Krispy Kreme's Whole Wheat Donut of Death
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 2

cactusmush

21 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:31:40  Show Profile Send cactusmush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see our favorite purveyers of glutonious gooie sugar bombs are producing a whole-wheat version of their donut. The crack cocaine of fast food is going organic.

http://www.thestar.com/Health/article/189876

3.5 grams of Transfat in the Whole Wheat version, so no one should get too excited. You can still commit nutritional suicide with these whole wheat puppies, since its like jumping from the 19th floor...instead of the 20th floor.

Ofcourse, some of those who bought Krispy Kreme stock at over $60 bucks a share maybe want to end it all anyhow....

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:46:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't care if the injected lipitor in it. I'm not gonna eat it.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  01:58:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never saw the attraction to Krispy Cremes. They weren't even better than regular donuts, let alone a whole lot better. But I would eat them.....mmmmm donuts

Go to Top of Page

cactusmush

21 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  03:04:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cactusmush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I never saw the attraction to Krispy Cremes. They weren't even better than regular donuts, let alone a whole lot better. But I would eat them.....mmmmm donuts

I could amd would eat anything when I was younger and did eat donuts. I even remember drinking "coffee" from the vending machines at University. But these days I have to abstain from the "hard-core" junk foods like Donuts and such.

Also...not like they need my sympathy but...I am not really into anti-corporate dogma. I'll enjoy a Starbucks coffee any day and I think SUBWAY is ok food because one can choose what to put on the sub. As all consumers do...I use personal choice to direct myself away from what I don't like.

All evidence points to trans-fats being a really nasty item in our foodchain and not an overly vital item at that. I got a cynical kick out of someone coming up with a "whole wheat" donut.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  06:24:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Way back in my college days, before KK was a national phenomena, there was one in Atlanta that was open all night. You could see the production line from the counter, which was kind of neat. And when you got your donut (OK, your dozen donuts), they were fresh and hot right off the line. Like eating sugar coated air. Mmmmmmmm is right.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  06:39:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a KK about .2 miles from where I live. They smell awesome when I'm driving to work.

However, I have enough problems trying to keep my girlish figure in check, so I ban myself from them.

I do remember as a very young boy the KK that used to be near my grandmother's house when I would go stay. They were good eatin'!

Everyone here scoffs at Dunkin Donuts...KK is considered superior here in Mobile, AL (there are no Dunkin Donuts that I'm aware of in this city and probably never will be).

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 03/10/2007 06:39:52
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  08:27:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there are Krispy Kremes here, but I never ate them...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  10:45:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember when they hit Seattle, people where lining up for blocks to get them. I never understoud what they where excited about. A donut is a donut to me. Then I had one, and I had never tasted a worse donut in my life.

Needless to say, I advoid them at company staff meetings when I can.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  11:24:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

quote:

Way back in my college days, before KK was a national phenomena, there was one in Atlanta that was open all night. You could see the production line from the counter, which was kind of neat. And when you got your donut (OK, your dozen donuts), they were fresh and hot right off the line. Like eating sugar coated air. Mmmmmmmm is right.

When I was a kid (early '50s), there was one a little less than a block from my school in Atlanta. They were two for a nickle and as stated, hot out of the fat -- the best donuts ever.

Kinda funny; since then, I've seldom gone out of my way to get donuts. Don't really care much for them.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  11:34:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filthy:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was a kid (early '50s), there was one a little less than a block from my school in Atlanta. They were two for a nickle and as stated, hot out of the fat -- the best donuts ever.

Kinda funny; since then, I've seldom gone out of my way to get donuts. Don't really care much for them.

Was that the KK on Ponce de Leon about a mile or so east of Peachtree?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  13:35:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's funny. I visited Atlanta last year on business, and learned that there are about 17,000 different Peachtree roads, lanes, streets, avenues, etc. in that city and its suburbs. It's probably impossible for a donut shop not to be within a mile of some Peachtree or other.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  15:33:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:

quote:

That's funny. I visited Atlanta last year on business, and learned that there are about 17,000 different Peachtree roads, lanes, streets, avenues, etc. in that city and its suburbs. It's probably impossible for a donut shop not to be within a mile of some Peachtree or other.

Yeah, every other street seems to be Peachtree something or other. And in many parts of the city, no road can go in a straight line for more than a quarter mile. And all one-way streets downtown are going the wrong way. I was referring, however, to the main Peachtree Street, where one can find the beautiful Fox Theater, one of those restored 1920s theaters that we have far too few of. If you're ever in Atlanta again, find an excuse to see a show there. Then head about a mile east on Ponce for a donut or six.

T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  01:48:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as long as we are on donut stories, one of my first jobs was making donuts for Winchell's. Bakers have a trick of breaking a donut or two then of course you have to eat that one since you can't sell it. Those donuts were so good, it's probably why KK's never seemed all that incredible to me.

Funny story, at the time anyway. I had a VW squareback which has the gas cap in the trunk which is also under the hood, engine is in the back under the cargo area. My boss was a penny pincher and we were supposed to mix the leftover dough from the previous day into the new dough. But there was this baker that would always leave waaaay too much dough and it would ruin the donuts.

One day there was just too much dough leftover, so I sneaked it out in a box and put it in my trunk (which is in the front). But I forgot it was there. And dough will continue to rise especially in the heat of a trunk in Southern California.

And in those days attendants still filled the tank for most people. So I pulled up the the pump, popped the hood, then realized when I saw the attendant staring in the trunk that the dough was still there. It was like 'flubber'. It had expanded out of the box and was in a very big blob in the middle of the trunk. Of course he continued to stare as my boyfriend and I cleaned up the mess and threw all it in the station trash cans. We filled up and drove off laughing at how it must have looked to the station attendant.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  04:14:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by filthy:

quote:

quote:

It was near Henry Grady High School, and I've forgotten the street -- Piedmont Park was across the street from the school. It was one of the few things I missed when I took off for FL.

A cold KK donut just isn't the same as a still-warm one.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  05:34:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cactusmush

Ofcourse, some of those who bought Krispy Kreme stock at over $60 bucks a share maybe want to end it all anyhow....

Being opposite from my wife on many things KK is just another. She loves them while for me they would be an effective form of torture if forced to eat another.

Back in '99 or 2000, could have been later, my wife wanted to buy their stock. I did a quick look and their pe was 105 or something even more ridiculous. Well I drug my feet on this purchase long enough that she gave up. Happily I never threw any money down that donut hole.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

cactusmush

21 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:15:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cactusmush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dough in trunk of VW - Good story

KK stock price peaks - parody meets reality

parody itself - http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29173

KK line up stories. According to local urban legend, the 1st KK in Eastern Canada (Mississauga, Ont.) had a 24 hr line-up that lasted months on end. Cops were needed to direct traffic around it. The fad lasted a year or a bit more until the low-carb movement kicked in. The operating company for the non-Western Canada KK's eventually folded and some of the KK's in Eastern Canada have vanished.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.