Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  17:14:44  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first sacrificial scapegoat in the growing Bush scandal about the firings of eight US Attorneys was Kyle Sampson, Alberto Gonzales' Chief of Staff. He's supposedly the person who coordinated the firings, himself now fired. The Subject line of this post comes from Sampson:
quote:
In one e-mail, Sampson wrote that the "vast majority of U.S. Attorneys, 80-85 percent, I would guess, are doing a great job, are loyal Bushies, etc."
Now, an attempt to pin the whole idea for the firings on Harriet Meiers has failed in the light of emails showing Gonzales and Rove discussed the issue even before the former became Attorney General. And suddenly recollections that had put the idea on Meiers have become vague, according to White House spokesman, Tony Snow:
quote:
"At this juncture, people have hazy memories," he said. "The thing we can say with assurance is Karl [Rove] recalling she raised it."
With allegations that some of the firings were intended to disrupt investigations of Bush friends, and that others were in retaliation for not prosecuting Democratic political enemies upon demand, this whole US Attorney issue seems to be growing in intensity, with the worst kind of corrupt stink. Gonzales' days as AG are drawing to an end (he'll be the next sacrifice), but clearly the push for the firings came from the top.

The White House is delaying an answer about whether it will allow Rove and Meiers to testify before a House committee, or to hand over papers about the case. So committee members are planning to replace the invitations with subpoenas.

At least we now have a good term for these bastards, from one of their own: "Bushies."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  17:44:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner...

The White House is delaying an answer about whether it will allow Rove and Meiers to testify before a House committee, or to hand over papers about the case. So committee members are planning to replace the invitations with subpoenas.
Can you say, "executive privilege?"
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  01:34:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you say, good grief, another scandal!

Gonzales lied too fast and got caught making up BS to cover things up. That means he knew there was something that needed covering up. It was his underling..."But sir, we have evidence it was you"..."uh..er..it was legal, they serve at the pleasure of the President..uh...Clinton did it."

And Bush, same crap "Well it wasn't wrong it was just communicated poorly".

This was on the news all day and in between I was watching the Plame oversight hearing.

It's unbelievable.

Election fraud
Asleep at the wheel before 911
On vacation on 911
Lying us into a war
Horrible execution of the war
Saturating the government with faith based payouts
Appointing Meiers to the Supreme Court
Katrina
Cronies
Corruption
Torture
So long Habeas Corpus
Walter Reed
Wilson/Plame
Illegal wiretaps

It's truly incomprehensible.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/17/2007 01:42:23
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  02:24:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally real news is breaking through the corporate walls? The end is nigh!

Any other President would be impeached for much, much less (as Clinton was). Thanks for the summary, Be. I needed that, as it's truly hard to remember all that crap.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/17/2007 02:26:45
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  04:17:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bush effectively slit his own throat the day he decided to drop bin Laden and go off on his pointless Iraq adventure. It's just taken him a few years to bleed out. This 'prosecutor purge' is another arterial gush of mendacity and incompetence, fortelling his ultimate end.

If he is not impeached and removed from office, could he still be prosecuted for anything? Could he be called to account for the unwarranted invasion of a sovereign nation? Or mollycoddling corporate thugs? Or violating the Constitution by undermining church/state independence?

I dunno. I'd surely like to see it...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  05:00:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  10:28:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YO: After looking over this thread, here's my two cents worth.
To Beskeptigal: Always doing her homework and in the pocket.

To GeeMack: Uh, Gee, Mack, can YOU say executive stupid?

OY, yet again.

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Carmichael

5 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  15:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Carmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be surprised if Bush gets impeached. The Third Way is the corporate group bent on keeping the democrats supplying them with more money and power. I can't see it happen, but I'd like to.

And if I can make myself strong, then I will be somebody.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  05:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carmichael

I will be surprised if Bush gets impeached. The Third Way is the corporate group bent on keeping the democrats supplying them with more money and power. I can't see it happen, but I'd like to.

I do think it's quite possible. These things often look unlikely just up to the point that they happen. What tends to happen is that outrages and dissatisfaction build slowly until a tipping point is reached, then the dynamic changes radically. I think of it as a sort of political punctuated equilibrium. (I'd suggested well in advance to scoffers here that such a thing would happen in the recent congressional elections, some will recall.) The balloon inflates slowly, but bursts suddenly. The proof will be in the pudding.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  05:35:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I agree whole-heartedly with the reasons why Bush should be impeached, and it would bring a great deal of emotional satisfaction, I can't eagerly promote it. I wouldn't oppose it, but I won't promote it because impeaching him will not turn back the clock and undo all the shit he's majorly fucked up. I want the Dems to grow some balls, but I also want them to grow a few brain cells - the kind that are most useful in forming effective political strategy - and then use their growing power to neutralize the rest of the Bush presidency, start to tackle and pump up support for much more important and impending problems than terrorism. Let's start throwing our money and political emphasis on things such as health care, good jobs, and education.

The other problem with impeachment is that is always comes with at least some backlash. I would be pretty damn bummed if the only major thing the Dems do with this bit of power they finally have back is impeach Bush.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  08:18:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.. You are aware the Clinton administraton fired 93 prosecutors and that did
not cause any ripple in the water. Not that it matters anymore. BTW (I voted for
Clinton)

The Democrats are smart. They won't do anything to impeach Bush or try to remove him.
The political back lash would be intense. If they are smart, they'll attack the policies
with a death by a thousand cuts approach.

Be honest with yourselves, do you guys really really want, President Dick Cheney and Vice Pres Karl Rove?
If you believe that the "idiot" could wreak that much havoc in 6 years, just think what
those guys could do in 2 years.

Only 22 more months
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  11:49:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

While I agree whole-heartedly with the reasons why Bush should be impeached, and it would bring a great deal of emotional satisfaction, I can't eagerly promote it.
I want the Dems to grow some balls, but I also want them to grow a few brain cells - the kind that are most useful in forming effective political strategy - and then use their growing power to neutralize the rest of the Bush presidency, start to tackle and pump up support for much more important and impending problems than terrorism.
I see no reason why these two points should be mutually exclusive.
Bush should face justice as the criminal he is.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:40:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they prosecute Bush, then they'll have to prosecute a lot of other people who helped him with his crimes, they'll have to prosecute all other living presidents, and those who supported them, as they've all done what he did, he was just more arrogant about it. If they themselves were elected president, then they'd have to watch how they behave.

It's just not worth it to them.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:42:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If he is not impeached and removed from office, could he still be prosecuted for anything? Could he be called to account for the unwarranted invasion of a sovereign nation? Or mollycoddling corporate thugs? Or violating the Constitution by undermining church/state independence?

I dunno. I'd surely like to see it...

I remember reading that it's one of those things that is theoretically possible, but since it's never been done, it isn't likely that it would ever happen. I'll try looking for that again.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:54:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mab
Bush should face justice as the criminal he is.

Impeachment is an arduous process that requires lots of time and resources. The time would be better served at this point, with only 22 months left of the Bush presidency, to make him as lame a duck as possible without looking (overly) vindictive.

I would love to see the bastard impeached. But I think it would not serve us right now to put the energy there.

Criminal investigations and criminal charges can be brought up after his presidency. Though I doubt that will happen. But I would be for it… It's not likely that he will have a Gerald Ford to pardon him. Well, on second thought, I dunno…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:29:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impeachment would also require a desire to serve the people, rather than the 1 percent that Congress works for.

They could stand to let 2/3 of the people who are in prison out, and focus their resources on the people who do the most damage, like Clinton and Bush.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.