New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  22:44:39  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
This video is without a doubt the best optical illusion I've ever seen. (And no, it's not a gag just to get you to stare before something scary pops up, which is what I thought it might be at first.)

After following the instructions, everything in your vision will go all wobbly and warp and stuff. Try doing it and then looking at your hand. Pity the effects last for only a few seconds. (Then again, it's a cheap high, even though I'm sure it can't be great on your eyes.)

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  23:21:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That was fun to watch in itself. I did get a very slight sensation of visual distortion for about three seconds after watching it. I'm sure that this will work differently for different people. But looking at my hand was useless, as it's wobbly enough all by its lonesome.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  00:50:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
Very nice.

HH's tip to look at your hand is a good one. Keep your hand steady (leave it on your mouse or similar) and quickly move your eyes from the image on screen to the back of your hand.

The effect is strange, but much less creepy if you just look around your room. Depending, I guess, on what you have in your room...

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  00:56:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
If you want a version that you can view off-line, below is an animated gif which does the same job. You can find it and a few others at this page I just threw together. Enjoy!

I hope this image and post is far enough down the page that it doesn't mess up the home page. If it does, I'll attempt to move it down. (Mods, it's only the first message in a thread that needs images shifted, isn't it?)

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 07/08/2006 00:58:13
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  01:44:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS
The effect is strange...
Having been on rare occasions under the influence of hallucinogenic mushrooms, I found the sensation reminiscent of a perceptual phenomenon known as "breathing," where objects appear to approach, then retreat, then approach, then retreat, etc., from your field of view in roughly the same cadence as the time it takes for a normal person to respirate.

I recall one moment when I was conscious of a bathroom towel "billowing" slowly in and out despite the lack of any breeze. But the movement of the shadows against the wall, everything about it really, gave one the impression that the towel was actually in motion. Apparently there is another, more unsettling hallucinogenic phenomenon know as "melting," although I must admit to never having experienced it myself.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/08/2006 01:47:28
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  06:03:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I did get a very slight sensation of visual distortion for about three seconds after watching it. I'm sure that this will work differently for different people.

I'm pretty sure that it will effect all people just about the same. What really matters is how much you shift your eye when watching the video. You have to keep them in the center and try your best not to blink for as long as you can.

Now that video is way too long. The effect doesn't become any greater when you look at it for more than 30 seconds.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  13:34:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
I did get a very slight sensation of visual distortion for about three seconds after watching it. I'm sure that this will work differently for different people.

I'm pretty sure that it will effect all people just about the same. What really matters is how much you shift your eye when watching the video. You have to keep them in the center and try your best not to blink for as long as you can.

Now that video is way too long. The effect doesn't become any greater when you look at it for more than 30 seconds.

I stared at the video's very center for the whole time it played, and got some, but little, distortion. However, I've got a hunch that playing City of Villains so many hours a day has somehow partially desensitized me to the effect.

I don't think the video is at all too long. You certainly have to wait until the Coyote appears and gives you spiritual guidance.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  14:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Should have Pink Floyd in there for background for us 60's generation types. Yep, there's a bit of flashback nostaglia with the 'breathing' visual effect. A good safe intro to one of the psychedelic effects.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Pernicious

35 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  19:46:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pernicious a Private Message
And here I thought that with 3 kids and a mortagae, my days of seeing my hand "breathe" were all gone.

neat stuff.

I once saw an entire civilization that in a ciagarette ember, nuff said.

If I was the Supreme Being, I wouldn't muck about with butterflies and dandelions, I'd start with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!
-Time Bandits
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  06:35:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Geez. I watched this over 90 minutes ago and its still treating me like a merry-go-round does. A little dizzy and slightly nauseas.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  15:16:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

Geez. I watched this over 90 minutes ago and its still treating me like a merry-go-round does. A little dizzy and slightly nauseas.

Nano flashbacks?!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  21:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Memories of LSD.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  21:37:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The circle doesn't do it for me, John. Don't know why.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/11/2006 21:37:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.