New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  06:01:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

The word Christian may have first been used as a mockery meaning "little christ" or simply like christ, or christ mimic. It is not completely clear and not that important. Third try the bible Romans and Collosians.
So ... it may have, or it may not have, and it's not completely clear, and it's not that important. Thanks for the clarification. I fully expect that you'll demonstrate the same acuity when explaining you adolescent and nonsensical claim that "it is impossible to be a Christian* and not be a bigot".

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  07:34:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist

quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

The word Christian may have first been used as a mockery meaning "little christ" or simply like christ, or christ mimic. It is not completely clear and not that important. Third try the bible Romans and Collosians.
So ... it may have, or it may not have, and it's not completely clear, and it's not that important. Thanks for the clarification. I fully expect that you'll demonstrate the same acuity when explaining you adolescent and nonsensical claim that "it is impossible to be a Christian* and not be a bigot".

I already explained it, right in the post I made the claim in. Then three times after. The literal translation of the word christian is not known for sure. What it means to be a Christian is spelled out here. If you can show me how you can believe that Jesus as described in the 4 canocal gospels and his words, as well as the principle that god is the ultimate source on morals and his words are recorded in the bible, without being a bigot, do it. If all you can do it criticize me for not knowing something for sure that NO BIBLICAL SCHOLAR knows then please stop posting as you are not serving anything in the disussion.

Also, do not say "there are multiple definitions of christian" because I have already conceeded that point. I am criticizing the one I linked to which is the most commonly accepted definition.

PS I am still waiting on your explanation. I comply with your request, are so special you cannot comply with mine. Or is it that you like to throw stones from a distance and not actually back anything up with evidence?

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Edited by - Neurosis on 12/12/2006 07:37:03
Go to Top of Page

skeptic griggsy
Skeptic Friend

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  11:57:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skeptic griggsy's Homepage Send skeptic griggsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[P]utting the future into the past,the effect before the cause,teleology negates time...End states are consequences[ natural causation], not foregone conclusions[ teleology], of beginning states." That would be backwards causation.Neurosis, I am neurotic: I have schizotypy and dysthemic and clinical depression. As a schizo., I am supposed to go for the supernatural and the paranormal,but I abjure and objurate both!Thank modern science for nerve medecine!

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism. Logic is the bane of theists.Religion is mythinformation. Reason saves, not a dead Galilean fanatic.
Go to Top of Page

skeptic griggsy
Skeptic Friend

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  02:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skeptic griggsy's Homepage Send skeptic griggsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us get back on the topic! Consequential atheist, yes!

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism. Logic is the bane of theists.Religion is mythinformation. Reason saves, not a dead Galilean fanatic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.