Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  00:56:02  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

Paper published in Nature seals the fate of evolutionary theory

Hempstead, New York, December 22, 2006 (SN) -- With red-rimmed eyes and ashen face, Dr. Sam Weisenheimer wearily said, "We evolutionary paleontologists used to quip that it would take finding a 'Devonian Bunny' to disprove evolution. Real fucking cute joke, that used to be, but who's laughing now? I got yer Devonian Bunny right here, dammit."

The dreaded "Devonian Bunny."

Dr. Weisenheimer, an Associate Professor of Paleontology at Hofstra University, and his colleagues from Hofstra and five other universities, have spent the last two years in intense interdisciplinary work, verifying the authenticity of the Devonian Bunny. The fossil is a near complete skeleton of a modern Eastern Cottontail rabbit found in Devonian sandstone.

The Devonian Bunny was the unchallenged master of the Devonian
Period, which may have lasted for as long as two, or even as
long as three Old Testament generations. (Artist's conception.)

The research team published their findings ("A Sylvilagus floridanus Fossil Found in Devonian Sandstone Context and its Broader Implications Regarding its Screwing Evolution's Pooch") today in Nature, the prestigious peer-reviewed science journal.

"Well, that's the end of the Theory of Evolution," said Weisenheimer. We'll have to find another theory, now."

But not all paleontologists are ready to concede. Dr. Eliot Binger of UCLA said, "Okay, so it's a real bunny in a real Devonian context. But it's still a hoax. I think it was planted by time-traveling Creationists."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/26/2006 17:44:32

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  05:57:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Alright, now I can get to work.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  10:08:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:

Alright, now I can get to work.

As long as that work isn't in the evolutionary sciences, sure.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  14:05:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Mmmm. Devonian Bunny, very fried with a side of red beans & rice. That's paleontology at it's best!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  15:53:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Again, with the cooking, and the peppering, and the eating?

Filthy, as you probably guessed, your recent mention of the Bunny got me thinking about this spoof. Thanks!

Side note: Isn't it interesting how a a gag about a discovery which would be fairly devastating to secular people, is received by them not only with tolerance, but with good humor? Compare this with the flip side of the coin, where I'd dug up a mortal Jesus' bones. From one person's reaction, not so funny to the religious!

My attitude is: If someone is offended by an attempt to make them laugh (or just think), then screw them. I'll always be delighted to offend such people. Their being offended, after all, is a measure of their own bullheadedness. The anger is its own punishment. If any evolutionist is offended by the idea of the discovery of the Devonian Bunny, then screw him, too, for the same reason. Personally, I doubt we'll see any such thin-skinned scientific type commenting on it.

I think we see illustrated here a basic mindset difference between most secular humanists, and fundy religious people. In my opinion, he who can't laugh at himself has psychological problems, and is likely to try to seek solutions to them by bending or breaking his environment to fit his preconceptions. Such is the Authoritarian Mind, which sees little funny in the world, aside from a thug's sense of humor in the defeat of his enemies. Unlike with us, to them, turnabout is not fair play. To them, the world is a place where one is either persecuting, or being persecuted.

[Edit: spelling]

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/22/2006 18:51:44
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  17:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Damned good point, HalfMooner. You know, that quote should be saved. I'm not sure how, but I think we could really make some use from what you said. (maybe by seeing on relgious boards how many people make fun of their own positions?)

quote:

Again, with the cooking, and the peppering, and the eating?

Filthy, as you probably guessed, your recent mention of the Bunny got me thinking about this spoof. Thanks!

Side note: Isn't it interesting how a a gag about a discovery which would be fairly devastating to secular people, is received by them not only with tolerance, but with good humor? Compare this with the flip side of the coin, where I'd dug up a mortal Jesus' bones. From one person's reaction, not so funny to the religious!

My attitude is: If someone is offended by an attempt to make then laugh (or just think), then screw them. I'll always be delighted to offend such people. Their being offended, after all, is a measure of their own bullheadedness. The anger is its own punishment. If any evolutionist is offended by the idea of the discovery of the Devonian Bunny, then screw him, too, for the same reason. Personally, I doubt we'll see any such thin-skinned scientific type commenting on it.

I think we see illustrated here a basic mindset difference between most secular humanists, and fundy religious people. In my opinion, he who can't laugh at himself has psychological problems, and is likely to try to seek solutions to them by bending or breaking his environment to fit his preconceptions. Such is the Authoritarian Mind, which sees little funny in the world, aside from a thug's sense of humor in the defeat of his enemies. Unlike with us, to them, turnabout is not fair play. To them, the world is a place where one is either persecuting, or being persecuted.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  01:47:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

Damned good point, HalfMooner. You know, that quote should be saved. I'm not sure how, but I think we could really make some use from what you said. (maybe by seeing on relgious boards how many people make fun of their own positions?)

Thanks much, t_i! I don't know about saving my blather, but I do hope people will think about such ideas when they find themselves mystified by fundy behavior.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.