Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  21:48:10  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
This thursday I went together with my girlfriend to a funeral of a relative of hers.

While sitting in the bench in the church reflecting over the ceremony I was overwhelmed by the religiosity of it all. I didn't know how religious the dearly departed relative was, even though I've talked to him many times. The priest made unusually heavy proselytizing for being a Lutheran church, and I found myself appalled by the thought that my funeral might look the same as the one I was attending. Since I'm no longer religious, but refer to myself as agnostic/atheist/anti-theist, I want no part of any Jesus marketing campaign.

Besides writing down my living will (what to do if I become brain-dead kept alive in a support-machine or force-fed like Terri Schiavo, donation of organs and such), I will also write down my wishes for funeral ceremonies.
I will pick songs for them to sing that is appropriate for me, that I care for. I have three of them in mind. Come to think of it, AC/DC - Highway to Hell might be offensive and over the top for some, I'll have to pick a replacement.
There is one song by the Swedish duo Adolphson & Falk called "Vidare" that feels approriate. I will try to make a translation of the lyrics (at least parts of it) and post it here, and you'll see what I mean.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  22:00:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
What do you guys think of a sort of video presentation (put together while one is alive, obviously), to be played at the funeral? Cool way to show loved ones some final thoughts, favorite songs, poems, etc.; or is it just morbid and creepy?

Incidentally, if you aren't familiar with Philip Larkin's poem Aubade, I highly recommend it. (An aubade is traditionally a poem or song of or about lovers separating at dawn.)

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/11/2006 22:08:02
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  08:55:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
I think the best way to get the funeral you want is to pre-plan it with the funeral home you intend to use. That does not always require you to pre-pay. Check around.

I personally don't care what kind of funeral I have, as I'll be dead. Since it's for the people I love I'll be leaving behind, I want them to have whatever kind of service they find most comforting.

The best funeral I ever attended (damn, that sounds morbid) was for a much-loved local attorney (go figure!). It was in a church, but the music could have been from his favorite radio station. There was a slide show of pictures taken throughout his life. Best of all there was a box on a table with lots of paper and pens for anyone who wanted to write about the dearly departed. The anecdotes were placed in the box for the family to keep.

I stole the idea and when my husband's father died we put out a similar box. After the service we all sat around together and pulled stories out of the box and read them aloud to each other. We learned a lot about the man we'd never have known otherwise, were reminded of things forgotten, and were all comforted somehow.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  13:53:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

What do you guys think of a sort of video presentation (put together while one is alive, obviously), to be played at the funeral? Cool way to show loved ones some final thoughts, favorite songs, poems, etc.; or is it just morbid and creepy?

When I wrote the post I was thinking of the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode Skin of Evil, where security chief Tasha Yar is killed. She had a holodeck recording of herself to say farewell.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  13:56:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Both the slide show and the box are great ideas. Thanks Wendy.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  14:41:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Rough translation of the lyrics for Adolphson&Falk - Vidare
(Vidare: beyond, move on, go on, advance, continue further, go ahead,)

It's almost impossible for me to both translate the rhythmics and rhyme, and keep close fidelity to the original meaning of the lyrics. Because I feel the content has higher importance you'll have to take my word that the rhythm and rhyme makes the song beautiful enough to make eyes moist.
Adolphson&Falk is a synth-pop band with intellectual lyrics that often contain elements of technology like radios, computers, and machinery, but this is a ballad is one of their greatest songs in my opinion though it was never released as a single (to my knowledge).

quote:
We're searching for lights through the telescope.
We're sending out "hello" and listening for echos.
We're searching for life where other suns reign.
We're stretching out our faith as far as possible.

We're driven to find answers,
to see through illusions,
to strive for the limit within eternity,
to solve every part of the Universe's Equations:
to momentarily quench our thirst for knowledge.

We keep on searching,
we don't want to stay put/stay content
with a view of our world
that is limited and narrow.
We want to see beyond
past known perspectives.
We've got "space" in our blood
It's a part of our lives.

Like past adventurers' ships that defeated oceans,
we're sending out our hope on a hopeful journey.
We let our thoughts flow along, in the orbits of galaxies
and search knowledge about ourselves in every alien world.

Because both you and me consists of matter from a star
just like any other planet that's spinning in obscurity.
Even though we're light years from each other
we're close and connected,
Because we're all children of the same space/universe.

We keep on searching,
we don't want to stay put/stay content
with a view of our world
that is limited and narrow.
We want to see beyond
past known perspectives.
We've got "space" in our blood
It's a part of our lives.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  23:29:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy
I personally don't care what kind of funeral I have, as I'll be dead. Since it's for the people I love I'll be leaving behind, I want them to have whatever kind of service they find most comforting.

That's got to be one the most lovely well thought out posts I've ever read.

As for favorite music, I'd have them play songs from the best band in the world, Carabao, very loud. So I could hear them... where ever the hell I've gone.
My favorite song from the band, roughly translated is about someone who just lost their job and is feeling depressed. He is told, as long as you have two hands to work with or two legs to walk you are not useless. Wonder if that would be appropriate? But as a Buddhist, to show no attachment to the material world, we are cremated. So maybe anyone going to my ceremony will play 'Dust in the Wind'
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  08:24:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Dust in the Wind... perfect for cremations
But I want to be fed to wild animals, so, no funeral for me. They can bury a lock of hair if they want, to the sound of Rammstein, Queen and Beethoven. Heck, just start a rave in my honor! Oh yeah!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  20:29:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

Wow! Thanks, Snake! That's got to be the nicest post I've ever seen you leave for... well... um... anybody. I appreciate it. I really do.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Both the slide show and the box are great ideas. Thanks Wendy.

You're most welcome, Dr. Mabuse. I can't take credit for either one. I detest funerals myself, and I avoid going whenever possible. I accept death as a natural part of life, but so much of what goes on at funerals seems unnatural to me.

My mother has announced to the family that when she dies she wants to be buried in a red nightgown. I have no idea why, and she's not telling. When the time comes I plan to stand by the casket, and when someone invariably says, "She looks just like she is sleeping," I'm going to say, "Of course she does! She's wearing a f*cking NIGHTGOWN!" As she does not own one, my brothers and I are going to draw straws to see who has to go out and buy it. I'm pulling for the one who's retired from the oil patch. I plan to hide and watch.

The truth is, I'm grateful for the weird request. It will give some laughs at a time when we'll all be hurting. I think that's why she asked. She plans to let us have some fun at her expense one last time. Moms are selfless like that.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  21:07:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

When the time comes I plan to stand by the casket, and when someone invariably says, "She looks just like she is sleeping," I'm going to say, "Of course she does! She's wearing a f*cking NIGHTGOWN!"
My wife has decided against a viewing after she dies, and to that end made me swear that if the rest of the family interferes with her wishes, that I'm to rig her corpse so that at random times during the services, her body will sit upright in the casket and say things like "don't I look natural?"

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  02:57:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

When the time comes I plan to stand by the casket, and when someone invariably says, "She looks just like she is sleeping," I'm going to say, "Of course she does! She's wearing a f*cking NIGHTGOWN!"
My wife has decided against a viewing after she dies, and to that end made me swear that if the rest of the family interferes with her wishes, that I'm to rig her corpse so that at random times during the services, her body will sit upright in the casket and say things like "don't I look natural?"

Make sure you get a recording of her saying that asap. Just to be on the safe side. This is why everyone should have will prepared.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  09:42:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Whatever you guys and gals decide to do with your corpse, I recommend a killer coffin.

I'v already picked one out for me:

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  20:32:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Snake

Wow! Thanks, Snake! That's got to be the nicest post I've ever seen you leave for... well... um... anybody. I appreciate it. I really do.

My mother has announced to the family that when she dies she wants to be buried in a red nightgown. I have no idea why, and she's not telling. When the time comes I plan to stand by the casket, and when someone invariably says, "She looks just like she is sleeping," I'm going to say, "Of course she does! She's wearing a f*cking NIGHTGOWN!"

LOL that's hilarious. I like your mom already. I hope you do get to say something like that. You both sound like something I'd do. In fact I did, at my fathers funeral. Being Buddhist I took a good sized statue of a Buddha, wanted to put it on the stage, it was so long ago I forget what exactly did happen but needless to say, everyone wearing the little benies and the rabbi (a Jewish priest, however it's spelled) didn't appreciate that. LOL. Don't know why people (Jews especially) have to be to 'up tight' about stuff like that.
As far as you saying "nicest post", when someone says something thoughtful and intelligent it's worth a mention. (not sure what else you've been reading!)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  22:14:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Snake:
Don't know why people (Jews especially) have to be to 'up tight' about stuff like that.

So, you are saying that no other people or religion have such uptight people as to not allow another religions icon do be displayed at their service? Your pretty sure that, ohhhh, a catholic priest would be okay with that?

But hey, I'm sure you had to get in a dig about Jews, because, like your feeling toward women, that is your experience with them. Your insights are a delight to behold. (I will now be accused of lacking the intelligence to understand you if you follow the standard course you take when you are subjected to any criticism….)

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  07:40:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Whatever you guys and gals decide to do with your corpse, I recommend a killer coffin.

Those ROCK! And they're a steal at five or six hundred bucks. I wonder if I could a Diet Coke coffin... perhaps I'll check.

-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  12:01:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
My parents joined The Neptune Society. We cremated my Dad and put his ashes in the Rogue River at a park wayside. That now serves as our little memorial site. I wish there was a headstone there but, oh well. We didn't have a funeral at all. But part of that decision was most of the people who would have come would have had to travel from out of state and we didn't want them to feel obligated for that expense.

Mom is still alive, of course.

Personally, I want to be a bog mummy, except with out the noose and daggar part, or desert mummy, sans gunshot wound, of course. If I get rich before I die, I'll go for the cryonics. Who knows, maybe one can be revived in a million years. Wouldn't that be cool?

Edited by - beskeptigal on 05/16/2006 12:03:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.