At the forefront?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  21:25:08  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who has done the most to foster and forward the skeptical "movement?"

Choices:
Carl Sagan
James Randi
Michael Shermer
Harry Houdini
Derek and Swoopy
Penn and Teller
Robert Carroll
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

ejdalise
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  22:06:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ejdalise's Homepage Send ejdalise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a personal level, a number of authors through my formative years. Some I don't even remember, as they wrote adventure stories for a younger audience.

Later in life I owuld have to say Heinlein . . . weird views, but he made you think.

By the time Sagan came around I was already a flaming atheist/skeptic.

Houdini was a little before my time. Randi is probably the most visible current personage. By visible I mean known outside the skeptical circles. Even then, I don't know how much impact he (or any other skeptic figure) has on the population at large.

--- Disperser ---
Winning enemies and aggravating friends since 1953
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  22:29:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  22:43:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, damn good question. I would say Sagan got the ball rolling for me, but I would guess most people tend to think of him more as a promoter of science than of skepticism per se. In my mind, Richard Feynman played a smiliar role, though without a TV show as a vehicle.

Penn and Teller's show Bullshit has easily done more to promote skepticism to more people recently, but I believe they give a great deal of credit to Randi for exposing them to skepticism initially. Randi's debunking of Uri Geller on The Tonight Show is one of the best and most well-remembered examples of skepticism ever displayed.

But where would Randi be without that other, older magician Houdini, who dedicated the later part of his life to debunking mediums, psychics, spiritualists and other frauds?

Damn good choices all around, but I think I'll have to go with Randi, who I think has done more to promote skepticism as a movement than the others. I believe his long-standing paranormal challenge and creation of the James Randi Educational Foundation are a legacy that will continue to win hearts and minds around the world to skepticism for many years to come.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/21/2007 22:45:05
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  00:46:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hesitantly picked Randi over Sagan simply because, as H.H. mentioned, Carl was more science popularizer than skeptic, in his focus. But I'm not upset that Sagan's taken the early lead. He's up there somewhere, shooting a fist into the air, and saying, "Yes-sss!"

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/22/2007 01:11:09
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  02:58:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randi's doing a great job debunking people. Sagan has done the most (from the list) taking science to the people. He has his famous quote about extra-ordinary claims. But Shermer, in my experience which is what I am going by, has done more to confront woo in a variety of different areas and has become a public spokesperson specifically about the skeptic philosophy.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  03:29:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with Houdini. He was skeptical back when skeptical wasn't cool (it still isn't, but you know what I mean) and even arrainged to test for his own ghost upon his death.
quote:
Fearing spiritualists would exploit his legacy by pretending to contact him after his death, Houdini left his wife a secret code — ten words chosen at random from a letter written by Doyle — that he would use to contact her from the afterlife. His wife held yearly séances on Halloween for ten years after his death, but Houdini never appeared. In 1936, after a last unsuccessful séance on the roof of the Knickerbocker Hotel, she put out the candle that she had kept burning beside a photograph of Houdini since his death, later (1943) saying "ten years is long enough to wait for any man." The tradition of holding a séance for Houdini continues to this day, and is currently organized by Sidney H. Radner.[4]

Tough one.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  12:59:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All good choices, and no easy decision to choose among them.

After some deliberation I have to select Sagan. Demon Haunted World is a great book, and provides the basic tools for people to be able to think critically about the world around them.

But all the names on the list are, imo, admirable skeptics.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  15:23:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I went with Sagan - he's by far the most popular over here (after Houdini, but I doubt many people over here know about his skeptical side). Randi sometimes makes to the news over here, but I blame Sagan for my presence in this forum, hands down, no question.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  18:03:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with Randi. Mainly because his way of presenting what he does is so great. But perhaps I am biased, because he is the first skeptic I saw on TV in the Netherlands.

Although I must say that the one who really made turned me in the direction of skepticism was Erich von Daniken. When I was fourteen or so I read three of his books and was fascinated. But it was so far off that I really wanted to get my hands on a book that told me what all those deluded scientists were saying. Luckily, the library provided . In the same way, the creationist movement drove me from the latent skepticism caused by von Daniken to the more ardent skeptic I am now.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  21:09:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went with Randi.

Toyed with the idea of suggesting Ambrose Bierce.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  02:26:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Sagan as well, as he was a primary influence upon my thinking at an important time. He was what was called a wet-skeptic, and honestly, when it comes down to it, that's the way to be.

Randi has a wonderful, ingenious gimmick, but I can't select him over Sagan for that alone.

Shermer is too busy trying to turn skepticism into religion (sorry, I'm one of them philosophical skeptics, and yes my metaphysical cloud chamber is doing just fine, thinks. I can handle meta-levels of skepticism, even if others can't).

I'm thinking the likes of Derek and Swoopy may be the future. Not yet, though.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Edited by - dglas on 03/23/2007 02:28:30
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  04:34:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Went with Randi.

Toyed with the idea of suggesting Ambrose Bierce.

I too, thought of "Bitter" Bierce, who has long been a literary favorite of mine. The Devil's Dictionary is beyond compare. But I think I'd call him a cynic as much as a skeptic. Nothing wrong with that, o'course -- be a skeptic long enough and anybody'd turn a little cynical.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  16:41:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Primarily a cynic though he was (and I abhor cynicism on principle), Bierce was such a fine writer and humorist that it's almost impossible to not to like him or his wonderful The Devil's Dictionary.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.