Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  09:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Well, it seems I am not alone on this:

Draft Al Gore Google search

While Al Gore has said nothing about running for president in 2008, I think those of us who think he should, should also let him know how we feel. To my thinking, Gore has distinguished himself as one of the most rational voices out there in his criticisms of current policy and, despite any official status, is the leader of the Democratic Party. In all of the what if polls, Gore beats all other possible candidates for the parties nomination, by a lot. Also, I think he is the democrat that stands the best chance of winning the general election. (Even with that awful campaign he has already won once…)

I may take some heat for my choice on these boards, but as it stands right now I don't view Gore as the lesser of two evils. I see him as a candidate I could wholeheartedly support. Go figure.

DRAFTGORE.COM

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  09:10:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Please forgive the fuzzy recolection, but Al Gore gave an interview or possibly appeared on the Daily Show and said that running for President was not in his future this time round as he had other priorities he wanted to persue.

The feeling is that Georgie-boy has mucked up things so badly that any replacement the Dems can field will spend the first 2-3 years of his administration undoing the disasterous policies enacted by the Schmuck in Chief.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  09:17:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Please forgive the fuzzy recolection, but Al Gore gave an interview or possibly appeared on the Daily Show and said that running for President was not in his future this time round as he had other priorities he wanted to persue.

The feeling is that Georgie-boy has mucked up things so badly that any replacement the Dems can field will spend the first 2-3 years of his administration undoing the disasterous policies enacted by the Schmuck in Chief.

So, who better? If he had said he wanted to run, there wouldn't be a draft drive...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  09:50:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
He's a movie star now, so he has real credentials to run for office.

An Inconvenient Truth is a good movie, and would help his numbers very much.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  10:25:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
In 2000 I didn't really like Gore, even though I voted for him. His wife still pisses me off, just thinking back to her promotion of censorship.

But he seems like a different man these days. Every time I have heard him speak in the last year I have thought to myself, "Where was this guy in 2000?"

The current Al Gore would have crushed W in FL 2000. Remember, for the 8 years before Jeb was gov here, we had a democrat in that office. We also had democrats in the majority of our state legislature. It took election fraud to bring the vote so close that the alleged margin of victory for W was less than the margin of error in our old vote counting machines.

I'm with Kil on this one. Al Gore should run in '08.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  12:09:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I'm for him. I've always agreed with him in most matters. I don't see any Democrat on the horizon who looks likely to get the kind of support that Gore can get.

Gore has used a sense of humor about his own image to humanize himself. He's craftfully reinvented this image, though not his basic stand, in the years since he won the 2000 Presidential election. Now, he's the "approachable nerd," rather than the robotic apparatchik. He can, and I suspect will, win again.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  12:45:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Val wrote:
quote:
But... that's important work that needs to be done!

My thoughts are close to what Dude has expressed here. I didn't much like him in 2000 (and since I was living/voting in a state that was clearly going red at the time, I voted Nader. Hey, put those stones down.) If what Gore has done since 2000 reflect his true colors, I would support him in 2008, hope he runs, and hope he listens to his own mind and heart more than he listens to his advisors.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  12:55:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: Drafting Al Gore would be fine for me, too. But I suggest that drafting the Ghost of Richard Milhaus Nixon seems rational when we look at what we've got at 1600 PA Avenue now.

I think Gore is a very smart man; and quite conscientious for a wealthy-born person of a political family. That would be unlike someone else I can think of who is "subtly" referred to in the preceding paragraph.

I have a film review of Gore's documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth" on another web site. Please contact me, if you wish, to get the link.

Speaking of relevant film documentaries, another is soon to open: "Who Killed the Electric Car?" That review is also at the same site. The "Electric Car" doc should be opening about August 18th, hopefully, in a theater near y'all.

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 08/09/2006 12:57:18
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  13:15:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yes, Gore. The right man in the right place at the right time.

It's a little too early to make bold statements, but I think/hope/pray he'll go for it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  08:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Yeah..."No controlling legal authority...." Just waht we need.

The Circus of Carnage... because you should be able to deal with politicians like you do pissant noobs.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  09:00:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

What does this mean?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  05:24:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Val wrote:
quote:
But... that's important work that needs to be done!

My thoughts are close to what Dude has expressed here. I didn't much like him in 2000 (and since I was living/voting in a state that was clearly going red at the time, I voted Nader. Hey, put those stones down.) If what Gore has done since 2000 reflect his true colors, I would support him in 2008, hope he runs, and hope he listens to his own mind and heart more than he listens to his advisors.

Yes, it is important work to be done.

But the combination of the term limits on the President and the push that some political visionaries have to actually accomplish something of their vision of America in the first 100 days, and there isn't much in the way of incentive to run. The position of "let some hamburger fix it and I'll run later" is a tempting position for political visionaries on both sides of the fence.

The position Gore has, I suspect, is not from his advisors, but from his own experience.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  13:47:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

What does this mean?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/campfin/stories/op030797.htm
quote:
"There is no controlling legal authority that says this was in violation of law."
-- Al Gore, seven times (in one form or another), White House news conference, March 3

"Controlling legal authority." Whatever other legacies Al Gore leaves behind between now and retirement, he forever bequeaths this newest weasel word to the lexicon of American political corruption.

Draft someone else.

The Circus of Carnage... because you should be able to deal with politicians like you do pissant noobs.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  14:29:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Yes, Gore. The right man in the right place at the right time.

It's a little too early to make bold statements, but I think/hope/pray he'll go for it.

(emphasis added) Every time I see those two little words together I can't help but think of Author Dent.

quote:
Originally posted by Original Intent

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/campfin/stories/op030797.htm

If tried and convicted what would the penalty have been?

quote:
Is there anything Clinton and company have touched that they have not corrupted?

I wonder if Charles Krauthammer has had similar comments concerning the Bush administration. Probably Not
quote:
"above all", neoconservativism "is the maturation of a governing ideology whose time has come."

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 08/14/2006 14:50:24
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  19:02:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:

If tried and convicted what would the penalty have been?

Not the point. What are you trying to say?
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:
quote:
Is there anything Clinton and company have touched that they have not corrupted?

I wonder if Charles Krauthammer has had similar comments concerning the Bush administration. Probably Not
[quote]"above all", neoconservativism "is the maturation of a governing ideology whose time has come."

Irrelevent.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  19:41:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Original_Intent:
Draft someone else.

Okay, find me the politician who hasn't done or said something stupid to cover his or her own ass. Boy do you hold a grudge...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.