Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Evangelist arrested on tax evasion....Guess who!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  18:12:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The marching morons. I was tempted to add my rejoicing to the chorus of hallelujahs sung to the martyrdom of the blessed Hovind. But my delight in the situation does spring from a more rational well.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  22:12:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump!

Wikipedia says:

quote:
Jo was released on bond, and Kent, considered a flight risk, will be held until sentencing, which takes place January 9, 2007.

Hopefully we'll hear the result by the end of the day.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  22:59:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sentencing appears to be the 19th, rather than the 9th.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  23:17:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw shucks. Wikipedia has been edited to reflect that, along with this line:

quote:
kent: assumed dead by those of us in WI who haven't heard a bloody thing about him . . .

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  02:31:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ever fluid nature of wiki.

I get a kick out of it when people go in and delete the evolution entry and pour in some creationist slop.

It usually gets edited out pretty fast, but its kinda funny. What happens when the people who update it get tired of unvandalizing it?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  15:26:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Sentencing appears to be the 19th, rather than the 9th.

Thank you Dude. I've been counting the days for that dipshit's punishment phase.
AND HERE IT IS!
I was hoping for a judgement like this.
Adios Dr. Dino!
Goddamn, this is so-o-o sweet.................

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007701190332

Pensacola evangelist Kent Hovind was sentenced Friday afternoon to 10 years in prison on charges of tax fraud.

After a lengthy sentencing hearing that last 5 1/2 hours, U.S. District Judge Casey Rodgers ordered Hovind also:

-- Pay $640,000 in restitution to the Internal Revenue Service.

-- Pay the prosecution's court costs of $7,078.

-- Serve three years parole once he is released from prison.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  16:38:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Hovind cried!!!

If only all creationists tax evaders would come to the same end.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/19/2007 16:39:55
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  17:11:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the big man wept like a little girl. I love it!:
quote:
Prior to his sentencing, a tearful Kent Hovind, also known as "Dr. Dino" asked for the court's leniency.

"If it's just money the IRS wants, there are thousands of people out there who will help pay the money they want so I can go back out there and preach," Hovind said.

[Edited to replace odd quote characters.]

Note that the bewildered Dr. Dino had hoped his followers would be allowed bail him out, and make everything nice. He seems to have projected that the government was only concerned about money, just as he is. Apparently, he can't imagine anyone being more principled than he is.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/19/2007 17:31:25
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  17:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It gets even better. Not quite Club Fed for Kent Hovind. This link says of Saufley Field, Hovind's likely prison:
quote:
FEDERAL PRISON CAMP PENSACOLA

The Federal Prison Camp Pensacola, located on Saufley Field, was established in April 1988 to provide inmate manpower to various components of the Pensacola Naval Complex.
The agreement between the Bureau of Prisons and the Navy is similar to existing ones with the U.S. Air Force in the establishment of Federal Prison Camps at Maxwell and Eglin Air Force Bases.

Saufley Field's prison camp has a fluctuating population, but can house up to 600 inmates, with over half always dedicated to provide manpower to the Navy. Inmate labor is primarily used statutorily for ground maintenance and for other MWR programs. The prison camp has a staff of about 85 people.
Dr. Dino is our slave! ROTFL!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  21:40:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THERE IS A GOD! Oh, wait...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  21:59:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

THERE IS A GOD! Oh, wait...

Oops.

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  01:03:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if you are going to lie and defraud a lot of people, make sure that the government gets it cut...
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  03:05:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

So if you are going to lie and defraud a lot of people, make sure that the government gets it cut...

Right! He didn't play by the rules.

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  08:17:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The day after sentencing article..........
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007701200319

"I feel like the mouse," Hovind told U.S. District Judge Casey Rodgers. "I stand here in great fear of the power of this court. Your decision can destroy my life, my ministry and my grandchildren."

"Your decision"?....you mean 'your' own decision, don't you Dr. Doofus.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  14:33:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff, Randy!

The "buffalo" is revealed as a mouse:

Reporter Michael Stewart is starting to be one of my favorites. I love how he mentions the tape of Hovind earlier defiantly "... comparing himself to a buffalo in a lion fight, Hovind's voice was heard saying 'As long as I have some horns, I'm going to swing. As long as I have some hoofs, I'm going to kick. As long as I have some teeth, I'm going to fight. The lion's going to know he's been in a fight.'"

Yet Kent wept like a baby and compared himself to a mouse before a lion when the enormity of his situation finally set in at sentencing time: "'I feel like the mouse,' Hovind told U.S. District Judge Casey Rodgers. 'I stand here in great fear of the power of this court. Your decision can destroy my life, my ministry and my grandchildren.'"

There is justice in the world, though it too rarely prevails as it did with Hovind. I shall savor this example.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/20/2007 14:34:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.