Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  08:42:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message
Did any of you read what they had to say? You people aren't physicists yet you consider yourselves qualified to evaluate anything put in front of you. Why the double standard?

No witty quotes. I think for myself.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  12:52:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ergoman

The notion that explosives were used does not need to include the notion that damage to the building was not inflicted by the planes. The official theory and the cd theory are not mutually exclusive.

In fact, it is possible that the damage from the planes was enough to bring down the buildings. But that doesn't mean that explosives were not used.

It is this kind of thinking that is causing the uproar you are so proud of. Your theory is that even if it is shown conclusively that the planes were enough to bring the building down completely then it still does not prove that explosions were not placed and/or used. So how would one, short of time traveling back and checking, prove to you that explosion were not used (since proving them an unnecessary hyopothesis and removing them with the Razor is not enough for you) Ergoman.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Edited by - Neurosis on 10/15/2006 12:53:35
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  13:49:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ergo123

Did any of you read what they had to say? You people aren't physicists yet you consider yourselves qualified to evaluate anything put in front of you. Why the double standard?
No double standard at all. The claim put before us was:
because dozens of experts in physics and material sciences think explosives WERE involved.
The evidence put forth to support the claim was
http://www.scholarsfor911truth.org/
The evidence clearly fails to support the claim, and one need not be a physicist in order to evaluate the claim (in other words, to count the number of physicists and materials scientsts who are members of Scholars for 9/11 Truth).

This is very much like the Discovery Institute's "list of scientists who doubt evolution," which is full of engineers, electricians, philosophers and astronomers, and extraordinarily light on biologists. Why is it that crackpot pseudoscientists engage in the same sorts of deceptive behaviour regardless of the subject matter?

[This thread will soon be locked due to length]

[Edited for paragraph screw-up]

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  13:53:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.scholarsfor911truth.org/ br /

What a joke.

The site lists 6 "peer reviewed" papers. Not one of which is, in fact, a peer reviewed work. None of them have been published in any legitimate journal, and the "peer review" is just a made-up claim.

So lets look at some of these "peer reviewed" papers and who wrote them.

This one is by David Ray Griffin.

Dr Griffin does indeed have a PhD, in theology. So why is he a credible source of information on collapsing buildings?

Gordon Ross, a mechanical engineer. But his "paper" doesn't accurately describe the WTC structure. If the WTC were built how he seems th thinkl they were built, then maybe he would have something meaningfull to add.

Then there is Frank Legee who appears to have a PhD in chemistry.....

This one pretty much proves that the only "peer review" being done here is by other delusional people who happen to share the common delusion of controlled demolitions being used on the WTC buildings.

And so on and so on...

They even have a full list of their members:
http://www.scholarsfor911truth.org/WhoAreWe.html

They are tremendously short on anyone with a relevant degree (there are a couple that seem to have relevant degrees, but specialties within those fields that are not relevant). Conspiciously absent from their list of "full members" is anyone with knowledge of controlled demolitions. You'd think that a group of "scholars" wouldn' be willing to speak so far outside their own areas of personal expertise. They can't even claim that they have anyone with knowledge of controlled demolitions in their group!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  14:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

quote:
Originally posted by Ergoman

The notion that explosives were used does not need to include the notion that damage to the building was not inflicted by the planes. The official theory and the cd theory are not mutually exclusive.

In fact, it is possible that the damage from the planes was enough to bring down the buildings. But that doesn't mean that explosives were not used.

It is this kind of thinking that is causing the uproar you are so proud of. Your theory is that even if it is shown conclusively that the planes were enough to bring the building down completely then it still does not prove that explosions were not placed and/or used. So how would one, short of time traveling back and checking, prove to you that explosion were not used (since proving them an unnecessary hyopothesis and removing them with the Razor is not enough for you) Ergoman.

Well, NIST could start by modeling the 10 - 15 seconds after the towers eere "poised tp collapse." This could provide evidence that the input to their model of 'pre-collapse' would have resulted in the type of collapse we all saw that day.

Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  14:14:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

because dozens of experts in physics and material sciences think explosives WERE involved.
The evidence clearly fails to support the claim, and one need not be a physicist in order to evaluate the claim (in other words, to count the number of physicists and materials scientsts who are members of Scholars for 9/11 Truth).

Sorry, I forgot how concrete and literal you guys are. I should have sail "several" where I said dozens. But interesting how again you focus on the minutia rather than the content.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  15:26:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Sorry, I forgot how concrete and literal you guys are. I should have sail "several" where I said dozens. But interesting how again you focus on the minutia rather than the content.
But "because dozens of experts in physics and material sciences think explosives WERE involved" is all the content you offered: just a number and an appeal to authority, and it is wrong on the former piont and the latter is a logical fallacy. You didn't present any other content for any of us to focus on.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  15:29:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

Since when did accuracy in language become "minutiae"? You want it both ways. Accuracy when you need it. Vagueness when your weak-assed arguments fail to sway. You're nothing more than a diatribe-spouting fool.

So why don't you now post the data from the "several" rather than "dozens" (huge difference, BTW, not minutiae). You've seen the difference. Put your physicists where your mouth is.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  15:34:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Again, when you make an assertion of fact, it will be checked. Next time, you should be more careful with your words. It is interesting how you are bothered by people who check up on assertions of fact. It could explain a lot. The fact that the, as you say, "minutia" is wrong has a lot to do with the content also. This sounds like our current president; everyone was so caught up in the "minutia" that there weren't any WMDs rather than the content...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  17:54:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
[This thread is locked due to its length. Part two has already begun.]

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.