people continually "choose" to disobey God's laws they will receive the punishment that God has chosen, which may include death or damnation.

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 08/30/2006 14:05:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds.