Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  15:51:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! Oh! Unicorns! Unimpeachable evidence for same:
quote:
The existence of unicorns is controversial. Secular opinion is that they are mythical. However, they are referred to in the Bible nine times,[1] which provides an unimpeachable de facto argument for their once having been in existence.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:03:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Oh! Oh! Unicorns! Unimpeachable evidence for same:
quote:
The existence of unicorns is controversial. Secular opinion is that they are mythical. However, they are referred to in the Bible nine times,[1] which provides an unimpeachable de facto argument for their once having been in existence.

That is great! The bible proves everything and thus nothing need prove the bible.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:04:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adam!:
quote:
Christians consider Adam and Eve to be the Mother and Father of the human race, and on that basis they would've had to have had a daughter for Cain or Able to marry so as to ensure that the human race was true to God's command to be fruitful and to muliply throughout the earth.[2] This was not bad or sinful because this was the pre-Flood world. Mutations had not yet begun to degrade the human genetic code from God's perfect Creation
Anything goes in a pre-Flood world! Yee-hah! Get me another beer, sister-wife!

Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:21:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Adam!:
quote:
Christians consider Adam and Eve to be the Mother and Father of the human race, and on that basis they would've had to have had a daughter for Cain or Able to marry so as to ensure that the human race was true to God's command to be fruitful and to muliply throughout the earth.[2] This was not bad or sinful because this was the pre-Flood world. Mutations had not yet begun to degrade the human genetic code from God's perfect Creation
Anything goes in a pre-Flood world! Yee-hah! Get me another beer, sister-wife!

God's laws of nature also ensured mutations would arise and cause all sort of diseases.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:30:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Prehistory":
quote:
Prehistory is speculation about history prior to the first written records. There is no reliable evidence to support this speculation.
There weren't nothin' afore the Bible, none of that there pre-history stuff, so don't go a-readin' none of it. Speculation's the work of the Devil!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:39:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone done Intelligent Design yet? Well, if so, it's worth another visit.
quote:
Intelligent design
From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Intelligent Design is the theory that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause (God), rather than natural processes, such as evolution. [1]

To date there have been over 40 peer reviewed articles supporting Intelligent Design in such notable publications as the Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington and internationally respected scientific journals such as Rivista di Biologia. [2]
Wow! so many!
quote:

Design Theory enjoys broad support within the scientific community which is steadily growing. From 2001 to 2007 over 700 notable scientists had signed the pro-Intelligent Design manifesto A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism published by the leaders of the design movement, the Discovery Institute.
The mind boggles...
quote:
[3] This is largely due to much new scientific evidence from many scientific disciplines such as cosmology, physics, biology that has caused scientists to question the claim of a largely atheistic scientific community that evolution is the best explanation for the origin of life and call for public school science students to study the evidence supporting it in greater detail.

I wonder; who is going to reference this -- surely not serious scholars or students. It will be interesting to see where this goes and how long it lasts. Perhaps they will come to realize that you can't have an encylopedia and bias too. Well, you can, I suppose, but don't expect to gain much recognition beyond those sharing the bias.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  17:50:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, apparently both the little home-schooled eaglets of Schlafly's Eagle Forum, and also Eagle University students actually do use this resource, in what they seem to think is a serious manner. These people seem to be working really hard to separate themselves from the real world, and from non-fundy, non-fascist humanity.

It all leaves me to wonder if we are not seeing the kind of separation into non-interbreeding populations that precedes a speciation event.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  19:17:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone notice this reference to Kent Hovind as an "Anti-Tax Activist" in a previous post (I think it was Cune)

quote:
Kent Hovind is well known for his anti-tax activism and his discovery of a plesiosaur near Japan, and his education at Patriot Bible University is thought to have been a major factor in both regards.

I think the Unicorn item must have been put in there to make them look ridiculous - but you never know with Fundies.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  20:30:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love that Hovind comment! Now, that one slid past their guard, didn't it?

And calling Hovind an "anti-tax activist" is like calling Mark David Chapman a "music critic." Funny in so many ways.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  01:10:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't resist, and looked up South Park. It seems to be something of a bone of contention.
quote:
Not encyclopedic content.--TimSvendsen 19:20, 24 January 2007 (EST)

Why isn't it? It is a vulgar cartoon, but that doesn't mean we have to have a vulgar article about it. We just need to expand the article to suit the ideals of Conservapedia. David R

We do not want to have an article on every cartoon or TV show because A) there are so many of them. B) We are not a movie/TV review site. C) number 10 on our list of examples of wikipedia bias is the following "10. Wikipedia claims about 1.5 million articles, but what it does not say is that a large number of those articles have zero educational value. For example, Wikipedia has 995 separate articles about "Moby" and "song". Many hundreds of thousands of Wikipedia articles -- perhaps over half its website -- are about music, Hollywood, and other topics and gossip beneath a regular encyclopedia." An entry on South Park, (or any cartoon or TV show) does not have educational value. entries like that are one of the reasons that we criticize Wikipedia). --TimSvendsen 22:27, 24 January 2007 (EST)
With a slam or three at Wiki on the side, which, I suspect, is the point of the whole thing; an anti-Wikipedia site. I hope these guys haven't quit their day jobs.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  02:02:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Notice that the real subtext of their criticism of Wikipedia is jealousy that Wiki has more articles -- by far! -- than they do. Sure, Wiki has more lightweight stuff, but they also have tons more of serious, useful, educational, and informative articles on tens of thousands of serious subjects. Yes, some of them are even more serious that "proving" unicorns exist on the basis of the Bible mentioning them "nine times." (You'd think that if it were the Word of God, one mention of the critters would be enough.)

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/07/2007 02:03:37
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  02:40:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Notice that the real subtext of their criticism of Wikipedia is jealousy that Wiki has more articles -- by far! -- than they do. Sure, Wiki has more lightweight stuff, but they also have tons more of serious, useful, educational, and informative articles on tens of thousands of serious subjects. Yes, some of them are even more serious that "proving" unicorns exist on the basis of the Bible mentioning them "nine times." (You'd think that if it were the Word of God, one mention of the critters would be enough.)

I loved the 'unicorn' entry you posted. A classic! I tried the Flying Spagetti Monster, but they have nothing on it. I guess they're selective with their trivia.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  03:03:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe! That's it! Instead of actually posting parodies on Consarnapedia, we need only claim we did! Much easier, more disruptive, and even more fun!

Actually, though urged to, I have myself posted nothing there. Yet. Haven't gotten a good enough idea yet. Anyone watching Moonscape would know I've been in a comedic slump. This has no doubt been brought on by the distraction of hardware trouble with my new computer -- finally conquered! After a good rest or two, maybe my bitch-slut-muse will return to spend a few hours of charity time with me.

Anytime I you see me just picking a random chemical element to lampoon, you're seeing the tell-tale of a humorist at a low point. (Hmmm... Maybe I'll attach Dembski's head to something silly. Yeah, that ought to make you guys chuckle, even if none of you laughed the first ten times I did it.)

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  03:59:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I all but never get into that sort of thing, I am tempted a bit as well. But Conservapidia is such an easy target, it might not be much fun. Not much challenge, really.

However, it might be a gas to write something on the platypus, and how the evolutionarians try to use this discombobulated, little monotreme to prove their silly theory (that's all it is, you know, not a fact but a stupid theory) and deny God, the atheistic fools. Given some thought, I could likely make it read quite authoritatively.

Dunno if I'll do it or not -- if you, or anyone, wants to try the platy, feel free. There is currently no entry on it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/07/2007 04:05:45
Go to Top of Page

cactusmush

21 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  19:00:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cactusmush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Although I all but never get into that sort of thing, I am tempted a bit as well. But Conservapidia is such an easy target, it might not be much fun. Not much challenge, really.

However, it might be a gas to write something on the platypus, and how the evolutionarians try to use this discombobulated, little monotreme to prove their silly theory (that's all it is, you know, not a fact but a stupid theory) and deny God, the atheistic fools. Given some thought, I could likely make it read quite authoritatively.

Dunno if I'll do it or not -- if you, or anyone, wants to try the platy, feel free. There is currently no entry on it.

I tried to edit an article (as an innocent test...honest) but it requires a registration. I suspect that they have anticipated that conservapedia will be a magnet for free-style parody. As such there will be some initial filter to control who can edit (which just about anihilates the principle behind the "pedia" anyhow).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.