Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  12:31:55  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have had more than one thread about the slant of the media. I think this "debate" shows how difficult it is to sort through information on one small segment of one small war.

http://www.zmag.org/hermanserbdebate.htm

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  17:44:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My take on this is that Herman is trying to minimize the Srebrenica massacre, a horrific act of ethnic genocide. He cannot deny that it happened, as the evidence is far too clear, so he picks away at it to make it look as small as possible. He cites a conspiracy of "political convenience" by Clinton and NATO forces as a cause for the supposed exaggeration of the crime by the West. I'm digusted by anyone who is a Holocaust denier, including deniers of this mini-Holocaust.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:12:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think he attempts to make the massacre of 8,000 people small. That isn't a small thing. Nor do I think the massacre of 150 people is a small thing, nor do I think he thinks that.

The problem is, there just isn't much evidence that 8,000 people were massacred. I don't think a "Clinton conspiracy" is necessary here, nor does he say that. What he says is that certain ideas, though they may not have been proven, were convenient to certain people, including Clinton. There were others in the West who found those ideas convenient as well.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  12:55:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

I don't think he attempts to make the massacre of 8,000 people small. That isn't a small thing. Nor do I think the massacre of 150 people is a small thing, nor do I think he thinks that.

The problem is, there just isn't much evidence that 8,000 people were massacred. I don't think a "Clinton conspiracy" is necessary here, nor does he say that. What he says is that certain ideas, though they may not have been proven, were convenient to certain people, including Clinton. There were others in the West who found those ideas convenient as well.

I just don't see the evidence to support an assertion that approximately 8,000 people were not slaughtered by Bosnian Serb forces. The following is from the Wikipedia article that I linked to above:
quote:
Srebrenica genocide denial or Srebrenica genocide revisionism, is the belief that the Srebrenica genocide did not occur, or that far fewer than around 8,000 Bosniaks were killed by the Bosnian Serb Army (numbers below 5,000, most often around 2,000 are typically cited); that there never was a centrally-planned Bosnian Serb Army's attempt to exterminate the Bosniaks of Srebrenica; and/or that there were not mass killings at the extermination sites. Those who hold this position often further claim that Bosniaks and/or Western media know that the Srebrenica genocide never occurred, yet that they are engaged in a massive conspiracy to maintain the illusion of a Srebrenica genocide to further their political agenda. These views are not accepted as credible by objective historians. [44] [45]

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  15:03:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know anyone that says the mass media know it and are hiding it. What a ridiculous assertion.

I imagine most Bosnian Muslims, and a lot of Bosnian Serbs believe it all happened as advertised as well.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 08/03/2006 15:09:46
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  15:34:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heres's a page that goes into some detail about Herman's Srebrenica massacre denial. It looks to me that the numbers, about 8,000 Muslims killed, are standing up to very close scrutiny.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  16:15:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'll take some time and look that all over. I appreciate it.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  03:24:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to help me keep my place here, at the time of the 1999 bombing, 70 people were identified out of 2,570 bodies found. One of the links Halfmooner's blog had given was a 2003 document prepared by Dean Manning who testified here. See page 31428-31437 for his 2004 statement to ICTY.

http://www.un.org/icty/transe54/040126IT.htm

Dean Manning is the author of this lengthy document -
http://www.domovina.net/archive/2000/20000516_manning.pdf

Did you read all this stuff Halfmooner? Did you read all of the Herman articles?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 08/04/2006 03:38:18
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  03:50:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=74&ItemID=8244

quote:
The 8,000 figure is also incompatible with the basic arithmetic of Srebrenica numbers before and after July 1995. Displaced persons from Srebrenica-that is, massacre survivors-- registered with the World Health Organization and Bosnian government in early August 1995, totalled 35,632. Muslim men who reached Muslim lines "without their families being informed" totaled at least 2,000, and some 2,000 were killed in the fighting. That gives us 37,632 survivors plus the 2,000 combat deaths, which would require the prewar population of Srebrenica to have been 47,000 if 8,000 were executed, whereas the population before July was more like 37-40,000 (Tribunal judge Patricia Wald gave 37,000 as her estimate). The numbers don't add up. [45]

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  05:19:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See the Srebrenica portion of this essay:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=40&ItemID=5589

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  05:43:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of reading to do, it seems, to find "clear evidence" that 8,000 people were "massacred."

That doesn't mean that I won't, nor does it mean that some weren't massacred. No one is minimizing that or even the deaths of those in battle. In fact, it seems that the only one minimizing anything are the ones that minimize non-Serb crimes, and the crimes of NATO.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  05:49:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from Herman, et al here:

http://www.srebrenica-report.com/

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  06:43:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.srebrenica-report.com/defense.htm

quote:
Was there “Genocide” at Srebrenica?

Unlike US-supported attacks by Croatian troops on Serb-inhabited UN Protected Zones (Western Slavonia and the Krajina), the Bosnian Serb Army's capture of Srebrenica was a predictable response to military provocations. Unlike the Croatian operations Flash and Storm, the Bosnian Serbs helped arrange a massive safe passage operation to Tuzla for thousands of Srebrenica residents who chose to leave from nearby Potocari where the buses were deployed. By the first week of August 1995, 35,632 people had registered with the World Health Organization and Bosnian Government as displaced persons, survivors of Srebrenica. If the goal of the Serbs had been genocide, or even an act of genocide, there would have been no safe passage for the civilian population. According to Carlos Martins Branco, “if there had been a premeditated plan of genocide, instead of attacking in only one direction, from the south to the north – which left the possibility of escape to the north, the Serbs would have established a siege in order to ensure that no-one escaped.”

It has been documented that hundreds of thousands of children (not counting the deaths of the elderly and infirm) died in the first few years of sanctions after the Gulf War in Iraq. Those, like former UN official Hans Sponeck, who call that action 'genocide' are ridiculed. Even if 8,000 males were massacred, can that reasonably be called genocide?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  08:33:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the comments here about 'evil' interesting. Even atheists seem bent on worrying about 'evil' in the world.

http://www.srebrenica-report.com/foreword.htm

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  08:35:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Middle East Review of International Affairs:
So how did the claim of more than a million sanctions-related deaths in Iraq persist? In 1999, UNICEF released a glossy, detailed report that again concluded that sanctions had contributed to the deaths of one million Iraqis. UNICEF did not complete the report independently however, but rather co-authored it with the Iraqi governmentís health ministry (according to the reportís own front cover). It is this report that is most often cited by activists and journalists, although seldom do they refer to it as a joint publication of Saddamís government. Both current and former UN personnel admit this report to be problematic especially because its statistics come from the Iraqi government, which blocks independent information gathering.(10) Former UN officials related that many statistics are of questionable veracity.(11) One troubling sign of lack of objectivity is a map on the first page of the first chapter. While purporting to show the region, the map omits Kuwait, and makes it appear that the country is actually part of Iraq.(12) The inclusion of the map raises issue of what compromises UNICEF made to complete the study.

Many academics as well as those in the activist and conflict resolution communities nevertheless accept the UNICEF statistics at face value. However, a careful examination shows that the reported results make no sense. According to data presented in the report, the mortality rate for children under five years old and the infant mortality rate increased after the adoption of the oil-for-food program almost doubled caloric intake. For example, in 1995, the infant mortality rate allegedly was 98 deaths per thousand while, in 1998, it was 103 deaths per thousand. Likewise, the under five years old mortality rate reportedly rose to 125 deaths per thousand in 1998, from 117 in 1995.(13) Ironically, the suspicious implication here is that the reduction of sanctions increases suffering in Iraq.

Further, according to the UNICEF study, child mortality rose in the portion of Iraq controlled by Saddam Hussein from 56 per thousand before sanctions to 131 per thousand in 1999, a magnitude rise for which there is no evidence. Curiously, UNICEF (or perhaps the Iraqi government) did not provide a breakdown of the figures by quarters of Baghdad, where one-third of the Iraqi population lives. Accordingly, no comparison among various constituencies in the city is possible, to see if food is getting, for example, to Arab Sunnis, but not to Arab Shiíi or Kurds. (14)

Here is the thing. In the book, “Into the Buzzsaw” that describes the problems investigative journalists are having getting stories of importance published, one journalist, an Iraqi by birth, went to Iraq for a visit dreading what he would find there. According to him, he could not find evidence for all the suffering and the deaths of children that had been widely reported. As it turns out, there is some reason for skepticism due to the fact that It was in Saddam's best interest to foster the view and to help inflate figures with regard to the hardships of the Iraqi people. I remain very skeptical of the figures that are regularly bandied around as "well documented" proven facts…

Sorry I did not provide a link to the above book. I must go to work...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  08:54:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am as guilty as anyone for going off-topic in threads, but am not going to respond to your post on Iraq, as I don't have the time and ability to go off in several directions. I am not the brightest, most talented writer on these forums, and it's too easy to write quick replies that cause greater problems.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds.