Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  11:25:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it seems pretty clear that John is in far too deep to back out. I missed the fact that along with the web presence, he's been busy building an actual brick-and-mortar museum. I suppose, after all that work, having someone tell you that what you've invested so much of your time on contradicts the Word you're trying to spread might be so devestating that you would simply block it out. Perhaps if these points had been made back in 2000, when John was first entertaining the notion of a museum, he could have been dissuaded from damning himself. By now, though, he's probably spent six figures or more, and can't admit that it's all going the wrong way.

After all, the guy admits to being "prone to extremism" and obsessive behaviors. It really shows in his early blog posts. And apparently this whole "show both sides" thing is indeed new, as almost a year ago he was allowing Jim Pinkoski's nonsense space on his site - and even defending it - which is simply incompatible with any sort of scientific explanation. I mean, given what Pinkoski says, were John's earlier example to follow it, it would have read like this:
Imagine in the display a T-Rex fossil. A place card on the right side would read: Creation-This 14 foot giant reptile was destroyed by the Genesis flood 4500 years ago. On the left side: Scientists are lying scumbags who want to drag you away from God, so it doesn't matter what they say.
Has John actually changed in the last eleven months, to see Pinkoski's logic-free venom for what it really was, or is he just hiding his approval of it, and thus lying for Jesus?

John, if you're still reading, don't forget that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  14:08:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:
Originally posted by Bibleland

PS Here is one more reason I'm so impressed in a Creator.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxSLw1LMvgk#4KWJBnw1YX0

Yeah, John Liebler did a great job creating that computer animation.

In any case, that you threw this out as some sort of proof of a creator suggests that you really aren't interesting in hearing our point of view. Dave put forward a thoughtful post about some of your assumptions and yet you clearly haven't bothered to consider any of them, or even to respond in any meaningful way.

So what's your point in even venturing here, Bibleland? You don't care what we have to say, and your best arguments for creation and design are your own personal incredulity.

(And BTW, I bet your wife rolls her eyes when you marvel at 'giant' humans, 'ancient technology' and 'intelligent design')

My guess as to why he is here is actually a couple of things. The first, most cynical and obvious to me is that he is here to get to know his foe. Every strategist ever has agreed that you need to know your "enemy", whether it be in battle, business, or sport. By coming here and soliciting feedback, he learns our arguments and methods of presenting them. This can only help him strengthen his own through preparation.

Another guess is more kind, and says that he is genuinely interested in feedback from us as well as those who agree with him.

Either way, it helps him make his site more "bullet proof" than it was.

Just guessing though. And there may be other reasons as well.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:24:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McQ
That's a very sugar-coated description, isn't it?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:28:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bibleland(bolding mine)

Well I guess you are right. I wanted "teeth" and I got them. Thank you all for sharing please keep going if you like I'll keep monitoring and now back to my lab.

You have a lab?

Assuming you're not talking about your favourite dog breed, I'd love to hear about what hypotheses you're positing, how you're testing them, and where your results will be published. I'm already signed up to receive your general news notices and such.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 03/05/2007 15:29:39
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:44:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by McQ
That's a very sugar-coated description, isn't it?

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  19:13:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

John, please understand that what you see as hostility here may be in part caused by your lying to us up front, with stuff like that "chupacabra" cat photo, falsely labeled as being "infrared." (And I'm not even faulting you on the misidentification of the animal, just on the dishonest statement of fact concerning the photo being infrared.)

One thing that just might be correct concerning the picture of the Cat, probably a siamese or a breed derived from a siamese, it could have been taken in South Carolina. And if I am right probably in late July or August. The two plants in front and behind the cat are Sago Cycads (palms). The plant in the lower right is likely a daylily after the flowers are spent. Usually in late July or August.

Of course being a "chupacabra" makes for a more interesting story. It's wrong, but it is interesting.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  19:48:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the clear parts of the ground are covered by wood chips, implying it's someone's yard. That's the reddish-brown area which became bright red through over-saturation. (The "infrared" effect.) It may be that John Amalfi himself was conned by the lady who sent photos of her cat to him. I hope he didn't pay much for them!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  20:05:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other photo (the non-"infrared" photo) clearly shows a cat. It may be one of the hairless Sphynx cats, a breed whose existence dates back only to the 1960s, hence unfamiliar to most people. Yet John thinks it's enough to know all the indigenous life in the area, so that anything out of the ordinary becomes magical. But if that cat is a chupacabra, then I'm sure John would think that an escaped boa constrictor is Oroborus.

I especially liked the prior blog entry where the guy takes the dead thing to the scientists, who tell him it's probably a disfigured fox with mange. John has no doubt that the local boys are right. After all, they obviously know that no disfigured foxes ever "hop." They must be so in tune with what's "in their own backyards" that we may as well hand them veterinary degrees, right John?

What does chupacabra have to do with spreading the Gospel? Nothing at all. John thinks the latter is a life-or-death issue, though, so be kind to him, despite his wasting his time and his immortal soul on goatsuckers.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  20:50:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm starting to think that poor John may be more a dupe than a con-man. He seems to be a guy who, like my brother, is fascinated with all things magical (except, unlike my brother, who is a Buddhist, John is a Christian fundy). Like my brother, he repeats and displays his collection of nonsense without critical examination, sometimes being careful to leave out contradictory details. The less likely something is, the more it fascinates him, and the more he wants to believe, and repeat, it. (Some of this is guesswork, but I think I'm beginning to see a familiar pattern.)

It's very hard to tell deliberate liars from those who are willfully credulous themselves. But the important thing is, anyone who spreads lies is effectively a liar, and should not take undue offense when being called one.

Go to Top of Page

Bibleland
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  15:28:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bibleland's Homepage Send Bibleland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monitored, read, thinking...thanks all.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  07:09:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noted with some interest the bones on your site which are labeled "Central New York Chalupa Bones".

I am from central New York and spend quite a bit of times in the out doors and I have never seen a caballero. I have seen mink, coyotes, deer, bear and even a bobcat. I have also seen racoons. I can tell you with about 95% certainy that the cocarocha skeleton is actually a racoon. You can even tell that it was a relatively young racoon because the sagital crest is not pronounced.

Displaying bones that are obviously from a racoon and calling them a cacadetorro skeleton makes you look very silly.

If you disagree with my assesment and you are actually purchasing these things, I must tell you I have a skull that I found and that I have probably misidentified as a VERY large black bear. Would you be interested in buying it for you chingase collection (it is much more impressive than a racoon skull)?

edited for spelling

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Edited by - furshur on 03/08/2007 11:46:09
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  11:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive, if you will, the digression. Some of your wordplay, furshur, reminded me of what a Peruvian immigrant I used to work with told me. Peru and Bolivia share Lake Titicaca. My coworker told me that Peruvians like to joke that while Peru got the Titi, Bolivia got the Caca.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/08/2007 15:43:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.