Yeah, but it's STILL just another, stupid dinosaur
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  07:32:42  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting find.
quote:
Canadian fossil hunter finds missing link for horned dinos

Suzanne Ma, CanWest News Service; Ottawa Citizen

Published: Sunday, March 04, 2007 Article tools

OTTAWA - A new dinosaur species, dug up and identified by a Canadian researcher, may be the missing link between older dinosaurs with big horns and the small-horned creatures that followed.

The discovery of the new horned dino - named Albertaceratops nesmoi - is published in this month's Journal of Paleontology by Michael Ryan, curator of vertebrate paleontology at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. He dug up the fossils six years in southern Alberta, while still a graduate student at the University of Calgary.

Ryan, who was born and raised in Ottawa, had spent four hot summers looking for dinosaur bones in southern Alberta when he came across part of a fossilized skull on the top of a hill.

I find the term "missing link" asinine, but have to live with it, I suppose. Really, this is not all that exciting. At best, it tells us what we already know about evolutionary progression. However, whether the YECs like it or not, it is yet another example of the myriad transitional episodes in evolutionary history, as recorded in the fossil record. I'm looking forward to reading of it in other than a news article.

Congratulations to Dr. Ryan, and if any of y'all are ever in Cleveland, the Museum of Natural History is a must-visit. It is excellent.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  13:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I find the term "missing link" asinine, but have to live with it, I suppose.

Perhaps this is from talking with YECs so much. There is really nothing wrong with the term itself when used in this context, in my opinion. We are looking for these links between evolutionary stages to further understand evolution, and when we can't find something, we call it missing.

It's when you take a missing link which has been found, and still call it a missing link which is inappropriate.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  14:51:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's calling any fossil "the missing link" which is inappropriate in any context, because without a time machine we'll never know the specifics of evolutionary history. Was it actually that specific species of horned dinos which gave rise to the later ones, or was it an as-yet undiscovered very-closely-related species?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  17:27:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, Dave, only the True Believers have certain and complete knowledge. Though theirs is false.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  11:54:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This AP article from CNN starts right out with much better wording than that "missing link" crap:
quote:
A new dinosaur species was a plant-eater with yard-long horns over its eyebrows, suggesting an evolutionary middle step between older dinosaurs with even larger horns and the small-horned creatures that followed, experts said.
Now, wasn't that easy? "Evolutionary middle step." Sure, it took a few more words, but it made more sense.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.