Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  22:09:16  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO! Loathers of G. War will love this one.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15004160/

Keith signs off like a fellow named Murrow did a few decades ago.

It's great to see and hear a TV news talk host who isn't testicularly challenged.

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  23:08:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/09/25/olbermanns-special-comment-are-yours-the-actions-of-a-true-american/

Video.

Olberman does, indeed, kick ass.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  23:40:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I was just going to post this. My god, it's been so long since I've heard anyone in the mainstream media stand up and speak truthfully about this president I thought it would never happen. Keith Olberman is indeed a true American.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  03:42:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Every word of that has been on these boards for years, but Mr. Olberman has phrased it so very well.

I think, hope, and if I were a prayin' man, I'd pray, that we will be hearing a lot more from him and The Big Dog as well, in the not too distant future.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  08:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Thank goodness for Mr. Olberman, may the spirit of Edward Murrow watch over him.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  08:49:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I'm sorry but I don't have the time to link to the Fox news clip of what they call Clintons meltdown. It is, as you would expect, a hatchet job done with editing. Both that and the full interview are available on Your Tube. Clinton did not have a meltdown. He simply answered the question that was put to him and he had to be forceful about it since he was repeatedly interrupted.

This may be old news for some but I was away all weekend and am just now catching up.

What a bunch of weasels they are at Fox.

Olberman was awesome in his analysis…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  09:24:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Fault Wallace for asking a question? Olberman instead applauds criminal actions like the bombing of the al-Shifa Pharmaceutical factory.

It's fine to say Bush did nothing. It's fine to say that Clinton did something. It's not fine to whitewash either's crimes.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:07:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
I question the relavance of percieved crimes as they have to do with an interview conducted specifically to embarass a President on conduct unrelated to said percieved crimes.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:20:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Isn't it terrible that questions embarrass a criminal? So what?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:29:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo...

Fault Wallace for asking a question? Olberman instead applauds criminal actions like the bombing of the al-Shifa Pharmaceutical factory.

It's fine to say Bush did nothing. It's fine to say that Clinton did something. It's not fine to whitewash either's crimes.
Oh I see, Gorgo, you must have read a different article than the one linked from the opening post. In the article I read Olbermann was applauding Clinton for properly defending himself against a ploy by Fox News [sic] to disseminate more propaganda passing the responsibility for 9/11 to Bill Clinton, and by inference reducing George W. Bush's responsibility for his own negligence in the matter. I didn't read anyone whitewashing any crimes in that article. The opinion piece I read was actually about the Fox propaganda machine and Mr. Clinton's response to it.

Or maybe you did read the article linked in the OP, and are just taking an opportunity to hijack the thread a little bit to do some more of your whining about how they're all criminals. Wahhh.

It ain't all black and white, Gorgo. When someone makes the point that George W. Bush has done a lousier job of being president than any before him, that comparison doesn't mean they're letting past presidents off the hook for the lousy things they did. And more appropriate to the article under discussion, when someone makes a point about the Bush regime's smear and spin campaigns, and about someone standing up to that despicable tactic, it isn't about Bush's specific misdeeds, and it certainly isn't giving a pass to former presidents or administrations for their misdeeds.
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer...

I question the relavance of percieved crimes as they have to do with an interview conducted specifically to embarass a President on conduct unrelated to said percieved crimes.
Thanks, Val. In essence that's my point, too.

And back to the topic at hand, regardless of Gorgo's concerted effort to derail it, thanks Mr. Olbermann, good job. It's high time people in the mass media showed the guts to present this sort of commentary. For the advancement of peace and freedom, we could probably use a lot more of it.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:02:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Count me in as an Olbermann fan. How exhilarating! There's still some freedom in the media.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:13:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
, and about someone standing up to that despicable tactic, it isn't about Bush's specific misdeeds, and it certainly isn't giving a pass to former presidents or administrations for their misdeeds.

Please, both of you once try to pay attention. Olbermann APPLAUDS Clinton's criminal bombing of al-Shifa. That makes my remarks germane and makes you the whiners.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 09/26/2006 11:14:39
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:18:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
I watched this commentary on YouTube and could not believe what he was saying. Has anyone seen a reaction to it? I'm curious how the Right Wing Echo Chamber will demonize him.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:30:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Every word of that has been on these boards for years, but Mr. Olberman has phrased it so very well.

I think, hope, and if I were a prayin' man, I'd pray, that we will be hearing a lot more from him and The Big Dog as well, in the not too distant future.
Amazing that so much of what the Progressives have been saying for years is starting to trickle out of the media (except Faux news of course). There seems to be some forces that are turning up the tap. I think it's called a reality check. It was a right wing fantasy that Bush was actually making wise decisions. You can only cling to that fantasy for so long before the wave of disastrous results is impossible to ignore.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:39:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

What a bunch of weasels they are at Fox.

I was especially disappointed with Juan Williams' comments on Fox because on NPR one had a much different view of the man.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:50:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Everything I would have said were it me, was said. WOW, just wow. I would only add, why hasn't the media done its job sooner and I hope they don't cave back in as McCain seems to do every time he speaks out against the administration.

The only sad part here is one could make a milder but no less incriminating speech against the media not doing its job either.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.