Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  04:21:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

The Bible is Repulsive video is a good example of selective bilical quote mining. According to the bible everybody working at Wal mart etc on the sabbath should be put to death.

Would that be Saturday or Sunday?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  06:21:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Kind of a cool idea, but I doubt those "snake hoses" could ever deliver much pressure without going ramrod straight or flailing all over the place like any other unmanned hose when unleashed.

The "Snake" would have no problem keeping the hose from straigtening, but resisting the reaction force might be difficult. The reaction force is normally resistined by one or two firefighters, behind the person holding the nozzle, pullling forward on hte hose. The snake would have to find obstructions to anchor against to prevent this. A single firefighter can control a hose by first looping it on the ground and then sitting on it.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  11:57:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I rented "Clerks" because I recently saw and enjoyed "Clerks II". But I rented the "first cut" version.

SPOILER ALERT:

Did anyone know it ends with Dante being alone in the store and getting shot by some unknown assailant? Quite random and overlydramatic-to-the-point of juvenile in my opinion since the event just totally overshadows everything else in the film. Like an existential non-sequiter. I'm glad the first cut wasn't the last.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  16:21:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
The Buffalo Theory--just a bit 'o wisdom from Cliff Clavin of Cheers.

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/22/2006 16:22:07
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  17:41:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Excellent reasoning by Cliff, can't dispute such logic.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  20:41:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
My son is into the Clerks movie. Can't say it got my attention that much.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  14:59:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Rolling Rock is no longer "from the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe." Horror of horrors, Latrobe Brewing sold the brand to Anheuser-Busch, and that company is now in the process of brewing it in Newark, NJ. If you've got Rolling Rock bottles, save 'em for a few decades. They'll only go up in value.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  17:16:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Adding to an early post back on page 1:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

This is a great video about Atheists...

Kinda cool video. (What a great late night public service announcement it would make.) Two additional Atheists not mentioned in the video:
Johnny Carson - Entertainer
Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov - Composer

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  18:50:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Kind of a cool idea, but I doubt those "snake hoses" could ever deliver much pressure without going ramrod straight or flailing all over the place like any other unmanned hose when unleashed.

I'd not be too sure... The larger boids such as the reticulated and burmese pythons, and the green anaconda attain tremendous sizes and their strength is incredable, as anyone who has in any way dealt with one can attest. They just might could do it, although I'd not like to be the poor bastard who hooks up their supply plumbing. Might be fun to watch, though....

Well, my son-in-law has done strange keyboard and CD stuff to my idiot of a computer this afternoon and I'm back -- for who knows how long.

I think the 7th Harry Potter book is going to be a barn-burner! I'm looking forward to it even more than the grandkids. Another book I've just started is One Shot, by Lee Child. So far, it's a good'n.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  23:39:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I was moving a large stone out of my driveway, just as one of my roommates was pulling in. It was too large to carry, so I was rolling it. He asked me what I was doing, and I just couldn't resist. I said, "Trying to get the moss off."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  02:13:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I was moving a large stone out of my driveway, just as one of my roommates was pulling in. It was too large to carry, so I was rolling it. He asked me what I was doing, and I just couldn't resist. I said, "Trying to get the moss off."

Heh, not too shabby... And, there's a Sisyfus/academia joke in there as well.

I love it when people ask the obvious. It leaves them wide open for all sorts of goofy replies:

"God finally passed that stone he's been bitching about, and I'm just cleaning up."

Or: "Help me get this tyrannosaur testicle to the lab, will ya...?"

Damn! Those're bad even by my standards!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/02/2006 03:04:23
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  17:05:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
In regards to ghost's "great video about Atheists" - Daniel Dennet is not a leading evolutionary biologist. In fact, he isn't any kind of biologist. He is a philosopher who deals a lot with how evolutionary biology might impact philosophical ideas. There is a big difference.

I don't see how this video would persuade anyone who isn't already secular. It also struck me a rather amateurish in concept. It is full of Humanist heroes like Dawkins, E.O.Wilson and Shermer who are unknown to the general public. It also includes mostly entertainers to illustrate that atheists do good works. Susan B. Anthony was the most humanitarian in that category, and she was a Quaker and more agnostic than atheist - certainly not capital "A" Atheist. And then in the "fool" category a bunch of people are included for being "influential" - what the hell does being influential prove? Christianity and Islam are two the most imfluential worldviews in the history of the world, and I consider both of them to be quite foolish, particularly in their traditional forms.

And, frankly, the capitalization of the word "Atheist" is both annoying and eerie. Atheism itself isn't a worldview. It is one characteristic of some worldviews. We don't capitalize "theism". The video is honest enough to admit that they are grouping agnostics with atheists, but they don't cite where they got any of their statistics, and that alone should concern any good skeptic.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  18:41:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Rolling Rock is no longer "from the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe." Horror of horrors, Latrobe Brewing sold the brand to Anheuser-Busch, and that company is now in the process of brewing it in Newark, NJ. If you've got Rolling Rock bottles, save 'em for a few decades. They'll only go up in value.

It's now brewed in a Bud factory that's right next to the Newark airport! Next time you fly of Newark, as you go to park you'll see the giant Bud eagle in red neon. When you drive by, ponder what the 33 means.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  18:50:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
For the last 4 months I've had sub-sonic vibrations in my condo, courtesy of the ventilation system. In the beginning, only my girlfriend noticed it, but had trouble sleeping because of it.

As time progressed, she started sleeping at her father's house in order to get some decent sleep. But it didn't stop there. Both she and now finally I have developed physical manifestations of these subsonic vibrations that are so faint it's under my perception threshold. But never the less, I'm having trouble sleeping. Waking up many hours too soon, my abdomen involuntarily shivering from tension I have no control over, and my back is a bit sore in the general height of the diaphragm where most of the shivering occurs. My GF is taking sleeping pills and a mild relaxant in order to sleep, and I've been prescribed medication too.

This week we had a visit from the county's "environmental and safety inspection" (not exactly, and I can't find a translation of the agency in charge of this kind of errand). They have the governmental power to force the Condo's board to take action to rectify the situation. The board hasn't received any complaints from any other condo-owner, and believes that we are just over-sensitive, and considers our problem a non-issue.
I hope the inspector took impression of the visit he made and help make things right. The apartment we own is fantastic, though a bit on the pricey side, but we love it and don't want to move out. Which we would have to do if nothing gets done with the ventilation system.

Just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  03:03:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
There are no foxes in atheist-holes.

There, I've wanted to mention that fact for a very long time. I got nothing else.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.