Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 3

ejdalise
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  12:44:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ejdalise's Homepage Send ejdalise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted for other . . . mainly thinking of a popular theme in some scifi where personalities can be transferred to computers, essentially becoming an operating system - but retaining the individual's memories and self-awareness.

There are certain things implied by this, namely that the influence of chemical and hormonal imbalances would be removed from our reasoning process. There might remain a vestigial memory of moods, emotions, wants, desires, etc. but I would imagine it would fade over time, leaving . . .

. . . hard to describe. Something whose characteristics I confess aspiring to (at least in part), even as I have trouble defining just what those would be. Certainly logic would be central to its existence. Also the absence of fear, doubt, insecurities, and hemorrhoids.

Of course, I would mourn the loss of love, the loss of tactile feedback, the loss of caring for something despite a lack of defensible reasons (wait - that's the same as love), the lack of smell (pine trees in the mountain air), taste (salami and cheese panini). Perhaps all these things could be reproduced in other ways, as sight and hearing now can. But just as sight and hearing, the reproduction would not be the same.

Still, I can imagine as one approaches the end of life the choice to continue in some capacity might be attractive to some (yes, I'm one of them). It could also be a beneficial to society to have incorporeal volunteers for manning space probes, deep sea bathyscaphe, and even planes, trains, and buses. The one advantage is the ability to continue learning, and greater still to do hold the power to end one's self (a quick reformat, or overwrite). Perhaps there could even be the opportunity of a reboot, or a reinstall.

Scary, yes, but also intriguing. I wonder if belief systems would emerge, prompting great debates as to the existence of Lynux.

However, my next choice would be FTL . . . I'd like to get the heck away from this rock as fast as I could.

--- Disperser ---
Winning enemies and aggravating friends since 1953
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  14:11:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being a wushu/kung fu afficionado, I just had to vote "other" and go for the "no touch KOs" as promoted by George Dillman and his stooges.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds.