Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  21:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This thread is for general chit-chat items which don't seem "worthy" of a thread of their own. (And if large discussion of specific items crop up, I will likely ask the participants to start new threads.)

To start us off, I heard the other day that we've got 133,000 troops in Iraq. Wasn't this past spring's "draw down" of 7,000 troops supposed to reduce the number to 120,000 or so? If yes, then withdrawing 7,000 and then adding 13,000 doesn't seem like much of a "draw down" at all.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  00:05:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
This is a great video about Atheists. I never knew Warren Buffet was an Atheist. I love the statistic about how the proportion of atheists in the prison population. I wonder what the source for that statistic was though?

The Bible is Repulsive video is a good example of selective bilical quote mining. According to the bible everybody working at Wal mart etc on the sabbath should be put to death.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  00:46:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
According to the video, it's a Federal Bureau of Prisons statistic.

Some of the atheist videos on there are from godisimaginary.com

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  01:21:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOxEa4mkPik&mode=related&search=

Since you had me looking at videos, I found this Hannity and Colmes clip. I obviously disagree with the Phelps family church here, but Hannity and Colmes are just falling over themselves to show how self-righteous they are.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  05:53:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

To start us off, I heard the other day that we've got 133,000 troops in Iraq. Wasn't this past spring's "draw down" of 7,000 troops supposed to reduce the number to 120,000 or so? If yes, then withdrawing 7,000 and then adding 13,000 doesn't seem like much of a "draw down" at all.

And it's been going on as long as WWII. How's that for incompetence?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  07:08:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
To start us off, I heard the other day that we've got 133,000 troops in Iraq.

Send 11'000 more and have God rapture them... The quickest withdrawal of troops ever.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  17:20:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Oh, I saw the movie "Barnyard" yesterday. If you haven't seen it, don't bother.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  17:38:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

Oh, I saw the movie "Barnyard" yesterday. If you haven't seen it, don't bother.

I thought it was passable. I don't think I'd spend money to see in it in the theater, however.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  17:44:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I found it unimpressive in any way. I mean, I'm sure it appeals to five-year-olds (mine was impressed), but it's rated PG.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  17:55:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

I found it unimpressive in any way. I mean, I'm sure it appeals to five-year-olds (mine was impressed), but it's rated PG.

I just liked hearing Sam Elliot sing "I Won't Back Down."

And I like the scene where--despite his better judgment--Otis couldn't help but dance when Wild Mike started bouncing around.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  18:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
By the way, it's nice to see the good people at CAP Alert are still going strong.
quote:
Male cows are bulls and do not have udders, right? Male cows have udders in Barnyard. And male cows in Barnyard can be milked since one of them says "Milk me!" Aside from the gender confusion I wonder why? Such is at least a sexual aberration since the personification of the characters makes udders on male cows akin to female breasts on men. Now where is that found nowadays? I think Hollywood is drunk with it since it appears more and more in films for younger and younger kids. [Luke 17:2] The bottom line is sexual -- again drawing attention to the "private areas." Is it supposed to be funny? How a jiggling udder is funny escapes me when Ben and Otis fight for their lives. Or when Otis does pelvic thrusts. All this is fed to our young ones. [Eph. 5:4] With a "message."
This guy must have had a fit over Bugs Bunny in drag.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/21/2006 18:16:17
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  18:53:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Guess who just last week said Israel's latest incursion into Lebanon was a "total unambiguous defeat" [something close to that] and we are in the middle of WWIII?

spoiler:
Newt Gingrich

Quite the surprise, to me anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  19:14:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Guess who just last week said Israel's latest incursion into Lebanon was a "total unambiguous defeat" [something close to that] and we are in the middle of WWIII?

spoiler:
Newt Gingrich

Quite the surprise, to me anyway.

Actually, BSG, I heard a report on NPR a week ago or so about the whole WWIII thing and how some argue that WWIII has come and gone! We're getting ready for WWIV now!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  21:27:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I just can't wait for the war that will end all wars. Or did I already miss that one?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  23:26:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
If Filthy was a roboticist he would have come up something like this.

Snakes on a Fire Truck

One of the potential applications is crawling through a collapsed building. Snakes lost their limbs as an adaptation to moving through such tight spaces.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Edited by - Ghost_Skeptic on 08/21/2006 23:34:08
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  23:52:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Kind of a cool idea, but I doubt those "snake hoses" could ever deliver much pressure without going ramrod straight or flailing all over the place like any other unmanned hose when unleashed.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/21/2006 23:53:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.