Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bibleland
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  13:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Bibleland's Homepage Send Bibleland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello SF's,

I just wanted to chime in and say "hello" and update you all. You all seem bored so I hope to give you something new to comment about.

We at the museum have evolved our method of presenting "the evidence" and wanted to get some feed back from an audience with the largest teeth. That being SFN. The following is a link to our NEW mission statement. I believe it states our intention clearly. But if not I would like hear from you on that too. http://www.lostworldmuseum.com/?page_id=2

WARNING: You are about to leave a skeptic friendly site to a creationist site. Proceed with caution.

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  13:17:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Bibleland-- long time no see. The mission statement is fine as far as it goes, though I doubt that the question "ape, alien or Adam" is really "age old" right?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  13:34:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bibleland

Hello SF's,

I just wanted to chime in and say "hello" and update you all. You all seem bored so I hope to give you something new to comment about.

We at the museum have evolved our method of presenting "the evidence" and wanted to get some feed back from an audience with the largest teeth. That being SFN. The following is a link to our NEW mission statement. I believe it states our intention clearly. But if not I would like hear from you on that too. http://www.lostworldmuseum.com/?page_id=2

WARNING: You are about to leave a skeptic friendly site to a creationist site. Proceed with caution.

quote:
From the mission statement:
The Lost World Museum is dedicated to exploring the origins question through comparing and contrasting archeological, geological and anthropological evidences from both an evolutionary and creationist perspective.

I looked and I looked and I just couldn't find the evolutionary perspective. All I could find were not particularly accurate snippets of what you think we think. And even those were hard to find…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  17:04:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. You obviously paid good money for the pretty site layout. But the main things I saw were photos of "Chupacabras" (and please don't lie to us by claiming one of them is an "infrared photo"!) These photos seem to show skinny feral cats, except for one that looks like a dog which had starved to death.

From the Web site, it's hard to tell what your "Museum" is about, except for promoting lies and confusion about dead animals. It's pretty, as I mentioned, but sort of like a pig which has just come back from a make-over at the beauty parlor. Nether evolution nor Creationism seem very high on the Web site's agenda, nor on the Museum's, if the site is representative. It seems more like PT Barnum's "American Museum."

Do you have a sign saying, "This way to the Egress"?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/03/2007 17:09:01
Go to Top of Page

Bibleland
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  17:41:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bibleland's Homepage Send Bibleland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the input. I really do appreciate it and value it as well. I'll keep all your suggestions and observations in consideration.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  18:12:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just give us some time... We haven't all had the time to check up on your site yet. I bet there's plenty more feedback just around the corner.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  20:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm.....Well, the "infrared photo" http://www.lostworldmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/Concannon%20Chupa1%20Infrared%20copy.jpg

of an alleged Chupacabra isn't an infrared photo, first of all. And the vegetation looks more like S.E. Asia than South Carolina. Which would fit with this animal more likely being a juvenile Thylacine, which would also be unlikely, as they are most probably quite extinct.
But one never knows.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis-Mars/1237/thylacine.jpg

The site needs some work. It is not easy to navigate (poorly structured), and has very little information on what it claims to be about.

Other than those things, it's actually quite average.

Hope this helps.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Edited by - McQ on 03/03/2007 20:03:14
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  20:16:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this post is out of line, mods please let me know. But this information makes me think someone has been into the communion wine or something. I'm just wondering how, based on the following Vision Statement for Woo-woo Studios, they think that they are firming up biblical credibility? Does a make believe mummy that no one can find prove something from the bible?

First, the vision statement, and second is another article on the Woo-woo Studios:

Vision Statement

The vision of Bibleland Studios is to capture the attention of humanity and establish the credibility of Biblical concepts, reaching people through various modern methods of media.

Bibleland Studios agrees with George Lucas in that we recognize “the power that art has to motivate and inspire, and we see clearly how color, form, music and language combine to create the most potent forms of communication and expression.” Everything we produce will reach the heart through the imagination by presenting all content in an entertaining, educational and inspirational nature. A Biblical principal will be learned in every story, an object lesson in every graphic.

Using Hollywood quality with Disney World magic, Bibleland Studios will showcase the stories of the Bible in a fresh, contemporary format, taking the fragments of history and piecing together the past, present and future of the human race.

Ok, now the nonsensical mummy garbage:

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2005/02/03/news/wyoming/3b6d4aad0120fde187256f9c00839d78.txt

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  22:18:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the chupacabra pics!

To bad they are just pics of cats. The look like a odd colored Serval, probably the offspring of some cat-farm escapee and the resident wild cats in SC.

And the one photo is definitely not infrared.

Here are some actual IR pics, for comparison.
http://engineering.union.edu/edge/ir-pics.html

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  22:23:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This seems to be just a chaotic freakshow, intended to confuse.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  22:42:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some really nifty thermal (IR) images on this page. Don't miss out on the pair of photos of the guy with his arm in a black plastic bag, about halfway down the page.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bibleland
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  06:31:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bibleland's Homepage Send Bibleland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep them coming!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  09:43:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on the "infrared photo":

I now think this is simply a normal visible-spectrum photo of a normal cat, but one that has been altered by cranking up the color saturation. I fiddled with the image in Photoshop, and found that by simply lowering the saturation by 40%, I got this rather mundane result:

An infrared photo would have shown some kind of heat signature from the cat, as much from its shadowed belly as from its back. This photo shows no sign of heat signatures. Not very imaginative fakery, IMHO.

Oh, and Bibleland: If you don't like my fair use of that photo, I'll remove it.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/04/2007 09:45:43
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  10:22:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bibleland

Keep them coming!
I think you're starting to parody yourself.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bibleland
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  11:05:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bibleland's Homepage Send Bibleland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave good to see you again. Parody? Perhaps. I've come to appreciate the kind of special perspective you folks give to the debate and specifically to what we are doing. The more different input I get the better what we do becomes. Imagine if Ken Ham were asking?
You see the difference between our organization and his is that he is focusing on the christian audience, we are focusing on the secular. Reread the mission statement and let me know if you see a difference.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  11:25:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose it's imaginable that there are some secular people you might find somewhere who would like your stuff, other than for its undoubted comedic value.

Some folk'll never eat a skunk
and then again some folk'll,
like Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.