SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  08:42:29  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2+shtml/281443.shtml

From the 11am CDT advisory....

quote:
REPEATING THE 10 AM CDT POSITION...26.0 N... 88.1 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...
175 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 907 MB.

quote:
HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES FROM THE
CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 205 MILES.

quote:
COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 18 TO 22 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS...LOCALLY AS HIGH AS 28 FEET ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS
BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE
CENTER MAKES LANDFALL.

.... Nothing to really say. Just hope they pay attention to the evac orders over there.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Edited by - Dude on 08/28/2005 11:25:57

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  08:44:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Yes, and Mobile (where I am) is going to get something too. I feel really bad for N'Orleans, but I am really glad that storm isn't heading for Mobile too....one man's blessing is another man's curse I guess.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  10:53:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
There seems to be a problem with the link above. This link should take you to a forecast, watches, and warnings page for New Orleans and vicinity...

Current Conditions, Forecasts, Watches and Warnings for St. Helena, LA

From the sound of the NOAA warnings, this one looks like they're expecting quite a lot of severe damage.
quote:
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINA
A most powerful hurricane with unprecedented strength, rivaling the intensity of Hurricane Camille of 1969.

Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks, perhaps longer. At least one half of well constructed homes will have roof and wall failure. All gabled roofs will fail, leaving those homes severely damaged or destroyed.

The majority of industrial buildings will become non functional. Partial to complete wall and roof failure is expected. All wood framed low rising apartment buildings will be destroyed. Concrete block low rise apartments will sustain major damage, including some wall and roof failure.

High rise office and apartment buildings will sway dangerously, a few to the point of total collapse. All windows will blow out.

Airborne debris will be widespread, and may include heavy items such as household appliances and even light vehicles. Sport utility vehicles and light trucks will be moved. The blown debris will create additional destruction. Persons, pets, and livestock exposed to the winds will face certain death if struck.

Power outages will last for weeks, as most power poles will be down and transformers destroyed. Water shortages will make human suffering incredible by modern standards.

The vast majority of native trees will be snapped or uprooted. Only the heartiest will remain standing, but be totally defoliated. Few crops will remain. Livestock left exposed to the winds will be killed.

An inland hurricane wind warning is issued when sustained winds near hurricane force, or frequent gusts at or above hurricane force, are certain within the next 12 to 24 hours.

Once tropical storm and hurricane force winds onset, do not venture outside!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  11:12:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I just love this last line:

quote:
Once tropical storm and hurricane force winds onset, do not venture outside!

Anyone who really needs that deserves whatever is coming to them.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  12:38:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
New Orleans and the French Quarter - among my favorite places on Earth! (And I've been around.) New Orleans folks will also have to go quite a ways to get to higher ground. This wonderful town is basically built at the bottom of a big bowl surrounded by water. I remember streets flooding just from a short rain.

I hope they get through this with just high winds and no storm surge though that seems unlikely, and this region is really set up to exacerbate the effects of a hurricane. Very scary.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  14:39:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
They will recover as everyone does. Not that I don't have any empathy.

I'm waiting for Robertson or his like minded clones to announce it's God's wrath for the gay lifestyle.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  15:18:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

They will recover as everyone does. Not that I don't have any empathy.

I'm waiting for Robertson or his like minded clones to announce it's God's wrath for the gay lifestyle.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9102443/

Just give Major Dipshit Fred Phelps a day or two to come around. He's already claiming "American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays."

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  15:21:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal...
This afternoon I was chatting with a friend, a generally rational and intelligent person. But every now and then even the mostly sane ones come up with some silly surprises. We were talking about the potential damage of the hurricane and she was quick to say, "Oh yes, Edgar Cayce predicted it!" Then she posted a link to a website called Prophecy And Earth Changes.

When they talk about us in the future you can be pretty sure they won't refer to our current times as an "Age of Enlightenment"!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  15:33:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

New Orleans and the French Quarter - among my favorite places on Earth! (And I've been around.) New Orleans folks will also have to go quite a ways to get to higher ground. This wonderful town is basically built at the bottom of a big bowl surrounded by water. I remember streets flooding just from a short rain.

I hope they get through this with just high winds and no storm surge though that seems unlikely, and this region is really set up to exacerbate the effects of a hurricane. Very scary.

My sentiments exactly. I can only hope that the city is prepared enough to prevent major loss of life. The rest can be rebuilt.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  19:27:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Bad news for oil prices too

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  21:21:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I want to petition the Oxford dictionary linguists to remove a word from the English language.

"Hunker"

Because I have this irrational urge to slap all these idiot politicians and reporters on the news who use the phrase "hunker down".

I twitch every time I hear it.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  22:24:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
I found a site where you can follow the storm on radar

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  22:43:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
For a java loop of the storm.....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-vis-loop.html

I know Tim lives in Louisiana, exactly where I am not quite sure but I hope all goes okay for him...

They are called cyclones over here.....

Years ago, when I lived in Queensland, a friend and I drove 650 kms to experience one first hand. It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life.

Ahhhh, the impetuousness (or stupidity) of youth

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Edited by - gezzam on 08/28/2005 22:48:56
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  00:40:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

Don't the tropical systems in the southern hemisphere spin clockwise?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  03:02:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Mean ol' Monday morning. Wishing all of you Gulf Coasters luck, here she comes.....

Be safe...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  03:53:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:

Don't the tropical systems in the southern hemisphere spin clockwise?

Yup, low pressure systems spin clockwise, high pressure anti-clockwise. We used to wait with baited breath for the cyclone season for the great swells to hit the Queensland coast.

Down south in Victoria where I live now, we also have huge low pressure systems, but due to the fact they form over the Southern Ocean they are not as intense as cyclones. They do however tend to last longer and provide good solid groundswells at Bells Beach and the rest of the southern coast.

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Edited by - gezzam on 08/29/2005 03:54:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.