Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  18:16:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by verlch
No, I've heard it mentioned before about lot 666 being the capital building. The Washington monument being 555 ft tall, with 110 feet in the ground, for a 666 ft. tall building.

So basically symbolism is everywhere, and to me, a Christian it means something.
How dense are you? Seriously. From the website you linked:
quote:
If you Google for "washington monument" height, the first listing you see is for a page about the monument at greatbuildings.com . Note that the page mentions that the monument has a base of 55 feet and a height of 555 feet, in keeping with what they call the "standard Egyptian proportion of 10:1 height to base". If you continue your search, you will see that the actual height is 555.5 feet.

Googling for "washington monument" foundation depth we see several sites that bear the figure 36 feet 10 inches. 555 + 36 is 591, so how is it that so many people claim that the monument is 666 feet tall? Well first of all, 555 feet is 6660 inches, and as we know, many people just can't keep fact straight.

Consider this from http://www.geocities.com/baja/5692/:

"The Washington Monument is 555 feet in visible height (6,660 inches). However tourist guides to the obelisk tell us that 20% of its overall height forms part of the foundations in order to stabilise the monument. Thus the true height of the obelisk is 666 feet, accurately reflecting the accursed number of the forthcoming antichrist leader of the New World Order, Lucifer."

So tourist guides were telling the story about a 20% foundation, and it has been picked up from there?

Looking back at the site dedicated to the Monument History that was mentioned earlier, we see that the location of the monument was relocated "because of the swamplike nature of the ground at the planned cross-axis of the White House and the U. S. Capitol". Speaking of the new location, the author writes:

"The blocks were set in a mixture of lime mortar and cement to form a stepped-up truncated pyramid 80 feet square at the base. The foundation extended 7 feet, 8 inches below ground, and 15 feet, 8 inches above. However, it proved to be incapable of supporting the projected height and weight of the monument and was later modified when the project was completed by the Army engineers."

You will recall that the original position chosen by L'Enfant, was still located under water as late as 1820, so it would be an understatement to describe it as being "swamp-like" in the 1840's. If the original position was too swampy, how do you imagine that you could dig down 111 feet, just 120 yards away? Imagine digging a pit 111x80 feet in the 1840's. Any way, we know that the foundation was not 20% of 555 feet but is 36'10".
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  21:14:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

It's hilarious that you cite this and ask us to explain it. Since you missed it, the site actually disproves all the lame 666 conspiracy junk you believe in! Your reading comprehension skills are so poor that you failed to see it!

(Hint: "Personally, I find it difficult to believe that any number or geometric figure can be inherently evil.")

No, I've heard it mentioned before about lot 666 being the capital building. The Washington monument being 555 ft tall, with 110 feet in the ground, for a 666 ft. tall building.

So basically symbolism is everywhere, and to me, a Christian it means something.

And again V you have the wrong number. 616 is what you need to be looking for. No wonder Satan is running lose in the world, your looking in the wrong place!

What are you talking about?

You didn't check my link in my first post did you? Well here it is again. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

There are old texts that they have found where the number of the beast is not 666 but 616 or 655. Guess the Devil has a good misinformation department.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  22:20:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
V said:
quote:
The Washington monument being 555 ft tall, with 110 feet in the ground, for a 666 ft. tall building.

555 + 110 = 666?

Interesting.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  02:10:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

V said:
quote:
The Washington monument being 555 ft tall, with 110 feet in the ground, for a 666 ft. tall building.

555 + 110 = 666?

Interesting.

I googled 666 just now, and came up with Target.com. Seems they are advertising with the google popups on the side of the screen.

666 Products
666 products Online.
Shop Target.com
www.Target.com

That just doesn't happen by accident.

http://www.google.com/search?q=666+products&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-36,GGLJ:en&start=10&sa=N

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/601-7391566-9577755?node=13458921&AFID=Google&LNM=666_Products&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT1592

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  02:58:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get it, V. I opened your links and saw nothing that related to 666. Que, as they say, pasa?

I did see something related to soy beans in India and an outfit selling lesbian dildos, but beyond that, not much of interest.

Come to think of it, I don't recall anything seeing anything anywhere for sale that's along these lines. I suspect that, unlike the Darwin Fish, 666 and related items are just not much of a seller.

Some fear the number, some do not fear the number and think the whole thing is silly, and the rest don't seem to much care. That makes for a product buried in shelf dust.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  05:13:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just googled 666, and all I saw were a bunch of ignorant assholes lying to people about the end of the world. At least that was on page one. And none of the adverts were selling anything except "The Omen" DVD. That just doesn't happen by accident.

Probably the devil made the google search different for me without me asking Him. The devil loves to take care of His flock.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  05:35:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

It's hilarious that you cite this and ask us to explain it. Since you missed it, the site actually disproves all the lame 666 conspiracy junk you believe in! Your reading comprehension skills are so poor that you failed to see it!

(Hint: "Personally, I find it difficult to believe that any number or geometric figure can be inherently evil.")

Ummmmm. V-man. 555+110 = 665.

Sorry to break that to you. Simple math's a bitch, eh?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  05:48:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dude

V said:
quote:

555 + 110 = 666?

Interesting.

I googled 666 just now, and came up with Target.com. Seems they are advertising with the google popups on the side of the screen.

666 Products
666 products Online.
Shop Target.com
www.Target.com

That just doesn't happen by accident.

http://www.google.com/search?q=666+products&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-36,GGLJ:en&start=10&sa=N

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/601-7391566-9577755?node=13458921&AFID=Google&LNM=666_Products&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT1592

That is some great marketing, especially with the current 666 craze...

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  15:54:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

V_D wrote:
quote:
Ummmmm. V-man. 555+110 = 665.

Sorry to break that to you. Simple math's a bitch, eh?
But there's the ancient birthday-spanking tradition, something I always felt was obviously Satanic. At the end the birthday boy's spanking, with one swat administered per year of age, there's the bonus swat: "And one to grow on!"

So: 555 +110 +1 = 666

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.