Do You Believe in Magic?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  12:52:10  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
The New York Times had an interesting feature (reg. required) about humans and superstition:
quote:
New research demonstrates that habits of so-called magical thinking — the belief, for instance, that wishing harm on a loathed colleague or relative might make him sick — are far more common than people acknowledge.

These habits have little to do with religious faith, which is much more complex because it involves large questions of morality, community and history. But magical thinking underlies a vast, often unseen universe of small rituals that accompany people through every waking hour of a day.
Indeed, according to a number of studies discussed inthe article, it almost seems as though we're hard-wired for such things.

As skeptics, it's something to keep in mind...

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  12:58:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yeah were hard wired to kill rival males too, we just need better training in this area. Erm, I mean basic training...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  13:02:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Yeah were hard wired to kill rival males too, we just need better training in this area. Erm, I mean basic training...

And good equipment.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  16:53:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Like body armor and food rations. We are good at being competitive and competition means somebody losses. The bigger the win, the bigger the lose on the other side of the field. Its just nature. Civilization is in place to guide nature and shape it to be, well, more civil.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  17:45:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Artist: The Lovin' Spoonful
Song: Do You Believe in Magic

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart
How the music can free her, whenever it starts
And it's magic, if the music is groovy
It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie
I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul
But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

If you believe in magic don't bother to choose
If it's jug band music or rhythm and blues
Just go and listen it'll start with a smile
It won't wipe off your face no matter how hard you try
Your feet start tapping and you can't seem to find
How you got there, so just blow your mind

If you believe in magic, come along with me
We'll dance until morning 'til there's just you and me
And maybe, if the music is right
I'll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night
And we'll go dancing, baby, then you'll see
How the magic's in the music and the music's in me

Yeah, do you believe in magic
Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul
Believe in the magic of rock and roll
Believe in the magic that can set you free
Ohh, talking 'bout magic

Do you believe like I believe Do you believe in magic
Do you believe like I believe Do you believe, believer
Do you believe like I believe Do you believe in magic
[Fade]

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 01/23/2007 17:45:39
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  18:25:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Has this thread been hijacked? I'm not sure...
Go to Top of Page

marduk

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  19:54:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send marduk a Yahoo! Message Send marduk a Private Message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puyaAkpDHZQ
this is the worlds best magician
i guarantee theres no tricks
everything he does is real

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  13:47:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Wow. As Ricky pointed out to me in the new thread, I posted the same topic in the Health folder today...

Duh!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  19:54:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Wow. As Ricky pointed out to me in the new thread, I posted the same topic in the Health folder today...

Duh!!!

Well it could be worse, Kil-- it could be hijacked right from the start and devolve into song lyrics. At least we both opted for the same heading, even if we put it in different folders...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.