New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  20:29:02  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Just to pass along.......Katie Couric on NBC has uttered the old lie "there are no Atheists in
foxholes." American Atheists has put out an action alert, and I agree, we
need to respond to her. Their action alert site:
http://www.atheists.org/action/alert-05-apr-2006.html
Or just e-mail Katie directly at: today@nbc.com
And hey! Pass it on! :o)

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Randy on 04/05/2006 20:32:31

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  05:16:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
But will she get those emails now?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  05:32:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Sent one off, but it doesn't matter. Like her employers, that heifer has all of the credibility of my house 'possum, who has none.

She looks presentable on camera, but that's about the extent of her. Pity...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:05:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
The one I heard once was more complete:
"There are no atheists in foxholes, and no believers in concentration camps."

Also found this little essay from a website I know little about. See a bit below the list on the following link, where they discuss the "battlefield effect":
http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/god10.htm

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  15:47:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
In the game Call of Duty, every level change there is a quote about war. One of them reads:

"There are no atheists in foxholes. This isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  01:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
No believers in the camps, Good one Chip. Of course Falwell and Robertson will probably claim its because they didn't know Jesus.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  07:30:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

In the game Call of Duty, every level change there is a quote about war. One of them reads:

"There are no atheists in foxholes. This isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."

That's a good one that I hadn't heard.

I sent an email, too. I don't expect it will change the world, but I feel a little better.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.