New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  10:37:40  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
In Dixie County, Florida, a 10 Commandments monument has been installed on the courthouse steps:

quote:
A six-ton block of granite bearing the Ten Commandments had been installed atop the courthouse steps. Inscribed at the base was the admonition to "Love God and keep his commandments."

"There are no negatives there to live by," said Skipper Jones, former owner and publisher of the county's weekly newspaper. Jones served as spokesman Monday for Joe Anderson Jr., one of the leaders of the effort to have the monument constructed and situated at no cost to the county.

"Mr. Anderson was involved with others and took a very active role in seeing this was accomplished because he feels this is something the country needs to get back to," Jones said.

The concept of a Ten Commandments monument was endorsed by county commissioners, according to the minutes of the Jan. 19 regular board meeting.

Former Commissioner John Driggers broached the subject on behalf of an unnamed county resident, asking whether the board was "bold enough" to allow the monument to be placed at the courthouse. After then-county attorney Joey Lander told the board he would defend any lawsuits stemming from the decision for free, commissioners voted in favor of allowing the project to proceed

Here is a Hannity & Colmes interview with attorney Lander and Daniel Morgan from the University of Florida Atheist, Agnostic and Freethinking Student Association, including video of the hideous thing (the monument, not Hannity, well OK he's in there too).

Once again, what the fuck is with these numbnuts having to use public property to shove their superstitions down everybody else's throats? Sometimes I really do wish somebody would rapture their asses off the planet just so we would be rid of them and their theocratic bull.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  17:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
11. Thou shalt look in the bleedin' dictionary before carving up your chunka marble

ADULTRY, eh?

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  17:36:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

11. Thou shalt look in the bleedin' dictionary before carving up your chunka marble

ADULTRY, eh?

Nice catch, ktesibios! That thing needs to go back to God, Whose spell-checker is apparently on the fritz, for a recarving. Unless He can reach it where it is with lightning and somehow squeeze in the missing "E."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  17:47:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

ADULTRY, eh?

On a serious note, I'm glad this wasn't in Alabama again.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  17:48:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Unless He can reach it where it is with lightning and somehow squeeze in the missing "E."

Now THAT would be some proof! Come on god, here's your chance!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  18:20:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:

ADULTRY, eh?

Ha! I posted about that typo on the newspapers comment page, along with this link on the Ten Commandments and U.S. Law...
http://www.sodabob.com/DeepThoughts/DT_2004_11_10.asp

Ba-da-bing!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  00:54:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  02:57:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

quote:
Former Commissioner John Driggers broached the subject on behalf of an unnamed county resident, asking whether the board was "bold enough" to allow the monument to be placed at the courthouse. After then-county attorney Joey Lander told the board he would defend any lawsuits stemming from the decision for free, commissioners voted in favor of allowing the project to proceed.

Although Lander has resigned as county attorney, he told The Sun on Monday afternoon that he would uphold his offer.

"I will gladly represent them for free but I wouldn't want to challenge someone to file a lawsuit," Lander said. "If the commissioners were willing to make the bold statement, I am willing to do my part to represent the county in their bid to keep them (the commandments) there."

Somehow, I don't much think that this one will make as far as the Soopremes....

Ugly isn't it? It's sitting there like a dog turd in the laundry; an eyesore if there ever was one. At least Roy Moore's had a little artistic value. And the misspelling is just too good to be true. Are we sure that it hasn't been 'shopped by the vile and deceitful atheists?

I think that we can look forward to a few laughs over this comedy of legal and grammatical errors. I'm chuckling already.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  03:39:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
They's real articulated down there in the South.

Reminded me of a teacher interview when they were griping about mandatory testing of the teachers. The teacher being interviewed said they were articulated.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  04:46:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

They's real articulated down there in the South.

Reminded me of a teacher interview when they were griping about mandatory testing of the teachers. The teacher being interviewed said they were articulated.

Heh, that potential Nobel Laureate probably meant reticulated, but couldn't remember how the speling went.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

skiddum

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  04:50:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skiddum's Homepage  Send skiddum an AOL message Send skiddum a Private Message
quote:
Here is a Hannity & Colmes interview with attorney Lander and Daniel Morgan from the University of Florida Atheist, Agnostic and Freethinking Student Association, including video of the hideous thing (the monument, not Hannity, well OK he's in there too).

Once again, what the fuck is with these numbnuts having to use public property to shove their superstitions down everybody else's throats? Sometimes I really do wish somebody would rapture their asses off the planet just so we would be rid of them and their theocratic bull.

Thanks for the plug. The Gainesville Sun has a newer article on it, as well as the UF campus paper -- the Alligator:
Sun
Alligator1
Alligator2
FFRF Press Release

PS: here is our group (AAFSA) page http://aasauf.blogspot.com/

Luciferi primo cum sidere frigida rura carpamus, dum mane novum, dum gramina canent
--Virgil, Georgics (III, 324-5)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  05:55:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi skiddum! Welcome to SFN!

I really can't believe, after the whole Roy's Rock ron-de-lay, that they put up that idiotic display. After all, they have 20+ churchs -- why couldn't one of them host it?

Thanks for the links, especally The Alligator. We'll watch with interest as the story plays out.

Keep up the good fight, bro! Looking forward to your further input...

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/04/2006 05:57:16
Go to Top of Page

skiddum

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:45:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skiddum's Homepage  Send skiddum an AOL message Send skiddum a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Hi skiddum! Welcome to SFN!

Thanks, filthy. I've been registered for a while, but haven't posted too much.

quote:
I really can't believe, after the whole Roy's Rock ron-de-lay, that they put up that idiotic display. After all, they have 20+ churchs -- why couldn't one of them host it?

They want to break the law, snub Romans 13, and feel proud of themselves for doing so.

quote:
Thanks for the links, especally The Alligator. We'll watch with interest as the story plays out.

Basically now it is a matter of finding someone who lives there who is willing to bring a suit.

quote:
Keep up the good fight, bro! Looking forward to your further input...

Thanks, and will do :)

Luciferi primo cum sidere frigida rura carpamus, dum mane novum, dum gramina canent
--Virgil, Georgics (III, 324-5)
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  14:13:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

I really can't believe, after the whole Roy's Rock ron-de-lay, that they put up that idiotic display.
Itīs a win-win situation. The get to show off their own piety and also show how the evil atheists are out to destroy christianity, and the american way of life...

Donations anyone?

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.