Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  13:42:32  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here we go again....

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/02/25/tomb_arc.html?category=archaeology&guid=20070225073000&&clik=news_tkr

At least the "evidence" will be shown to everyone first via the Discovery Channel on TV. That sure beats peer review any day.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tomb/tomb.html?dcitc=w99-502-ah-1024

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  15:22:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
New scientific evidence, including DNA analysis conducted at one of the world's foremost molecular genetics laboratories, as well as studies by leading scholars, suggests a 2,000-year-old Jerusalem tomb could have once held the remains of Jesus of Nazareth and his family.

Jesus was an only child according to the catholics and his blood line certainly isn't known to anyone but the Priory of Scion (total joke there no letters please). How can they do a DNA test to determine the relation to a fictional character?

Edited to add:

I think that the most interesting thing about this story is that it shows how common the name Josuah would have been, as opposed to Emmanuel.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Edited by - Neurosis on 02/25/2007 15:30:11
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  15:29:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy! Just look for the GOD gene.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  16:29:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to have the DNA of "the virgin Mary", "Jesus" and "Joseph" sequenced. We would expect Mary and Jesus to have half of their alleles in common. But what would we expect the rest of Jesus' alleles to look like. Certainly not like Joseph's. Maybe we will find a whole haploid set of God genes. Some of them might just look like this.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  17:06:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Easy! Just look for the GOD gene.
Guaranteed Overnight Delivery?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  17:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

I would like to have the DNA of "the virgin Mary", "Jesus" and "Joseph" sequenced. We would expect Mary and Jesus to have half of their alleles in common. But what would we expect the rest of Jesus' alleles to look like. Certainly not like Joseph's. Maybe we will find a whole haploid set of God genes. Some of them might just look like this.

Or, if God doesn't have genes, maybe he was actually a clone of Mary. Parthogenesis, y'know.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  18:52:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

Or, if God doesn't have genes, maybe he was actually a clone of Mary. Parthogenesis, y'know.

Then god performed a divine sex change and viola, a man that will turn the other cheek.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  19:56:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if they have actually dug up Jesus' bones, that's it for Christianity.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/25/2007 19:57:22
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  03:07:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not buying it. It doesn't look like the Jesus tomb I learned about in my Sunday School classes. There's supposed to be a big round stone out front.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  03:10:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

11/10/2006 - I think that should count for one of your 06 predictions. I'm impressed.

Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  03:58:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm baaaaackkk!!! But just for a short time. The professor who oversaw the work on the tomb said the claim is nonsense.

http://drjimwest.wordpress.com/2007/02/24/the-tomb-what-the-archaeologist-in-charge-said/

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 02/26/2007 04:07:36
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  04:45:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, GK....

Let's face it, friends; the Discovery Channel is strictly entertainment and, while it has more credibility than, say, the Discovery Institute, a scientific journal it ain't; not by a long chalk.

I have no doubt that all sorts of claims will be made about the the remaims found in the cave, and many of those bones will be trumpeted as the remains of some important chartecter or other, and therefore the Bible is proven to be the literal truth. It's kinda funny, when you think about it.

It's funny because it is just as likely that the contents of those ossuaries could be anyone from the town drunk to, yes, Jesus hisownbadself.

It's funny because, really, I don't see any way to prove any relationship with anyone beyond finding living people distantly related to the long-time departed. DNA testing is great, but it is not the be all/end all that some seem to think.

It's funny because, apparently, no one has thought to look for scarring on the wrist and forearm bones of any of the remains; or if they have, they're keeping the observations to themselves. Scarring would be present due to the weight of the body pulling on the wrist nails for even a short period.

It's hilarius because even if such scarring should be present, well, crucifixion was a very common form of execution of criminals, back in that day, and dem bones could have belonged to most any, cheap thug.

Ain't it fun to see Discovery dabbling in comedy...?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  05:21:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont suppose there was an incription in the tomb which read: Here lies Jesus called Christ, he lived an unremarkable life and was stabbed in the back by a prostitute he tried to cheat.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless the inscription on the "Jesus" tomb concludes with, "Yes, THAT Jesus," this stuff proves nothing. Still you gotta admit, Discovery's got itself a hot property, and people will be arguing over those ossuaries for years!

All in all, this really seems to be as irrelevant as the "evidence" some Christians present for Jesus' existence. It looks to be simply a clever spin on some random old ossuraries.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/26/2007 12:13:50
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:08:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

11/10/2006 - I think that should count for one of your 06 predictions. I'm impressed.

Thanks, B! You'll also notice I also mentioned mtDNA evidence, while blithely skipping over the problem of finding living relatives.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:25:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and GK might note: We're skeptical here about "evidence" that would destroy Christianity, too. All evidence should be real.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.