Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  11:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Just so's ya know. I am now sitting at a computer in a jury waiting room, fulfilling my civic responsibility. Not that I want to be here. I am here because the law says I must be here or else. What is cool for a nominal fee, I get to do this while waiting to be called. Hopefully, I will not be called because I can't really afford to be here. But it could happen. Sigh...

I brought a book. I had no idea that I would have online access. Not that I wouldn't have brought a book anyway, but hey. By the way, this computer sucks. It's fast but I suppose the keyboard has been abused by late in the day jurists who finally went berserk over the boredom of just sitting here, waiting, while hoping to not be called and finally lost it...

Stay tuned for my breakdown. I am starting to believe that it would be doing the next person who tries to use this thing a service by finishing it off...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:01:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I just ignore jury duty till it goes away, worked twice already.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:08:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Amazingly, when I lived in Baltimore I was called to jury duty 4 times in 6 years. I went twice, and twice got out of it. I was never actually called to do anything, so I spent the day reading the 4th Harry Potter book (the first tour) and translating cuneiform (the second tour). It's easy if you're a grad student and have minimal fixed obligations, but I would have to have missed out on a day's pay for that-- even with the $15 in compensation they give you!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:08:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I just ignore jury duty till it goes away, worked twice already.

They changed the law here. Up to this year, that is what I did too. Now, that can get you a big fine and you will still have to show up at another time.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:50:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
The bigger fine the better.

I think there should also be a "community Service" fine of a couple of hundred hours for skipping.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:51:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Oh, and I hope they don't call you.... but I am glad you showed up, even if it was out of fear instead of civic responsibility.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  13:08:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

I think there should also be a "community Service" fine of a couple of hundred hours for skipping.

Peace
Joe

I hear you Joe. But honestly, for some of us it really is a financial burden to be here. I would love to be able to relax about it and look forward to being on a jury. As a critical thinker, I think it would be fun to do that. (And of course, I might wind up on a jury today, fun or not.)

But I'll tell you what. You could help by donating to the Send Kil To TAM 5 cause, just to show your appreciation for my for being here actively loosing money that I need, by fulfilling my civic responsibility.

I also plan to vote. I wonder what that's worth..?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  13:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
15 lousy bucks! That's insane! For a loosing day's work?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  13:26:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

No. For loosing two day's work. You get nothing for the first day. $15 bucks for every day after that.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  13:28:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Actually, it's for lunch. There's no compensation for work missed. It's "civic duty". Like Kil, I think that being a juror might be fun. But it does cut into the regular day-to-day activities one normally has planned. Like earning a living!

Again, as a grad student, I didn't have that sort of complication. But plenty of others do!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  14:06:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Some of us work for companies that perform their own civic duty by paying for the time lost to jury duty. Mine will let me charge the time to a jury-duty overhead account, instead of using up my earned vacation time or taking leave without pay. So I'll take all the jury duty I can get, 'cause an extra few dollars for a day that I can spend mostly reading is a good one.

However, if the checks handed out by the court amount to more than $20 a day, I have to sign them over to my employer.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  18:07:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Okay, here is an update. I got called late in the day along with about 20 others to be possible jurors. So far they have only asked preliminary questions to half of us, me included. That means I will have to go back tomorrow as they continue the selection process until completion. At that time I will either be dismissed or decide a case that the judge says will take up to six days. That is, six days until the jury gets the case…

I'm less than thrilled.

The upside is that if I do wind up on this jury, it is a criminal case and it looks like it could be very interesting. (I'm not supposed to talk about the actual case. I am assuming that means in here as well as anywhere else.) So I will not be bored as I go down the tubes…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  09:59:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Just answer a question with "I believe men are guilty before proven innocent." That should get you out of there in no time.

Or you could just tell them you are a psychic and already know (s)he's guilty.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  17:56:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Update:

Today, attorneys for both the prosecution and the defense asked us questions. Yesterday, only the judge asked us questions. I was as honest as I could be. That got me dismissed. I was asked more questions than many of the other prospective jurors, perhaps because of my long hair. I dunno…

Anyhow, I can't say that I am unhappy about being sent home. I can now go on earning a living so I will not have to resort to robbing a bank to survive…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  06:32:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:

Peace
Joe

I also plan to vote. I wonder what that's worth..?

Less then your time on jury duty....

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  06:43:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:

Peace
Joe

But I'll tell you what. You could help by donating to the Send Kil To TAM 5 cause, just to show your appreciation for my for being here actively loosing money that I need, by fulfilling my civic responsibility.

Gees......... I didn't come hee to be solicited....LOL

(kidding, which dosen't translate well)

Done. I have actually been meaning too... Next time I am sending a check though...... I hate Paypal.....

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.