Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  02:22:00  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
According to the Bad Astronomy Website:
quote:
Blog entry posted on 2006-02-06 15:54:07
"James Randi in the hospital"
I just learned that James Randi is in the hospital. He suffered a heart attack late last week, and had to have bypass surgery...

Read more about James Randi in the hospital in the Bad Astronomy Blog.

Blog link:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  07:55:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And the JREF Homepage verifies that Randi had bypass surgery last Thursday.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  09:31:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
There's also the JREF forums thread Get Well, Randi, the Skepticality thread James Randi in the hospital.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  09:45:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Ah geeze....

Sometimes we confer a little immortality upon some people. It seems that they will be there forever, influencing our thoughts, our way of looking at the world and ultimatly, our lives. To me, Randi is one of these.

Hang in there, Amazin' James....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  09:49:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Oh wow!!! I'm shocked. Just a week ago he looked the picture of health... I am bummed.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  14:24:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I posted my comments on the BA Blog if anyone is interested. Mostly comments about taking advantage of the science of preventative medicine when things like this remind us of our vulnerabilities, and the state of medical science treating MIs and repairing cardiac blood supply are very good. He should do well.

There's also some stuff about expecting Sylvia Brown to take credit for predicting he'd have heart trouble a few years ago. As if predicting one will get the most common affliction of one's age group is a hard call.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  14:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Bicyclegal sed:
quote:
There's also some stuff about expecting Sylvia Brown to take credit for predicting he'd have heart trouble a few years ago. As if predicting one will get the most common affliction of one's age group is a hard call.

Yeah, like guessing that an old guy who is constantly busy is going to have a heart attack requires a "psychic". Did Sylvia "Avoid the Challenge" Browne give any date for the MI? My Spidey-sense tells me Sylvia's going to die, someday.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  14:54:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Nah, Sylvia "sensed" that Randi had something wrong on the left side of his heart. This particular episode occured, I read, on the right side. Someone else suggested that Sylvia will just say, "no, I meant my left."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  14:56:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Hilarious, Dave!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  17:48:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

quote:
Quote: Swoopy:
What do we think of creating an audio get well card for Mr. Randi? The request could be cross posted on all of the major boards (especially the JREF) and those who wanted to contribute a message could send it as a mp3 file to us, or call our Skype or feedback line and leave them. I could compile them all as a collage and send them to Jeff Wagg.

I did a similar thing for Derek called Project Howdy, and it was really cool to hear all the well wishes that everyone sent. It really lifted his spirits.

Thoughts?

quote:
Me:
Great idea. May I repost this at SFN?

quote:

Yep. Pass it around! Audio files can be sent to feedback@skepticality.com, or you can call our listener line and leave voicemail at 206-888-4629.

- Swoopy

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  18:58:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Audio card's a great idea! I'm in, rememeber me!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  20:24:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Kil wrote: Oh wow!!! I'm shocked. Just a week ago he looked the picture of health... I am bummed.

Yeah, I'm bummed too. However, too many people in our society today, what with all our good health care, get sick and sicker and sicker and when they finally go they are a shadow of who they once were. Personally I'd rather be the picture of health and then just keel over dead one day. Though it seems that will not be the fate of Mr. Randi since his condition is stable. Hopefully he'll be just as healthy as before in a few speedy months.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  22:56:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Bypass surgery, while not without risks, is a very well known and well understood procedure.

As a nurse I have seen many many people helped by it, alot of them significantly older and in worse apparent health than Randi was prior to his.

Statistically he has an excellent chance at a (more or less) full recovery.

Here's hoping for the best!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.