Most Americans Agree with Evolution
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  14:43:28  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Well, barely:

quote:
More adults in the United States believe the theory of evolution is correct, according to a poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. 51 per cent of respondents think that humans and other living things evolved over time, while 42 per cent say they existed in their present form since the beginning of time.

Polling Data

Some people think that humans and other living things evolved over time. Others think that humans and other living things existed in their present form since the beginning of time. Which of these comes closest to your view?

Jul. 2006 Jul. 2005

Evolved over time
51% 48%

Existed in their present form
since the beginning of time
42% 42%

Don't know / Refused
7% 10%

Source: Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
Methodology: Telephone interviews with 2,003 American adults, conducted from Jul. 6 to Jul. 19, 2006. Margin of error is 3 per cent.

Link

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  20:55:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
LOL. "Margin of error is 3%". So likely there is no change.

Either way, still embarrassing.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  21:35:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
By that definition evovled over time could include ID.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  23:40:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Ghost_Skeptic, anything can include ID because ID doesn't say anything.

An evolutionary biologists researching evolutionary mechanisms can be an IDer if they think that God is the reason why got kicked off in the first place.

If fact, I think the only way to not be an IDer is to believe that a supernatural power or powers had nothing to do with the creation of life and/or it's evolution. That pretty much limits it down to atheist or agnostic folks.

That said, the general ID crowd are just those who think evolution is false.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 09/01/2006 23:41:33
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  06:11:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I don't think the "concept of ID" should be totally dismissed - and by that I mean that those who accept the fact of evolution but believe that a god had an unseen part in it (like the Catholic Church) - those people probably agree that evolution without any mention of a god should be taught as science, and the church can add the religous aspect to it. At least they are accepting of the science. These people should be "embraced" and included, even if some of of us disagree about the spiritual part. It is the extremists who do not accept the science that need to be focused upon.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  06:50:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

I don't think the "concept of ID" should be totally dismissed - and by that I mean that those who accept the fact of evolution but believe that a god had an unseen part in it (like the Catholic Church) - those people probably agree that evolution without any mention of a god should be taught as science, and the church can add the religous aspect to it. At least they are accepting of the science. These people should be "embraced" and included, even if some of of us disagree about the spiritual part. It is the extremists who do not accept the science that need to be focused upon.

Bingo!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  14:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Found these as I wandered about the Net today:

graph

related flu joke
Go to Top of Page

Cookie Parker

17 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  05:22:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cookie Parker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Religion discourages questioning and discourages thoughts which do not turn over the interpretation of those thoughts to gurus contained with in the religion. For that reason and that reason alone ID is false. It is acceptable ONLY as interpreted by religion.

ID should not be allowed to enter a school system as a "science" theory because it is not. There have been no scientific data constructed from it...it is just religion....as such has not basis for being included in criticial reasoning and thinking skills which is education.

Blaise Pascal:

To deny, to believe, and to doubt absolutely -- this is for man what running is for a horse.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  06:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cookie Parker
Religion discourages questioning and discourages thoughts which do not turn over the interpretation of those thoughts to gurus contained with in the religion. For that reason and that reason alone ID is false. It is acceptable ONLY as interpreted by religion.

ID should not be allowed to enter a school system as a "science" theory because it is not. There have been no scientific data constructed from it...it is just religion....as such has not basis for being included in criticial reasoning and thinking skills which is education.

There are plenty of religious people who are quite skilled in critical reasoning and science. There are plenty of scientists that are religious. It is only certain types of religion that discourage questioning and scientific pursuits.

People who accept the facts from science and also beleive that a god may have an invisible hand do not need to be ostricized, but included in the movement to save our schools and educational system from nul void that is the religious right. They can be and should be powerful allies.

I was not saying ID should be allowed in schools. I was saying that it should be taught in church where it belongs. But the people (like Catholoics) who accept the facts while believing in something else would agree to only teach scienfitic facts and theories in school, and we should allie ourselves with them, not push them away.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  06:33:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Ive developed a new "Theory" in that the universe was created the moment I finished this sentence, all else is pre-programmed memories.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  08:12:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Ive developed a new "Theory" in that the universe was created the moment I finished this sentence, all else is pre-programmed memories.

This makes the Flying Spaghetti Monster furious.

Heave to and prepare to be boarded, scurvy dog!

In His name, Ramen!

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.