Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:01:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote half a post explaining that i couldn't understand how it worked, then it clicked in my head halfway through.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:03:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah thanks Dr. For some reason I was preoccupied with the notion that half the sphere would be pulling you one way and the other half would be pulling you the other, then while typing this out I realised what you just explained

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  16:04:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis
If you imagine all the molecules in the room being pulled down, the ones already down will be forced over.

Eh... No, not really. They ones already down will still occupy the down region. But they will now have to compete for the space: hence the pressure will increase. Only the lighter molecules, and hotter molecules will rise due to having less mass per unit volume.

They will bump into one another. That is what I meant. Meaning more and more will accumulate at the bottom of the "floor", or outside edge of the spinning hull. So you and the air will stay in the same relative location to the hull. Even though both you and the air are moving in a circle. I was trying to envision it like molecules in a suspension in a centrifuge.
quote:

quote:
The same as cold water and hot water in a circular tube. When the heated water replaces the cold and so forth you get a spinning motion.
Hot water is less dense than cold water, cold water being heavier push away the lighter hot water, making it float on the cold.

Yes in a tub. But in a tube that is a circle. Hot water on bottom, rises to the top, cold water replaces it from the sides and that then pushes the cold on the top (because the heat source is on the bottom corner) to the bottom and so forth.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  07:52:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, three weeks ago I paid $2.09/gallon for regular gas. Last night, I paid $2.49 at the same gas station. What the hell is going on?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  08:10:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you still paid right? need I say more?

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  19:24:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Okay, three weeks ago I paid $2.09/gallon for regular gas. Last night, I paid $2.49 at the same gas station. What the hell is going on?

Hmmmm, what could be the problem?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  20:42:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to be serious about the gas-price thing for a minute, the last time I remember it jumping up so fast was right after Katrina. At least they had an excuse, of sorts, then.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  18:12:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have any meteors ever been witnessed coming through cloud cover while glowing hot?

I was just thinking that'd probably be pretty cool and terrifying at the same time.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  03:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Have any meteors ever been witnessed coming through cloud cover while glowing hot?

I was just thinking that'd probably be pretty cool and terrifying at the same time.

Yes. I win.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  05:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do pickles have no calories?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  05:27:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Why do pickles have no calories?

I dunno -- she looks caloretic enough to me....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.