Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  05:02:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no evidence that 8,000 people are still missing from Srebrenica, but that is a tangent that I'm not going to follow.

Again, the point is that crimes were committed by all sides. Hundreds were murdered by the Muslim soldiers that used Srebrenica as a base.

The point is that there is no evidence that 8,000 or any number close to that were massacred by Serbs at Srebrenica. No one knows exactly what happened.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  05:14:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest you read the whole essay at:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=74&ItemID=8244

quote:
There have been a great many bodies gathered at Tuzla, some 7,500 or more, many in poor condition or parts only, their collection and handling incompatible with professional forensic standards, their provenance unclear and link to the July 1995 events in Srebrenica unproven and often unlikely, [43] and the manner of their death usually uncertain. Interestingly, although the Serbs were regularly accused of trying to hide bodies, there has never been any suggestion that the Bosnian Muslims, long in charge of the body search, might shift bodies around and otherwise manipulate evidence, despite their substantial record of dissembling. A systematic attempt to use DNA to trace connections to Srebrenica is underway, but entails many problems, apart from that of the integrity of the material studied and process of investigation, and will not resolve the question of differentiating executions from deaths in combat. There are also lists of missing, but these lists are badly flawed, with duplications, individuals listed who had died before July 1995, who fled to avoid BSA service, or who registered to vote in 1997, and they include individuals who died in battle or reached safety or were captured and assumed a new existence elsewhere. [44]

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  07:29:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

I suggest you read the whole essay at:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=74&ItemID=8244

What makes you think I haven't read it? Makes me think you haven't read the reports I linked to.

quote:
There have been a great many bodies gathered at Tuzla, some 7,500 or more, many in poor condition or parts only, their collection and handling incompatible with professional forensic standards, their provenance unclear and link to the July 1995 events in Srebrenica unproven and often unlikely, [43] and the manner of their death usually uncertain. Interestingly, although the Serbs were regularly accused of trying to hide bodies, there has never been any suggestion that the Bosnian Muslims, long in charge of the body search, might shift bodies around and otherwise manipulate evidence, despite their substantial record of dissembling. A systematic attempt to use DNA to trace connections to Srebrenica is underway, but entails many problems, apart from that of the integrity of the material studied and process of investigation, and will not resolve the question of differentiating executions from deaths in combat.

Nope, they won't. So let's look at likely scenario's. The number of found deaths adds up to the number of prisoners reported by the VRS. It further adds up with eye-witness reports of the number of people gathered at sites that were used for executions.

quote:
There are also lists of missing, but these lists are badly flawed, with duplications, individuals listed who had died before July 1995, who fled to avoid BSA service, or who registered to vote in 1997, and they include individuals who died in battle or reached safety or were captured and assumed a new existence elsewhere. [44]

[/quote]
This has already been addressed by me Gorgo. Did you read my post? The Norwegian researchers that checked the lists (amongst others) removed duplications. Individuals on the list cannot reasonably be said to contain survivors anymore after 10 years. Those who registered to vote (all 9 of them) have been removed from the list. All the people that Serbians have accurately shown to have survived either were not on the lists in the first place, or have been removed subsequently. These criticisms of the lists have been taken into account and were dealt with in the reports.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:34:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read most of it, because from what little I read, it looked like you were agreeing with me. I saw nothing so far which says that 8,000 people were massacred. That is the main point of this thread.

I'll try to take time to absorb what you've posted, but most of it has nothing to do with that point, and some of it seems to agree with that point.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:56:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What makes you think I haven't read it? Makes me think you haven't read the reports I linked to.

Didn't seem as though you were responding to what was posted, just posting pages and pages of irrelevant stuff that I'm supposed to wade through to find something relevant.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:22:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of your points are dealt with here:

http://www.zmag.org/hermanserbdebate.htm

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  12:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Tom, I was using someone else's computer, and may have hurried too much in reading. I will attempt to research this more. I am interested in what you're saying here.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  17:24:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is okay. I think I have actually addressed the arguments you raise.

To really summarize my problem with the (Serbian) opposition against the claim of 8,000 massacred is the following. If, of the list of missing persons, the detractors of the lists claim that most of these people are elsewhere and alive, or dead due to other causes yet of all the people they bring up, the number turns out to be vanishingly small, or the people turn out not to be on the lists of missing persons in the first place, I think they have a strong credibility problem. For example the problem of the people turning up on electoral lists. The ICRC checked it and found 9. If Herman is really as unbiased as you want to tell me, why does he use that as an argument? The people dying of a natural death. The Serbs delivered a list of alleged natural deaths on the ICRC list. They had 76 names (which is already quite low when you have a list of 7,500) and none of them, not one, was found on the ICRC list. Why does he use that as an argument? Why does he pretend that there is no evidence of reburial by the Serbs, if the remains of different persons have been found over five different locations? How does he think they got there? Did the magic body fairy displace them with her magic chainsaw?

Sorry, but with arguments like those, I see no reason to put much credibility in his statements. Do you?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  19:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. Please speak to me as though you were speaking to a child, because I'm having trouble following.

1)Genocide is not massacring 8,000 males while letting all the women and children go. Please show me how it is and show me how you back that up.

2)What exactly are you saying that the Red Cross knows that proves that 8,000 people were "massacred" by the Serbs. Please don't count people who may have died in combat, by suicide, or by the Muslims themselves, or bodies that may have been dragged in from other places by the Muslims. How can you back this up? Where can I read more?

3) Exactly what group, independent of the Bosnian Muslims and NATO, and other interested parties, has reasonable evidence that 8,000 Muslims were "massacred" by the Serbs? How can you back this up? Where can I read more?

4) How do you account for the news item on 8/2/95 in the Times, by Kallenbach and Evans, which said that over 2,000 of the 8,000 on the Red Cross list were soldiers that were found, and others? Was this over and above the 8,000 original names?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  03:33:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Okay. Please speak to me as though you were speaking to a child, because I'm having trouble following.

1)Genocide is not massacring 8,000 males while letting all the women and children go. Please show me how it is and show me how you back that up.

Genocide is the attempt to eradicate a certain specific cultural or racial subgroup from the population. Murdering all the males is an effective way to do it, as without males, the population dies. Read your bible, it's not like this strategy has not been attempted before. I find the answer from Herman on this very interesting:
quote:
Among the other idiocies in the Tribunal judges' argument, it was genocide if you killed many males in a group in order to reduce the future population of that group, thereby making it unviable in that area. Of course, you might want to kill them to prevent their killing you in the future, but the court knows Serb psychology better-that couldn't be the sole reason, there must have been a more sinister aim. The Tribunal reasoning holds forth the possibility that with only a little prosecution-friendly judicial psychologizing any case of killing enemy soldiers can be designated genocide.

The bolded part is what I find interesting. In my opinion it effectively argues the point of the Tribunal judges just as much as anything else. Decimate the other culture so it cannot attack you again. How this would differ from genocide I don't know. But then, I reject the similar reasoning of biblical apologists on this issue also.

quote:
2)What exactly are you saying that the Red Cross knows that proves that 8,000 people were "massacred" by the Serbs. Please don't count people who may have died in combat, by suicide, or by the Muslims themselves, or bodies that may have been dragged in from other places by the Muslims. How can you back this up? Where can I read more?

All numbers are approximations. If you read my post, I already downgraded that to the number to 6,000. Of the 7,500 on the Red Cross list, I do not think any can be reasonably said to be still alive now. Again, the Serbians have claimed that this is so, but have failed to provide any evidence that this is so for a large number of people. The reasonable evidence includes the eye-witness reports of the muslim survivors, combined with the VRS own admissions on how many prisoners they had. This would give an estimate of the number of prisoners of around 6,000 (VRS own figures). Captured people are not combatants. This is the primary reason for me to think that the figure of 6,000 is probably close to the truth, because it adds up with numbers given by all parties.

Given the states of the secondary and tertiary mass graves, especially the state of the bodies that are found in it, there is evidence of mass displacement of the graves with heavy machinery. There is evidence of mass executions at various places designated by eye-witnesses, including finds of ammunition rounds indicating executions, arial photographs corroborating testimonies, bullet holes indicating executions in schools and the Brutanac football stadium and corroborating evidence such as found bullets linking people in mass graves to execution sites and heavy burying equipment such as bulldozers from the different brigades demonstrably at those execution sites at the time of execution. In quite a few secondary graves blindfolds were found for at least half, if not all of the buried people.

http://213.222.3.5/srebrenica/ --> Part IV, chapter 2.

quote:
3) Exactly what group, independent of the Bosnian Muslims and NATO, and other interested parties, has reasonable evidence that 8,000 Muslims were "massacred" by the Serbs? How can you back this up? Where can I read more?

Why the massacre in quotes? Even if the Serbs massacred 100, it is a massacre. The evidence for such executions on a mass scale is there, even Herman admits that in his articles. If I look at the previously cited chapter and count up the number of people they mention in there as confirmed (in other words, having corroborating evidence for being executed), I come to around 4,000 to 5,000 easily, not hundreds as Herman wants us to believe. I'll give you the remaining 1000 as having been buried by the muslims themselves, although I don't feel this is a credible explanation. As far as I can glimpse from the reading, the evidence of the secondary and tertiary areas shows burial with the use of heavy equimpment. One would think that intrusions by later burial of their own by muslims would have been spotted by investigators arriving at the scene.

Let me ask a question back. If so many of the people in the 11 primary mass graves were due to combat, suicide or other causes, why did the Serbians feel the need to cover it up by spreading the remains to secondary and tertiary sites? That this happened is corroborated by arial photographs and the issuing of fuel by the command staff to the areas around the graves.

quote:
4) How do you account for the news item on 8/2/95 in the Times, by Kallenbach and Evans, which said that over 2,000 of the 8,000 on the Red Cross list were soldiers that were found, and others? Was this over and above the 8,000 original names?

There have been many false newsreports of people being found in prisoner camps in Serbia, in mines in the surrounding area of Screbrenica etc etc. Everytime these news reports gave surviving family members false hope. Every time these have been checked out. Every time they turned out to be wrong. How do account for that particular news item. Simple, it was wrong, as were the many others surfacing in the confusion. They were overstated reports of rumors, every time turning out to be false.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  03:54:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Genocide is the attempt to eradicate a certain specific cultural or racial subgroup from the population. Murdering all the males is an effective way to do it, as without males, the population dies. Read your bible, it's not like this strategy has not been attempted before. I find the answer from Herman on this very interesting:

The Bible is far from interesting, but as I recall, they killed all the males, including the children, which the Serbs did not do, and they took the women as their own. Did they not? Or was that someone else that did that? Anyway, if you're committing genocide, you don't let the women and children escape.

quote:
http://213.222.3.5/srebrenica/ --> Part IV, chapter 2.

On what page does it show reasonable evidence that the Red Cross has reasonable evidence that this was a massacre of 8,000 people. The quotes were to quote others that call it a massacre. If it was, it was.

From what I see, you are just quoting people that continue to spread rumors, rather than fact.

quote:

Again, Madeleine Albright was watching to make sure they did not dig up graves and move them around. You are just spreading rumors.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  04:07:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo, why don't you read the fucking report I gave you, the specific chapters? Heck, why don't you fucking first read my posts, because as far as I can see, you didn't.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  05:17:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read a lot of it, and skimmed all of it, and don't see what you're saying. Why don't you quote the section that you're referring to so I can find it? So far, I see nothing but another instance of corporate media parroting the party line, and I see no reason to read every word of what seems to be nonsense.

Since you're so insistent, I'm assuming that I'm wrong, so it should be nothing to quote the sections that cement your case.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/18/2007 05:19:10
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  05:46:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=8244

quote:
On August 10, 1995, Madeleine Albright showed some satellite photos at a closed session of the Security Council, as part of a denunciation of the Bosnian Serbs, including one photo showing people--allegedly Bosnian Muslims near Srebrenica--assembled in a stadium, and one allegedly taken shortly thereafter showing a nearby field with "disturbed" soil. These photos have never been publicly released, but even if they are genuine they don't prove either executions or burials. Furthermore, although the ICTY speaks of "an organized and comprehensive effort" to hide bodies, and David Rohde claimed a "huge Serb effort to hide bodies," [41] neither Albright nor anyone else has ever shown a satellite photo of people actually being executed, buried, or dug up for reburial, or of trucks conveying thousands of bodies elsewhere. This evidence blank occurred despite Albright's warning the Serbs that "We will be watching," and with satellites at that time making at least eight passes per day and geostationary drones able to hover and take finely detailed pictures in position over Bosnia during the summer of 1995. [42] The mainstream media have found this failure to confirm of no interest.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  09:15:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An eyewitness account:

http://www.srebrenica-report.com/hoax.htm

Try as I might, I don't find any claims by the ICRC to have evidence of people massacred in Srebrenica. They have a list of missing persons in the area. Many of them could have been killed in combat, either there or elsewhere, some of them don't exist, and some of them changed their names and disappeared. Some of them probably were massacred by someone, including the Serbs, but not likely 8,000. There is no evidence of this kind of massacre that I can find. Lack of evidence is not evidence, and that's all you seem to have presented from what I can see.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.