Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  03:46:38  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
We've all got some of this stuff around. I used to carry it in my tool box when I was driving big truck and still keep a roll in my vehicle. The seat on my ratty, old '46 Harley has a tear patched with it (the patch is under the cat).

I speak, of course, of Duct Tape.
quote:
When Forbes.com compiled its list of the 20 most important tools of all time, we asked a panel of scientists, historians and engineers to look at the devices that have most impacted human civilization and shaped the course of history. The final list highlighted tools that have been around for ages: the knife, the abacus, the compass. But critics soon started raising objections. What about duct tape, the sticky silver stuff that can do just about anything?

A rose by any other name is, oh yes, Duct Tape, and without it and WD-40, civilization as we know it will surely collapse!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  08:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
The handyman's secret weapon: a cute kitty?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  08:17:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/DHS/

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/11/emergency.supplies/

Let us not forget the importance that Duct Tape may have to our security…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  08:18:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
So, do you sit on the cat or is the cat merely aesthetic?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  08:46:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

So, do you sit on the cat or is the cat merely aesthetic?

Merely aesthetic, and on loan from from my elder daughter, who left the nest some 15 or so years ago and forgot her cat. And when she visits, she never remembers to take the thing with her when she leaves. Absent-minded kid...

Oh well, the cat (named 'Cat') makes the bike look a little better. Anything that hasn't been washed in well over 25 years needs all the help it can get.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  09:11:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
I used to have a duct tape wallet.

when I go on long canoe trips in northern Minnesota or Canada, Duct tape is THE most important thing. If (god forbid) you hit a rock, Duct tape can fix it up in no time flat. It is also great for bandages.

Black matte duct tape is perhaps the most badass thing to be created by man.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  10:15:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor

I used to have a duct tape wallet.

when I go on long canoe trips in northern Minnesota or Canada, Duct tape is THE most important thing. If (god forbid) you hit a rock, Duct tape can fix it up in no time flat. It is also great for bandages.

Duct tape is the "force" alluded to in the Staw Wars trillogy (the good one, not the Ep1-2 crap that tried to redeem itself in 3).

It has a light side, a dark side, and holds the universe together.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  10:34:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor

That and Gorrila Glue.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  10:52:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
On two of the Swedish web-forums I frequent, my user names are "Gaffa-man" and simply "Gaffa".
And for those who might have missed it, gaffa is a synonym for Duct-tape.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  11:58:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The carburetor on the above ratbike is a cobbled-up Del Orto, being unable to find the proper Linkert for it when we built the engine (still looking). It uses a piece of radiator hose for a manifold. That weather-checked, cracked away, and began leaking a couple of years ago, and you know the rest of the story. The Silver Savior kept the old crock in the wind until I got around to, and in the mood for, cutting another piece of hose and installing it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  14:20:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Can't quite remember who or where I'm stealing this from:

"If it moves, and shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move, and should, use WD-40."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  14:59:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
Or:

You can do anything with duct tape and a hammer. Duct tape puts things together, a hammer takes things apart.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  01:41:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
There was a Canadian comedy show called the Red Green in whch the title charachter built varius things using crude tools such as a chainsaw and plenty of duct tape. I don't know if it wsa ever shown outside canada, but I am sure it is available on DVD. It is a must for all duct tape enthusiasts. Red Green's motto was something like "If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy".

The actor who played Red Green was given the Order of Canada for his efforts in promoting duct tape awareness.

I have heard the duct tape was a wartime invention for sealing ammunition boxes. It became "duct tape" during the post war housing constuction boom when it was used on heating ducts.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  03:34:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

There was a Canadian comedy show called the Red Green in whch the title charachter built varius things using crude tools such as a chainsaw and plenty of duct tape. I don't know if it wsa ever shown outside canada, but I am sure it is available on DVD. It is a must for all duct tape enthusiasts. Red Green's motto was something like "If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy".

The actor who played Red Green was given the Order of Canada for his efforts in promoting duct tape awareness.

I have heard the duct tape was a wartime invention for sealing ammunition boxes. It became "duct tape" during the post war housing constuction boom when it was used on heating ducts.

At last! A Red Green reference! I was beginning to think that no one here ever watched class programing, what little there is...

It used to be shown on PBS, some years back. Unfortunately, it came on late enough that I had to tape it, and Red Green is where the title for the OP came from. It was a fun if low budget show, and I wish it was still around.

NASCAR pit crews use a lot of duct tape during races when the driver scuffs his race car and needs minor body repair. They also use it across portions of the radiator opening to help provide down force on the front end at high speeds. Sometimes they apply too much and the engine overheats, resulting in a panic pit stop to yank some off. Heh, it's a lot easier to put on than it is remove, and don't ever get any on your beard.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  08:03:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
NASCAR pit crews use a lot of duct tape

A hollowed out roll of duct tape filled with lead shot casually left lying on a car while it goes over the scale is very handy item.

I "inherited" 2 cats from my son when he delveloped an allergy to them. Fosortunately I semm to have lost my allergy to cats.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  08:34:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
The towel isn't anywhere on that list, let alone at the #1 spot. Such blasphemy will not be accepted! We shall unleash the ravenous Bug-blatter Beast of Trall upon Forbes! Since they have obviously no towels as they are not important enough, they won't be able to wrap it around there eyes, making the Bug-blatter Beast think that it can't see them.

(On another note, I've recently discovered that my mp3 players can also store my HHGG mp3's, and thus, have been listening to it all week.)

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.