Our Skeptic Forums
 Pseudoscience
 Global Consciousness
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SkepticalSlayer

3 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  13:05:04  Show Profile Send SkepticalSlayer a Private Message
I was searching the net while bored one day looking for something of interest and I found this page about an apparent phenomena called "global consciousness". I'm still skeptical but I've read from other scientific sites about the experients being repeated numerous times having similar results. Is there any materialistic way to explain these results? I'm that too familiar with maths and science but they do seem to indicate something going on here.

All open minds have to come to a point where they close down on something solid.

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  13:36:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SkepticalSlayer

I was searching the net while bored one day looking for something of interest and I found this page about an apparent phenomena called "global consciousness". I'm still skeptical but I've read from other scientific sites about the experients being repeated numerous times having similar results. Is there any materialistic way to explain these results? I'm that too familiar with maths and science but they do seem to indicate something going on here.
Welcome to the SFN.

Could you post a link to the page(s) you came across?

I googled global consciousness. Here's a few links I came up with.

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/
http://globalspirit.org/home.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Consciousness_Project
http://www.skepticnews.com/2005/02/rednova_news_ca.html
http://www.davidicke.net/mysteries/life/globalconsciousness.html
Go to Top of Page

SkepticalSlayer

3 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  14:06:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SkepticalSlayer a Private Message
It was a while ago that I checked this out but I think I found an artcile in Nexus about it. This made me feel that it was a serious investigation.
Thanks for those links. I only checked the skeptical ones so far. They have seemed to have raised some good points though I really don't like it when they so such an opinionated bias to it.
So it seems that what they're getting at is that they used their evidence selectively and only chose the events that had a spike near to them. Is this true? Wikipedia also raised the point of establishing how significant an event is and how consciousness is supposed to respond to it.
I heard of some guy here who seems pretty confident at debating people. I wonder if he has anything good to add. It seems he usually has.

All open minds have to come to a point where they close down on something solid.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  17:29:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
A quick search of skepdic, I think this is the phenomena to which you refer... http://skepdic.com/monkey.html

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  22:22:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SkepticalSlayer

It was a while ago that I checked this out but I think I found an artcile in Nexus about it. This made me feel that it was a serious investigation.
Do you remember the url for the Nexus home page? Is this it?
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/
quote:
Thanks for those links. I only checked the skeptical ones so far. They have seemed to have raised some good points though I really don't like it when they so such an opinionated bias to it.
So it seems that what they're getting at is that they used their evidence selectively and only chose the events that had a spike near to them. Is this true?
I don't know if it's true or not. I think the problem is that no one really knows what criteria they use in selecting the events.
quote:
Wikipedia also raised the point of establishing how significant an event is and how consciousness is supposed to respond to it.
Yeah, there's a lot of problems with the Global Consciousness Project but I think the Wikipedia article sums it up pretty well.
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  00:29:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
Just wanted to point out that there's another thread on the Global Consciousness Project over here.
Edited by - dv82matt on 07/16/2005 00:44:24
Go to Top of Page

SkepticalSlayer

3 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:49:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SkepticalSlayer a Private Message
I think the hundreth monkey syndome is similar to globla consciousness though different in that it was "discovered" in an anecdotal way. With the GCP they used REGs.
I found this page on it:
http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC09/Myers.htm
There are two articles on there that seem to have different conclusions in them. In one it seems that potato washing wasn't that common but in the second one it seems to have reached other islands. I guess I will have to read the original sources. Is there any reason I should believe them though?
Potato washing also doesn't seem such an unlikely thing to do. When I first heard of the phenomena I thought it would be something more complex and less natural like a dance move.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  11:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Ok, so you're referring to Jung's idea of a global conciousness?

quote:
Where do we draw the line between that which we are willing to believe, and that which seems so far-fetched that we deny it instinctively? Does the emotional or aesthetic appeal of a construct influence whether or not we consider it possible? What if we were to find compelling evidence of a global force influenced by human events...events like the fall of the Soviet Union, the death of Princess Diana, or the 9-11 attacks? What would such a discovery mean? This is what we asked Roger Nelson of Princeton's Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) Unit about the controversial Global Consciousness Project.

The language used by the GCP, is classic psuedoscience. It's lent credence by the use of terms from quantum theory and physics. However, quantum effects are on the level of the very (multiple times) small. To use quantum effects to explain something that occurs on a global level shows an extreme misunderstanding of quantum physics.

from: http://www.csicop.org/si/9701/quantum-quackery.html

quote:
Certain interpretations of quantum mechanics, the revolutionary theory developed early in the century to account for the anomalous behavior of light and atoms, are being misconstrued so as to imply that only thoughts are real and that the physical universe is the product of a cosmic mind to which the human mind is linked throughout space and time. This interpretation has provided an ostensibly scientific basis for various mind-over-matter claims, from ESP to alternative medicine. "Quantum mysticism" also forms part of the intellectual backdrop for the postmodern assertion that science has no claim on objective reality.

I wonder whether Anne McCafferey borrowed the 'egg' idea for 'To Ride Pegasus' or whether they borrowed the 'egg' idea from her. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345336038/pingspages/102-2811123-0336110

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  13:16:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
GCP - 1998
To Ride Pegasus - 1986

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  14:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Oh my, that is just too funny!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.