Red Rain
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  17:18:55  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0601022

quote:
A red rain phenomenon occurred in Kerala, India starting from 25th July 2001, in which the rainwater appeared coloured in various localized places that are spread over a few hundred kilometers in Kerala. Maximum cases were reported during the first 10 days and isolated cases were found to occur for about 2 months. The striking red colouration of the rainwater was found to be due to the suspension of microscopic red particles having the appearance of biological cells. These particles have no similarity with usual desert dust. An estimated minimum quantity of 50,000 kg of red particles has fallen from the sky through red rain. An analysis of this strange phenomenon further shows that the conventional atmospheric transport processes like dust storms etc. cannot explain this phenomenon. The electron microscopic study of the red particles shows fine cell structure indicating their biological cell like nature. EDAX analysis shows that the major elements present in these cell like particles are carbon and oxygen. Strangely, a test for DNA using Ethidium Bromide dye fluorescence technique indicates absence of DNA in these cells. In the context of a suspected link between a meteor airburst event and the red rain, the possibility for the extraterrestrial origin of these particles from cometary fragments is discussed.

Pretty interesting paper but it oversteps it's bounds in the conclusion:

quote:
The present study of red rain phenomenon of Kerala shows that the particles, which caused the red colouration of the red rain, are not possibly of terrestrial origin.

While a better conclusion would have been "We don't know of any way to explain the red rain by terrestrial origin."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  17:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
hrrmmm.....

Red extraterrestrial biological particles raining down on Earth?

I wonder what comes next?

Chtorr!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  19:39:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
next sign of the apocalypse, Bush steps down.

Although this seems cool, Why have I never heard of the journal that published this.

the BBC article on the rain said this:
quote:
The institute's Director, M Baba, said the scientists would not be able to say anything until the analysis was completed. He said it might take up to three weeks to reach a conclusion.

but the author of the article in the journal is named Godfrey Louis.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  19:41:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
never mind. the journal is put out by Cornell University.

I don't know what arXiv stands for though.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  02:15:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Insight from BAUT post, if the rain occurred over 2 months yet was only local, it can't possiby be from above the Earth. Why would it keep hitting the same spot with a rotating planet?

My insight, any ET DNA would be recognizable by its uniqueness and easily determined. If the life evolved away from Earth for any significant time the DNA would be quite divergent.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/08/2006 02:16:11
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  06:00:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Im going to go way out on a limb here and say that this is not a Wildfire, so to speak.

But it did get me thinking about the potential for microorganisms which have laid dormant on this planet during the latest 'cool' phase and if the warming of the planet might not trigger a bloom of unknown microbes.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  06:56:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
My guess, and it's strictly a guess, would be some sort of cynobacteria; an algae, perhaps.

But I'll bet the roll that it's not ET.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  09:36:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
The cells look pretty much exactly like red blood cells, which are red, and have no DNA. Doesn't that fit pretty much everything given in the paper?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:18:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

The cells look pretty much exactly like red blood cells, which are red, and have no DNA. Doesn't that fit pretty much everything given in the paper?

The cells do bare a striking resemblance to red blood cells, and the elemental composition seems, at least qualitatively, to check out as well.
The red-rain cells apparently range in size between 4 and 10 microns, whereas typical erythrocytes are somewhere between 6 and 8. Not a perfect match, but fairly close as well.
The absorbance spectrum is a bit odd though. The rain-cells seem to have absorbtion maxima at around 500 and 600 nm, whereas typical erythrocytes have maxima at around 450 and 550 nm.

What i would like to see is some sort of chemical analysis to determine the form of the carbon that is present. It's fairly easy to test wether is it present in a form (lipids, protein, small metabolites) that also occurs in normal cells.
In fact, i myself would not have allowed this paper to pass peer review without it.
In addition, i think it's possible to determine extraterrestial origin of material by checking the isotopic composition of the atoms in the material.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:51:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor

I don't know what arXiv stands for though.
ArXiv.org is Cornell's electronic repository of science articles. Anyone with any sort of university affiliation can upload papers to ArXiv. It, itself, isn't peer reviewed.

Note that the article in question says that it has been "accepted for publication in Astrophysics and Space Science." But why that journal would choose to publish so Earthbound, meteorological and wildly speculative I couldn't say.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  02:20:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I went to this site and from there the article is available in three formats.

Re the time frame of the rain:
quote:

An examination of the red rain data shows that more than 85% of the red rain cases occurred during the first 10 days after the airburst event. This delayed time distribution for the first few days can be accounted as due to the slow settling of the microscopic red rain particles in the atmosphere, with a settling rate of a few hundred meters per day. For this the meteor disintegration is expected to provide a vertical distribution of particles spanning over a few kilometres above the rain clouds. The remaining 15 % of the isolated delayed red rain cases occurred with a delay of up to 60 days, which presumably also reflect gradual settling of the particles in the upper atmosphere ....
They claim some meteor event occurred then the rain and that the particles slowly drifted down from the upper atmosphere. But here we have a couple problems. If that's the case, where is the additional material fro the meteor "burst"? And why wouldn't the upper atmosphere have carried the material further?

Then there is the composition of the stuff:

C 49.53%
O 45.42%
by weight

No DNA and mostly carbon and oxygen sounds like mineral material not organic by any stretch. The particles look like blood cells but that is not the composition of proteins. So the only thing organic here is the shape and appearance. Lots of things look organic but aren't. There is no evidence here there is any life form involved unless you subscribe to the Moon Rock People theory.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.