Cold Reading
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  20:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This thread is for posting comments about the SFN article “Cold Reading.” Please try to keep posts on topic. Only registered users may post comments.

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  00:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Great article. Very well organized and with colorful statements like Now, I wonder how many of us would that fit like a catfish fits a skillet? thrown in here and there in typical filthy style.
quote:
But Nostradamus was, and is, believed. In his interview with Catherine de Medici, he must have told her what she wanted to hear and had to quickly find out what that was. King Henri, as noted, was not impressed. Perhaps he'd seen it too often already. In his later years, the skill served Nostradamus well enough in casting personal horoscopes for the wealthy.
Interesting fact. This reminded me of how filthy also brought up Pascal's notable achievements in math and physics before he "drank the koolaid".

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  07:34:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Great article. Very well organized and with colorful statements like Now, I wonder how many of us would that fit like a catfish fits a skillet? thrown in here and there in typical filthy style.
quote:
But Nostradamus was, and is, believed. In his interview with Catherine de Medici, he must have told her what she wanted to hear and had to quickly find out what that was. King Henri, as noted, was not impressed. Perhaps he'd seen it too often already. In his later years, the skill served Nostradamus well enough in casting personal horoscopes for the wealthy.
Interesting fact. This reminded me of how filthy also brought up Pascal's notable achievements in math and physics before he "drank the koolaid".

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  22:06:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
The article reminds me of one time I was cold-reading a hairdresser I went to while still in school. I didn't know back then there was a term for what I did.
After some idle chat I asked her a couple of questions which indicated much more personal knowledge of her than she expected, since she thought she hadn't really told me such stuff. She was very freaked by it, until I told her how I deducted info from innocent comments, and made qualified guesses about her.

Edited to add:

Oh, and I almost forgot: Great article, Filthy.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/03/2006 21:37:24
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  16:16:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I was at the super market today running errands for my parents. I had to buy charcoal and ice cream. I go up to the checkout and put my things on the conveyer belt. It was then that the guy in front of me turns around and says, "They send you from the picnic?" to which I replied, "Huh?" He said, "Well, you got coals and ice cream." So I said, "Yea. Basically. You a cold reader?" to which he said, "Yea, everyone is."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  03:35:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Looking at the Skeptic Summary #132, I see that this article is up to fourth place in most viewed... Great going Filthy!

The most viewed article posted the last 3-4 years, I guess we need more articles written.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  13:19:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Last June, "Cold Reading" was in second place. It has consistently drawn lots of readers.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.