Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  01:37:57  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.conservapedia.com/Examples_of_Bias_in_Wikipedia
quote:
28. In breton "wiki" means liberal, and "pedia" means bias. The founders of wikipedia were celtic.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

Edited by - Starman on 02/22/2007 01:39:57

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  02:36:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

http://www.conservapedia.com/Examples_of_Bias_in_Wikipedia
quote:
28. In breton "wiki" means liberal, and "pedia" means bias. The founders of wikipedia were celtic.

PZ Meyers said something to the effect that Conservapedia was vulnerable to people subtly editing things to make them parodies. Perhaps this is the case in this item - or perhaps it is not necessary.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  03:04:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, they're just pissed that if you run "Conservapedia" on Wiki, you get nothing. Seems apt.... They got nothing.

quote:
2. The entry for the Renaissance in Wikipedia refuses to give any credit to Christianity.

Might it not be that it is because the Christian Church was one of the reasons that the Renaissance was necessary?

quote:
17. The Wikipedia entry for the Piltdown Man omits many key facts, such as how it was taught in schools for an entire generation and how the dating methodology used by evolutionists is fraudulent.
And then, when you click the Piltdown link, you get this tripe:
quote:
The Piltdown Man was one of many frauds perpetrated by promoters of the theory of evolution. This particular fraud was taught to an entire generation of students worldwide from 1912 to 1953, when it it was conclusively proven to be a hoax. The Piltdown Man was featured in the textbook at issue in the Scopes trial in Tennessee. Darwinists officially announced the Piltdown Man to be authentic and gave it a formal name: Eoanthropus dawsoni. This name honored the person who claimed to have found it, Charles Dawson.
It gets sillier as it continues.

This is no way an encylopedia; merely another rant against liberals and the ToE by willfully ignorant conservatives. It is truly hilarious, in the sort of way that a tour of Bedlam, when it was up and running as a madhouse, was a fun outing for some of the London populace: good for a laugh. I'd love it if SFN got a mention!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  04:19:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean, they've really got nothing! I ran several searches and came up with no article. Until, that is, I ran one on Bush, and came up with this pair of pathetic, little paragraphs:
quote:
George W. Bush
From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Is the president of the United States of America. Was elected in 2000, and then re-elected in 2004.

Some of his successes are: Defeating Saddam Hussein. Prevented any further terrorist attacks on US soil (since September 2001). Cut taxes. His actions lead to more American deaths than 9/11, yet was re-elected when running against liberal extremist John Kerry.

Sure tells you a lot about him, doesn't it? Who are these wankers, anyway?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  05:35:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So their statement that Kerry is a "liberal extremist" is not like the kind of bias they solemnly object to on Wiki? These Creationist, NeoCon fruit bats really know how to appeal to people who already believe just as they do. I guess they have given up on evangelism for Lent.

On a passing note, one of my main sources of information as a kid in the 1950's was an already decades-old set of the Book of Knowledge. We could not afford a newer set. Old Piltdown was still in good graces when that edition went to press.

If the Hobbit of Flores eventually is accepted to be a deformed modern human, watch how the Creationists will scream that it was a "Darwinist" fraud that "materialist" science tried to pull.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  08:25:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is truly the folder for any mention of conservapedia.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  09:54:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Total entry for England:
"A nation in northwest Europe. Largely secular, but increased immigration from Eastern Europe is turning the country towards Catholicism. Notable for inventing the English language."

Pathetic. And didn't English come from Germanic tribes who migrated to England? (The original inhabitents spoke a Celtic language.) So the "invention" of English would predate their arrival to "England". Is "invent" even the proper word? Don't languages evolve over tim.... oh, I see the problem. Never mind.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  11:21:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

Total entry for England:
"A nation in northwest Europe. Largely secular, but increased immigration from Eastern Europe is turning the country towards Catholicism. Notable for inventing the English language."

Pathetic. And didn't English come from Germanic tribes who migrated to England? (The original inhabitents spoke a Celtic language.) So the "invention" of English would predate their arrival to "England". Is "invent" even the proper word? Don't languages evolve over tim.... oh, I see the problem. Never mind.

God invented all the languages when the people tried to build a tower to give him a what for after realizing that his creation blew as amusement parks go.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  11:26:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty obvious to me that the whole thing is a spoof. I'm pretty sure that's why Starman posted it in "Humor."

But then I found, Googling the guy's name, that Deltoid reports that Andrew Schafly is the son of Phyllis Schafly, arch-conservative.

But then I read that Conservapedia is citing known spoofs of creationists as references.

So this is, once again, another fine example of being unable to tell extreme conservative rhetoric from spoofs of extreme conservative rhetoric.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  18:54:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Wikipedia often uses foreign spelling of words, even though most English speaking users are American."

Oh, the horror!

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  19:44:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the litteracy and general spelling/grammar I've seen in America, I bet England still have a larger number of English-spelling litterate people.

Here comes a general Ad Hom...: The relative absense of spelling and grammar error supports the idea that Conservapedia is a spoof.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  01:15:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PZ Meyers was right - this thing is wide open to parodies. Someone (perhaps Meyers or one of his regulars) got the Tree Octopus into Conservapedia.

Warning - do not click on the above link while drinking liquids - emptying your bladder first may be a good idea as well

I think Mooner could top this Conservapedia entry - it is time Moonscape News had a wider exposure.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  01:24:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

PZ Meyers was right - this thing is wide open to parodies. Someone (perhaps Meyers or one of his regulars) got the Tree Octopus into Conservapedia.

quote:
From article
[Note by Admin: Although liberal blogs are sending people to this entry, none of them seem to realize that this entry appears to be a parody of environmentalists. For example, read the above sentence again: "Unless immediate action is taken to protect this species and its habitat, the Pacific Northwest tree octopus will be but a memory."--Aschlafly 15:06, 27 February 2007 (EST)]

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the idea of the tree octopus. Having lived very near there, and having visited exactly that place, it's quite plausible. It's that wet there, but even wetter on the west side of the Olympics.

But I didn't find the story as funny as some may have. I think that note at the end shows how ignorant those folks about liberals, though. It's much more likely that conservatives will take it literally (like all good authoritarian types, they tend toward being literal in their interpretations), and be offended by a mildly environmental-ish message being inserted, maybe by one of their own, into their Orwellian compendium or errors and lies.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:25:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

quote:
From article
[Note by Admin: Although liberal blogs are sending people to this entry, none of them seem to realize that this entry appears to be a parody of environmentalists. For example, read the above sentence again: "Unless immediate action is taken to protect this species and its habitat, the Pacific Northwest tree octopus will be but a memory."--Aschlafly 15:06, 27 February 2007 (EST)]

I know-- but this looks more stupid than had they left it alone. That is, the Admin has to tell us that it "appears to be a parody." Really? And is the sentence quoted really evidence of somehow parodying environmentalists? And lastly, if the whole site is supposed to be legitimate, why keep "apparent" parodies up in the first place?
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:31:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also notied their short article on evolution. It is largely a bunch of quotes (in the typical creationist style-- woefully out of date, or taken out of context) suggesting that there is no real evidence for evolution. The final section is a discussion of SLoT:
quote:

Evolution Violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics

Evolution does in fact lower the entropy of the sum of the living DNA on this planet. The mechanism used by evolution to lower entropy is the collection and storage of information about trait survivability on strands of molecules called DNA. The theory of Evolution says that this information collects naturally through non-random selection from offspring variation.
And that's it. Good thing "conservatives" have hard-hitting alternatives such as this site to counter the "liberal bias" in things like science.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.