Get post url
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  17:58:54  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I didn't get this idea from anyone, honest.

How about a "Get post url" button for each post.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  20:49:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I didn't get this idea from anyone, honest.

How about a "Get post url" button for each post.

Yes! What an excellent idea! It could be a small icon right-adjusted in the same "cell" as the PM, Reply-With-Quotes, etc. icons. On the same line as the text "Posted - 01/24/2006 : 17:58:54"

It should be fairly easy to implement. The information already exist at compilation time.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 01/24/2006 20:51:04
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  03:04:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Howz bout an AI skeptical personality/SFN member who'd post at random or upon request? I've only seen AOL once or twice (I'd imagine Mab and non-US SFN people have never seen it) but they have this robot-girl with lightbulbs for ears you can chat with... a crude AI project (maybe they're making it better, idunno) and it was really pretty funny. SFN has a database of many thousands of posts, I'm sure... when a question is asked or comment requested, search it by keywords and string somethin' together, maybe with the help of some AI stuff that's already been developed and is out on the net somewhere.

I bet the results could be pretty comical! On the other hand, maybe that's "old stuff" and we've got a number of them routinely posting right now (it's not me... I'm real, I promise.)

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  08:27:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
Why a button? Why not just simply have the post url written out on that line, ready to be copied?

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  08:53:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Subjectmatter

Why a button? Why not just simply have the post url written out on that line, ready to be copied?

That would be a design issue. It just wouldn't look good. But a small icon that would open up a new browser window with the "correct" URL would be least invasive in the overall design of the SFN-pages.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  20:12:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, Ron: setting up something like the Chomskybot would be pretty easy with some of our more... uh... memorable users.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  02:14:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Yeah, have a drop-down list of all SFN members, click on one or more (for "merged personality" or "schizophrenic" opinion generation) and pull random fragments out of their posts and stringum! Good idea!

But funny as that would be, let me suggest a "milder" version as some might not take kindly to having their posts bastardized into a comedy routine (if my own posts were used I'd laugh myself, but everyone might not take things that lightly(???) I'll throw together a few lists and an example of how it might work (probably just send it as a Word or Excel document with Active X controls on it... it would only take a few lines of program code anyway if it were done in a simple way as described in the link... just parsing maybe 4 randomly selected fragments from 4 respective lists into a sentence... the program code would be simple... the labor would be just a matter of creating lists for "personalities." You could have a basic "Expert Opinion", "Generate Skeptical Opinion" (wuddever) button with lists consistent with the categories (Politics, Health, etc. etc.) Or, for example, in the Politics forum you could have a "Request Expert Opinion" button with a drop-down list next to it (i.e. Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Newt Gingrich, Josef Stalin... etc. etc.) and each name would just have 4 associated lists. More "personalities" could be added over time as people felt so inclined to create lists, or the lists could be appended to add more fragments. If SFN members added personalities, and fragments to lists as they felt like it, the results could be kind of neat. If it generates humorous results, it would be a real easy addition to the website, and the some of the numerous creative people using SFN might be able throw together some lists that would generate comical results if they felt so inclined (I could see where more than one person might want to do a W. "simulation"... I'm not sure who I'll do- many possibilities. Maybe I'll do a "Health" forum personality like Andrew Weil or something.) Easy to add an option to "merge personalities" to create "selectively schizophrenic" opinions and such. From the "All Personalities" list, cross Deepak Chopra from the "Health" forum with Dubya from "Politics"? Could be some good stuff.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  17:49:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
I'm sure that I read somewhere how to put in a link to a particular post. I've re-read the FAQ and done a bit of a search, but I'll be stuffed if I can find it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  18:09:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

I'm sure that I read somewhere how to put in a link to a particular post. I've re-read the FAQ and done a bit of a search, but I'll be stuffed if I can find it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It was in one of the Post-of-the-Month threads. I can't find them though.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  18:26:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Found it! And reposting it here...

How to get a specific post's URL, crash course:

There are several ways for the HTML-savvy, but for regular users, this is probably the simplest way:

1) get the URL to the page in which the post is, and copy it. In this case, page 9:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5483&whichpage=9

2) Find the post of your choice, and click the reply-with-quote button.

3) Once the reply-page has opened, examine the URL:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=82354&TOPIC_ID=5483&FORUM_ID=5

The number bolded, 82354 is the id-number of the post.

4) add the bracket sign '#' and the number, to the URL you copied in the first stage:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5483&whichpage=9#82354

5) Done! You may now hide the link in the URL-forum code:
[url="http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5483&whichpage=9#82354"]GeeMack's post[/url]

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 03/26/2006 11:47:35
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  11:46:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
How to get a specific post's URL, advanced crash course:

If the subject is locked (and/or Archived) and you can't "Reply" to it, the only way to get the post-number is to fish it out of the raw HTML code. As per the post above:

1) get the URL to the page in which the post is, and copy it. In this case there is no page forward, but having the whichpage=1 will still work, though it is not mandatory:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5540&whichpage=1

2) Since the time of posting of any specific post is fairly unique, use it to locate the the post in the raw HTML-code:

3) mark-and-copy the posting time (for my previous post above, the time is 18:26:13) Select the time, copy it.

4) In the Internet Explorer menu, under "View" select "Source" to open the Notepad with the HTML source code.

5) In Notepad, go to the menu Edit and Search for the time-stamp you copied in step 3.

6) Back up the cursor four lines, and go to the end of the line and look for an HTML-tag that looks like this:
<a name="86125"></a>
The number is the bookmark that points to the post. Include the "#"-sign, then the number at the end of the URL just as you do in my previous post, and you'll be allright.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 03/26/2006 11:54:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.