Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  23:16:44  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
.... even though it reads like an article from "The Onion".

Click it, only takes 2 minutes to read, and that is counting the 100 seconds you sit stunned after reading the first two paragraphs.

quote:
Indicted Rep. Tom DeLay, forced to step down as the No. 2 Republican in the House, scored a soft landing Wednesday as GOP leaders rewarded him with a coveted seat on the Appropriations Committee.

DeLay, R-Texas, also claimed a seat on the subcommittee overseeing the Justice Department, which is currently investigating an influence-peddling scandal involving disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff and his dealings with lawmakers.

It is enough to render one speechless.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  23:18:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Good summary, but dead link.

This one should work, though:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060208/ap_on_go_co/delay_appropriations_1

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/08/2006 23:25:19
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  23:35:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
How bizarre. The House GOP are just digging the holes deeper. I love this Democratic quote:

"'Allowing Tom DeLay to sit on a committee in charge of giving out money is like putting Michael Brown back in charge of FEMA — Republicans in Congress just can't seem to resist standing by their man,' said Bill Burton, spokesman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee."

You really shouldn't give your opponents such good ammunition.

Hilarious, too, is Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' statement before the Senate today [Edit: Actually, it was on Feb. 6th] that such Presidents as Washington and Lincoln had authorized "far more electronic surveillance" than has Bush! Maybe the Senate should have put him under oath? [Edit: My lousy memory got the quote slightly wrong. The correct quote is in my next post, below.]

Now, I suspect Gonzales may have lied on his resume about having completed grade school. Where do they get these clowns?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/09/2006 04:14:22
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  23:48:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Direct quote, from Washington Post's transcript of the hearing:

GONZALES: I gave in my opening statement, Senator, examples where President Washington, President Lincoln, President Wilson, President Roosevelt have all authorized electronic surveillance of the enemy on a far broader scale -- far broader -- without any kind of probable cause standard, all communications in and out of the country.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  02:48:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Direct quote, from Washington Post's transcript of the hearing:

GONZALES: I gave in my opening statement, Senator, examples where President Washington, President Lincoln, President Wilson, President Roosevelt have all authorized electronic surveillance of the enemy on a far broader scale -- far broader -- without any kind of probable cause standard, all communications in and out of the country.

Electronic suveilence? Washington and Lincoln? I am astonished, appalled, and dismayed! I am also wonderstruck that this utter ignoramous can feed and dress himself -- uh, he can, can't he?

DeLay has been scumbagging his way around Congress for a long time and still retains most of his power. And he knows where a lot of bodies (figuritive bodies, one hopes, but can't be sure) are buried. It is more important to the Republicans to keep in his favor than to see Justice served on one of their own.

Let's give the fuckers a little more rope.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  03:38:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Makes you wonder what shit Delay has on everyone that gives him the power he has. Do you suppose he has something like Hoover's files or just a lot of money to hand out?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  03:46:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Most of those who were in the recent chat were startled and appalled to hear my paranoid concern that Bush might not leave office at the end of his term.

I really do appreciate the underlying concern for my mental state, which I detected. But (I think) I really am emotionally stable. Dead wrong, perhaps, but not clinically paranoid.

Since Gonzales is in effect the President's chief lawyer and one of his primary official restrainers of idiocy, you may now begin to understand why I'm worried. I do think my worries are probably unjustified, but in my 60 years, I've never had cause to even wonder about the possibility of a coup before. On the bright side, if a coup is coming, I expect these fools to fuck it up royally.

I am convinced this pack of ignorant morons is capable of anything. Mere impracticality, illegality, even unconstitutionality, hasn't phased them in the past. I shudder, considering that this gang of idiots is running a superpower. Be afraid, be very afraid. Or not. But do try not to be surprised if the President puts his dick into the fan big time.

But if we survive these times, we'll someday have a great laugh about this Administration's wacky antics.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/09/2006 04:19:35
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  04:26:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Most of those who were in the recent chat were startled and appalled to hear my paranoid concern that Bush might not leave office at the end of his term.

I really do appreciate the underlying concern for my mental state, which I detected. But I really am emotionally stable. Wrong, perhaps, but not clinically paranoid.

Since Gonzales is in effect the President's chief lawyer and one of his primary official restrainers of idiocy, you may now begin to understand why I'm worried. I do think my worries are probably unjustified, but in my 60 years, I've never had cause to even wonder about the possibility of a coup before. On the bright side, if a coup is coming, I expect these fools to fuck it up royally.

I am convinced this pack of ignorant morons is capable of anything. Mere impracticality, illegality, even unconstitutionality, hasn't phased them in the past. I shudder, considering that this gang of idiots is running a superpower. Be afraid, be very afraid. Or not. But do try not to be surprised if the President puts his dick into the fan big time.

But if we survive these times, we'll someday have a great laugh about this Administration's wacky antics.

Great minds think alike....

And I don't think that it would be all that hard to do -- just the right October Suprise, giving them the excuse to declare martial law, could kick off the coup.

History tells us that "public safety" and "protecting the populace" are usually the first and main rallying points for despotic actions. The steady rise of the Nazi Party in post WW-I Germany is a classic example.

In that case, Hitler was exactly the man to lead it. Bush is ambitious enough, but not compentent to even lead a circle-jerk, and certainly not for such an ambitious undertaking. If such should come to pass, he would probably be replaced "due to health." And the sheep would say, "Baaaa, baaaaa."

Yes, I am paranoid, and my greatest fear is that I am not paranoid enough.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  04:32:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
filthy frothed:
quote:

Great, filthy! I think we have the beginnings of a Paranoid Faction here!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  04:52:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

filthy frothed:
quote:

Great, filthy! I think we have the beginnings of a Paranoid Faction here!

Damn' straight!

Hoard canned goods and stockpile ammunition; can't hurt & might help.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  06:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

President BrownBack ... Now that scares me.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  07:55:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

I really do appreciate the underlying concern for my mental state, which I detected. But (I think) I really am emotionally stable. Dead wrong, perhaps, but not clinically paranoid.

Actually, I don't believe we made any judgement call on your emotional state. Wouldn't have been cricket. We did, however, question the reasonableness of the action and pointed out severe stumbling blocks to his actions.

Bush has scared even his own party. I have no doubt that Congress would hold elections and supplant the little criminal if he asserted any authority of martial law. Primarily since even during the worst wars of our nation, Presidential elections still occurred. If he decided to announce himself king, Congress would impeach him and remove him from office on the spot.

quote:

Never underestimate the power of human greed for power. Especially in Congress.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  09:39:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner...

The idea isn't as silly as it sounds. They've made noise about it before. Call me a member of the paranoid club if you like, but the current administration has a habit of putting out feelers to get the public ready for some pretty devious maneuvers. Delaying an election, by a little, could turn into a lot, and eventually a very long time. Remember the cakewalk in Iraq, three months, mission accomplished?

Last time around the Bush regime was pretty confident of Georgie's return to the throne. Next time around, unless some pretty unkosher moves are made, George won't be president again, even if a Republican is. But when have unkosher moves prevented the current administration from sleazing their way around the law? Paranoid or not, I'd keep an eye on these rats. I believe someone could get a successful hit in the 2008 psychic predictions thread if they predict at least an effort made to change election laws to allow for a third term or a strategic "delay" in deposing the Fuehrer.

In the cited article below, from July, 2004, months before the last election, George W. Bush's appointee (does the word appointee raise a red flag for anyone?) to the US Election Assistance Commission, DeForest Soaries Jr., began testing the waters for just exactly that eventuality. Oh, and Soaries's qualifications include, not surprisingly, a stint as a Baptist minister. Now who was it that said they weren't scared?
CNN, July 12, 2004 - Officials Discuss How to Delay Election Day:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. officials have discussed the idea of postponing Election Day in the event of a terrorist attack on or about that day, a Homeland Security Department spokesman said Sunday.

[...]

Soaries, who was appointed by President Bush, is a former New Jersey secretary of state and senior pastor of the 7,000-member First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens in Somerset.

Newsweek reported that Soaries expressed concern that no federal agency had the authority to postpone an election and asked Ridge to ask Congress to give his commission such power.
Edited by - GeeMack on 02/09/2006 09:44:06
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  10:43:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack
Paranoid or not, I'd keep an eye on these rats. I believe someone could get a successful hit in the 2008 psychic predictions thread if they predict at least an effort made to change election laws to allow for a third term or a strategic "delay" in deposing the Fuehrer.

(bolding mine)

The two-term limit for Presidents is set by the 22nd amendment to the Constitution. The only way to overturn it is with another Constitutional amendment. That requires a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate and ratification by three-fourths of the state legislatures. The only other way would be a Constitutional Convention, which must be called by two-thirds of the state legislatures.

That would be an insanely difficult thing to accomplish.

The possibility of using some sort of "emergency" to retain Tipsy McStagger in office after his term expires is a wee bit more plausible, but for the long term doesn't seem to be in the interest of the people who he shills for. It would be infinitely less troublesome for them simply to put up another figurehead who would continue to pursue the same bought-and-paid-for policies and skip all the controversy and disruption that would accompany an attempt to proclaim a Chimperor.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  11:22:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
If he decided to announce himself king, Congress would impeach him and remove him from office on the spot.

If he did, he'd be dead in a matter of hours. They wouldnt have a chance to impeach him.

It would mean armed insurection, and I'm betting that most of the military would not side with any president who tried such a thing.

As for changing the law to allow for a third term.... the republicans were the ones to draft the 2 term limit legislation in the first place. FDR scared the crap out of them.

I can't see such a thing ever happening. There are still enough traditional republicans in congress to prevent such legislation.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  13:11:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Most of those who were in the recent chat were startled and appalled to hear my paranoid concern that Bush might not leave office at the end of his term....
Don't know how old you are but, if you were around during the Nixon affair, there was a lot of talk about this very thing. It didn't happen though.

I'm going to post some more on this later tonight. I have to go right now but I've read/seen two significant things since yesterday giving a different perspective on the wiretapping and on the Danish cartoons.

You'll have to stay tuned.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.