Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  16:47:09  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
About 2 or 3 years ago, I had a friend tell me that I should drink soda out of a plastic bottle because some molecules of plastic get in the soda and could give me cancer. I more or less just shrugged it off because I've never heard such a claim before, so I figured it was an isolated claim. Or maybe that she was just making it up.

But just a few days ago, I had my roommate tell me that I shouldn't microwave things on plastic plates for the same reason. When I pressed her for a source, she said she got it from her mother who saw it on the news. I took the opportunity to go into a diatribe about news programs and the lack of reliability they have, especially when it comes to science. So the whole issue of plastic causing cancer was side stepped.

Has anyone else ever heard claims like this? Who are they coming from?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  17:07:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I've heard that combining a microwave and styrofoam will open a rip in the space-time continium, or something like that.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  17:22:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I knew a guy at my old job who was battling cancer. He was convinced that moderns plastics release cancer-causing gases over time. He said the rise in modern cancers can traced back to coincide with plastic use. I felt sorry for the guy, but I didn't really buy it. I think that he, like most victims of disease, just needed someone or something to blame.

According to snopes.com, the rumor that microwaving food in plastic containers releases cancer-causing agents is false.
quote:
Dr. George Pauli, a leading Food and Drug Administration scientist, acknowledged that some plasticizers do migrate into foods, particularly those containing a lot of fat, oil, or sugars. But research has found no ill effects from consumption of plasticizers in FDA-approved plastic wraps or from freezing or re-using plastic water bottles. Even so, others remain unconvinced, and those on both sides of the issue recommend not letting plastic wrap touch food during microwaving.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  17:30:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Actually microwaving the Chinese takeout in that white Styrofoam folding container will result in Styrofoam tasting food. Mmmmm...
Paper containers without the wire handles are OK.
It's best to dump such food into a "microwave safe" dish or container. Styrofoam might also outgas when heated, though I don't know what the fumes contain.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  17:50:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
But if you take styrofoam and mix it with WD-40, it turns into this cool putty that you can light on fire.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  18:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
It's not the plastics themselves which are thought to be a danger, it's the chemicals used in the plastics manufacturing processes which have some people up in arms. Bisphenol A, for example, can leach out of plastics under certain conditions, and its health effects, if any, are still being considered.

The news program, your roommate's mother, and your roommate, Ricky, are all (probably) being needlessly alarmist. Especially since I think it's more likely that they'll develop cancer from breathing automobile exhaust while stuck in a traffic jam, but that idea probably doesn't freak 'em out like the plastics thing did, does it?

I wonder how many people there are in the US who would prefer to put themselves into a state of clinical dehydration (with all its associated immediate health risks) than to drink from a plastic bottle of water.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  15:31:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Dr. George Pauli, a leading Food and Drug Administration scientist, acknowledged that some plasticizers do migrate into foods, particularly those containing a lot of fat, oil, or sugars. But research has found no ill effects from consumption of plasticizers in FDA-approved plastic wraps or from freezing or re-using plastic water bottles. Even so, others remain unconvinced, and those on both sides of the issue recommend not letting plastic wrap touch food during microwaving.

I quite often find myself becoming annoyed when reading certain snippets of information in newspapers or on the net. At certain times I want to read more about the subject written about and sometimes getting references for how certain conclusions were reached. In this case I just felt like reading a bit more about the research that Dr. Pauli was referring to. Could I? I tried googling for George Pauli and plasticizers and all I got were hundreds of hits with the exact quote as above. Using scholar.google.com gives nothing useful. Without being able to get the relevant research, these things essentially turn into arguments from authority. Annoying... Sorry, I just just had to vent my feelings...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  10:27:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Most plastic contain dioxins and other carcinogens which are released into the air when the plastic is melted to the temperatures which are required for molding. In proper conditions this vapor is carefully vented so that the toxins dont poison the workers and those downwind from the production facility.

Of course a majority of the worlds facilities do not properly protect the production process and many of the workers face deadly risks. When you are looking to buy those cheap plastic goods from the dollar store you are poisoning Chinese and other cheap labor forces. (You evil bastards)

It it entirely conceivable that these chemicals could partially evaporate from the surface of your home plastics if they reach very high temperatures.

For those who think the coincidence is because we started using plastics, you should remember that in the 50-60s we started doing all sorts of things we never did before, like eating deep fried junk many times a week.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 05/12/2006 10:28:57
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  00:10:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
Has anyone else ever heard claims like this? Who are they coming from?

1. Yes.
2. It was so long ago, seems like at least a couple of years, I forget where but at that time they said it was only certain kinds of plastics and I believe under certain kinds of conditions. It wasn't just a quick item on the news though, I'm pretty sure.
I also thought it was acid type foods (orange juice, etc.) that shouldn't be put in plastic containers for too long. But I never researched it 'cause it wasn't anything applicable to me.
Hey, glass with lead is not good either, haha and who knows what else. Why worry! It will take a while to kill you, by that time you'll be so old you won't care! Have fun while you can.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  00:39:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Most plastic contain dioxins and other carcinogens which are released into the air when the plastic is melted to the temperatures which are required for molding. In proper conditions this vapor is carefully vented so that the toxins dont poison the workers and those downwind from the production facility.

Of course a majority of the worlds facilities do not properly protect the production process and many of the workers face deadly risks. When you are looking to buy those cheap plastic goods from the dollar store you are poisoning Chinese and other cheap labor forces. (You evil bastards)

It it entirely conceivable that these chemicals could partially evaporate from the surface of your home plastics if they reach very high temperatures.

For those who think the coincidence is because we started using plastics, you should remember that in the 50-60s we started doing all sorts of things we never did before, like eating deep fried junk many times a week.

It was just before the '50s when uranium was stopped from being used in ceramics to get the color yellow glaze. (Damn! it was so pretty too.) So, if anyone has any old dishes, you could be getting radiation poising too. (The world is a dangerous place)

I shop at the 99 Cents Only Stores (not everywhere yet but soon), they are like but better than the Dollar stores. Some of the plastic items they have are from Israel too. How will Israel get money to buy bomber planes if you don't buy that stuff?

Speaking of dioxin, because I work with that stuff. Here's an article from a well known trade magazine, that might be of interest.

http://www.ceramicstoday.com/articles/dioxins.htm

Conclusion:

Not knowing the exact exposure of ceramicists to the different isomers( different levels of toxicity) identified in kaolins and ball clays, it is very difficult to discuss this problem properly. For obvious reasons, we should be more worried about employees working in mining and processing these dioxin-containing clays, and by pottery factory employees than by studio potters, hobbyists, teachers and their students. The use of clays made without ball clays could be recommended for those more worried while awaiting more information. However, in Ceramics Monthly, January 2001, page 8, Dr. David Cleverly of EPA in Washington DC. is cited as having written the following to a potter:

The good news is that once the ball clay has been commercially processed in a kiln before it is sold to potters, all the dioxin is removed. We have verified this in EPA's laboratories. So you can rest easy and continue making great art out of ball clay.

Still, it would be good practice to proceed to good housekeeping of workshops, to avoid unnecessary dusty operations and to use an appropriate dust mask to prevent hazardous exposure.
Edited by - Snake on 05/13/2006 00:43:12
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  15:33:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I am a bit weird when it comes to this subject given my typical skeptical self. First, no way on the styrofoam. It melts in the microwave, that can't be good. I don't even like it when the food comes in it since heat alone melts it. And so does citric acid if my memory serves me. There's something about not using lemon in tea in a styrofoam cup.

But I also worry about the butter knife scraping the butter container, so I use a softer spatula when the container needs the sides scraped. Think about it. The containers are tested but do they check for how much plastic you'd consume, granted a few molecules at a time, by scraping the butter dish over your lifetime? Maybe harmless, but maybe not.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  12:07:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
That sounds like the same line that the people who sell "Radiation protectors" (I'm not entirely sure what they call them) for cell phones. Many admit that there is no evidence of the radiation from cell phones causing health problems, which there isn't, but they say "Just in case."

The question then becomes, where do you draw the line? Don't watch TV or use microwaves at all just in case that radiation may cause harm? Don't go anywhere near a car because of the exhaust, as Dave said? Don't go swimming on the off change that you might drink some pool water that has chlorine in it?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  00:07:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I quickly realized after my last post that beskeptigal was joking. But being in Boston, I didn't have computer access to delete my post and hide any trail of it.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  04:57:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
A while back, on an SNL Weekend report, I heard that cancer was hereditary in white lab rats. This got my attention so ...

Aw hell, I got nothing.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  03:13:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
But if you take styrofoam and mix it with WD-40, it turns into this cool putty that you can light on fire.

Works better with gasoline.

Disolve as much styrofoam in a given volume of gasoline as you can, and you have napalm.

Put it in a glass jar, stuff a rag in the top... you see where I'm going.

I also know how to make a small FAE with non-dairy cofee creamer, but that one is so easy people will be tempted to try it, so not posting it

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  04:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
A solution to the styrofoam peanut proliferation -- well, a few of 'em, anyway.

I always keep a few in my surf fishing tackle box to use with small bait fish such as finger mullet when using them dead. I simply cram the peanut, or a piece of it, into the bait, and that keeps it off the bottom. Especially good when fishing in eel grass beds.

Dude, I know the coffee creamer trick. It also works with flour and fine, dry sawdust. And iron grindings will go off with an impressive bang if they are fine enough to briefly suspend in air.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.