Religion
 codebot.org scientology page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bort

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  21:20:49  Show Profile  Visit bort's Homepage Send bort a Private Message
Looking at Digg earlier today, I ran across a story about Scientology lawyers forcing the removal of a website critical of Scientology. You can see the original website from this mirror site. From the replacement website:
quote:
A small portion of the Church's scriptures were broadly released on said website, and made available to the general public who have not completed the prior steps of religious study and counseling. Conspiracy to disseminate Scientology's copyrighted and trade secret scriptures is a crime and will result in arrest, prosecution, conviction and imprisoned for theft.

I don't know if this is really legitimate or not, but its pretty scary if it is. Watch out forum members, your next!

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." - most likely L.Ron Hubbard

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  22:11:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
For the most part, copyrights take place in civil court. So you probably won't be arrested, and you most certainly won't be imprisoned for a copyright violation of this sort. And as far as I know, there is no civil or criminal punishment for "Telling a secret."

Also, if you comment on the not-so-secret scriptures and quote only parts of it, you can claim it is fair use.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  22:32:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

For the most part, copyrights take place in civil court. So you probably won't be arrested, and you most certainly won't be imprisoned for a copyright violation of this sort. And as far as I know, there is no civil or criminal punishment for "Telling a secret."

Also, if you comment on the not-so-secret scriptures and quote only parts of it, you can claim it is fair use.

I don't think Scientology wins many of its law suits. They sue as a way to harass. And they are very good doing that. Not many people have the funds to go all the way with them…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  03:19:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I don't think Scientology wins many of its law suits. They sue as a way to harass. And they are very good doing that. Not many people have the funds to go all the way with them…

This is pretty much the way Disney and Microsoft use lawyers, too.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  08:04:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Thanks for that link bort. At least now I know what they believe, and I can see why they want people 'preped' for this 'knowlage' else they would die laughing.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Edited by - Paulos23 on 06/21/2006 10:54:12
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  10:33:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
also if there is no profit gain for the copier or profit loss for the copyee doesnt that throw copyrights out the window?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  11:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
More info on Scientology and the legal system

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  11:47:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

also if there is no profit gain for the copier or profit loss for the copyee doesnt that throw copyrights out the window?

If that were true why are all the forums worried about copyright infringing posts? I think they calculate the loss to the owner for free use of something the owner could to charge for.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  12:36:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

No. But a judge will be more likely to throw it out of court. But like Kil said, you'll still have to get a lawyer and everything.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  13:30:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
http://www.xenu.net/ still seems to be the foremost anti-Scientology website.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bort

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  20:01:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit bort's Homepage Send bort a Private Message
Looks like the original site is back up. Guess Xenu won this battle...

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." - most likely L.Ron Hubbard
Edited by - bort on 06/26/2006 20:02:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.