Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  01:13:12  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The vast majority of the following artwork is not mine, but is by the hand of that dangerously under-estimated genius, Jack Chick.

Yes, I just called Jack Chick a genius! I state this even though Chick's cartoon artwork might be charitably described as second-rate, and even though his themes take a "lowest common denominator" approach to what he clearly assumes is a remarkably ignorant, stupid, and semi-literate target group. I say Chick is a genius, because he is wildly successful.

Jack Chick's mind seems to be a seething, paranoid landscape in which he sees Satanic conspiracies everywhere. Chick uses the crassest lies, bigotry, fear-mongering, errors and hate in his self-appointed role as the Joseph Goebbels of Jesus.

He attacks Wicca, Dungeons and Dragons, Freemasonry, evolutionary science, Catholics, Muslims, homosexuals, abortion and rock-and-roll, all with a deep sense of hatred, equating them all with Satan.

He does this through his (in)famous "Chick Tracts," more than 150 comic tracts that he prints by the hundreds of millions, in many languages. And this is actually a profitable enterprise for him, because fundamentalists buy his tracts in quantity from Chick Publications, and then give them away (or just lay them on bus station benches) for free. Chick Tracts must be effective, because he's still cranking them out. (One of them, the anti-evolution epic, "Big Daddy," even had some of its exact wording incorporated into an Arkansas anti-evolution bill.)

Genius. Draw crummy cartoons, tell lies by the hundreds, have many people think you are a saint, and get rich on it all. Not my favorite kind of genius, but genius nonetheless.

The following parody is based upon one of Chick's more moderate tracts, "Holy Joe." Apparently in Chick's mind the US military is populated mainly by sadistic atheists. (That's not quite how I recall it, but maybe Chick remembers more clearly than I do.) The original "Holy Joe" cartoon can be seen here. I hope you will read it carefully, and before you read my parody.

My parody used Jack Chick's original artwork. For the most part, I simply substituted my own dialogue in place of Chick's. I also replaced Biblical quotations with quotations of Richard Dawkins (though sometimes I simply had Dawkins say silly stuff I made up). I sometimes modified the artwork in small ways. Even though I did not do the underlying artwork, I did spend several eighteen-hour days slaving over this project. I'm not complaining -- it was all a hoot!

In no way does my parody reflect the thinking of Jack Chick, or of Chick Publications! Please do not confuse my hatchet-job with a real Chick Tract hatchet job! Nor does SFN or Richard Dawkins have anything to do with this little one-off parody of mine. It's all my fault!

Beware, I inserted a few dirty words for comedic effect.

Presenting, in 23 images...

"Unholy Joe"

[Edit: Moved all files off an unreliable server.]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/14/2009 15:17:13

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  03:50:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember fundies leaving Chick's goofy cartoon booklets from my high school days many years ago. I like the way your parody ends. (Wonder if Dr. Mabuse will dig it.)

And here's the Sunday Morning Show with Graham Clark. (Thanks to MadTV)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  04:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Chip! Mab may be too depressed to like that last gag.

Go to Top of Page

craiger

11 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  11:16:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send craiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well done! My only concern is having Unholy Joe do things like dump in the boots and tinkle in the food. I feel those actions lower him to the levels of those he despises. What other insulting things could he do that would be in keeping with the high ideals of atheism?
Somewhere I have Chippewa's version of HOLYJOE from the 70's. He ripped it up pretty well, for a high school student armed only with an eraser and an ink pen.
Again, good job!
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  11:36:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You obviously have way too much free time on your hands, HM.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  12:07:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NINJAS!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  12:08:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill scott

Funny, BS-- that's what I think when I hear Christians talk about prayer, Bible study groups, going to church, and evangelizing.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/26/2007 12:09:05
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  12:15:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hear come the lawyers...

(Very nicely done HM!)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  12:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craiger

Very well done! My only concern is having Unholy Joe do things like dump in the boots and tinkle in the food. I feel those actions lower him to the levels of those he despises. What other insulting things could he do that would be in keeping with the high ideals of atheism?
Somewhere I have Chippewa's version of HOLYJOE from the 70's. He ripped it up pretty well, for a high school student armed only with an eraser and an ink pen.
Again, good job!

I was somewhat restrained by the cartoon I was working within. I was lucky to make a comprehensible story at all out of it. Think of Unholy Joe as an atheist gone bad, driven mad by persecution, and by the voice of Dawkins' Evil Twin in his head.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  12:35:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So true, Bill.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  12:59:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:

Funny, BS-- that's what I think when I hear Christians talk about prayer, Bible study groups, going to church, and evangelizing.

"I did spend several eighteen-hour days slaving over this project."

I don't know any Christians who spend 18 hours a day in prayer, Bible study etc... You would think with so much time on his hands a more noble cause could be pursued like combating world hunger, saving the environment, or solving the mystery of all those crop circles, rather then spending all hours of his days working on some backwoods comic strips...

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Edited by - Bill scott on 01/26/2007 13:14:01
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  13:19:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...spending all hours of his days...
Of "several" days. You quoted him yourself. How is it that you know that he's not out saving the world the rest of his days?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  13:26:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

...spending all hours of his days...
Of "several" days. You quoted him yourself. How is it that you know that he's not out saving the world the rest of his days?

I am sure that would have been in the comic strip if he was, and besides, he acknowledges that he has to much free time. Not a common trait for those out saving the world.

Edited by - Bill scott on 01/26/2007 13:30:04
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  13:32:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:

"I did spend several eighteen-hour days slaving over this project."

I don't know any Christians who spend 18 hours a day in prayer, Bible study etc... You would think with so much time on his hands a more noble cause could be pursued like combating world hunger, saving the environment, or solving the mystery of all those crop circles, rather then spending all hours of his days working on some backwoods comic strips...

And how do you know that this contribution won't help in some way to accomplish some of those things? We all have our specialties, Bill. One of mine, I like to think, is slipping the lancet of humor into the pustulent boil of fundamentalism.

The crop circle "mystery" was solved when the pranksters came forth with their admission. At least I didn't waste time trying to "solve" that! World hunger could be tackled more easily if religious wars weren't preventing vast areas, like the Horn of Africa, from receiving food and development aid.

I also am somewhat limited in what I can do by a stroke I had several years ago. And I'm retired, so my "waste" of time is pretty much my own beeswax.

Not that it's my business, but have you signed yet up to drive trucks in Iraq, as Bush invited in his State of the Union speech, Bill?

[Edited for spelling: "can forth" to "came forth"]

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/26/2007 15:17:19
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  14:01:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

We all have our specialties, Bill. One of mine, I like to think, is slipping the lancet of humor into the pustulent boil of fundamentalism.

That and 50 cent might get you a hot cup of coffee.

quote:
World hunger could be tackled more easily if religious wars weren't preventing vast areas, like the Horn of Africa, from receiving food and development aid.

See, there you go. You can publish your atheism booklets and send them to the Horn of Africa and use them to combat world hunger.

quote:
I also am somewhat limited in what I can do by a stroke I had several years ago.

I am sorry to hear that.

quote:
And I'm retired, so my "waste" of time is pretty much my own beeswax.

True. Unless you post your beeswax on a public forum and then sit back and wait for comments that is.

quote:
Not that it's my business, but have you signed yet up to drive trucks in Iraq, as Bush invited in his State of the Union speech, Bill?

Have you? You obviously have the time and you could pass out your atheism booklets at the same time. Your currently underachieving, HM.

Edited by - Bill scott on 01/26/2007 14:17:11
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  14:11:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it that HM's hobbies are to be mocked, BS? Do you have hobbies, BS? Have you spent, say, a few afternoons fishing? Or engaging in a woodworking project? Or is everything you do every day fully 100% productive in the conventional sense?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.