Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:38:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
For anyone who's completely lost in all this, here is the backstory:Unfortunately, a good summary of it all would take a lot of time to write.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:47:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mozina

quote:
Michael really really really wants all this talk of "current" to mean big sparks like lightning. It's the only way for his resistive heating idea to get anywhere close to the observed temperatures in the corona.
Yes, and it's the only way to explain those temperatures inside of coronal loops in the atmosphere of the sun, *PERIOD*. That's why I accept the role of electron flow Dave, even though you keep trying to sweep it under the carpet. I'm sorry Dave, but those coronal loops stick out like giant sore thumb, and your denial of the role of electron flow isn't making them go away.
I accept the role of electron flow, too, Michael, I just don't see any evidence for huge lightning bolts. The coronal loops don't look anything like a dielectric breakdown between charges (there's no dielectric in the plasma to breakdown - plasmas are excellent conductors). And given the electron density and resistivity of the plasmas, only a few watts of heat would be generated resistively, anyway. We've been through those calculations already, and despite my using values which would work in your favor, the result was pitiful, and you handwaved it away. Or don't you remember?

Michael's Unanswered Questions List:
  • I'd really like to hear how you rationalize being a reasonable person while you extended a single comment I made about Bruce to both Birkeland and Alfven, whom I dealt with separately.
  • Are you saying that solar scientists would ignore the fact that magnetic fields don't stop for no reason?
  • Supply a reference for Alfven's theory predicting million-degree temperatures in the Sun's corona.
  • Have you calculated how much time it took for that field loop seen by Hinode to "collapse" once the "current" was "cut off," Michael?
  • What it is about the generation of gamma rays that requires the flow of electrical current?
  • How well do the emissions detected by Rhessi on Earth and the Sun match in chronology and relative magnitude?
  • How have you measured the accuracy of the prediction that gamma- and X-rays should be seen in the Sun's corona?
  • What else does the "electric Sun" theory "accurately predict?"
  • Why do you think Alfven was correct?
  • How the hell was Birkeland able to create a "plasma atmosphere surrounded by a vacuum?"
  • On what page numbers does Birkeland record "sparks," "tornado like structures," and "high energy discharges?"
  • Where is the evidence for "Current that runs through the plasma threads of space generates those magnetic fields just like Alfven predicted."
  • What sort of evidence should I provide to demonstrate "we don't know?"
  • Why do lightning bolts generate gamma rays?
  • Why are gamma rays detected in the Sun's corona?
  • Weren't you banned on BAUT forums?
  • Does Alfven explain why he thinks x-rays in a Skylab photo are "likely caused by "electrical discharges?"
  • Why is it that magnetic field lines "cannot make and break connections?"
  • Why don't you define "electrical current" for us?
  • Hey, Michael, are you 'ManInTheMirror' over at the BAUT forum?
  • Why don't you explain why Kosovichev is wrong, or why you're both correct if you switch underlying assumptions?
  • Kosovichev measured dozens of tiny density differences in the experiment from which you hijacked a couple of numbers for your allegedly solid layer's depth, but all you can do in the diagrams you posted is suggest the existence of a single one?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Mozina
SFN Regular

1647 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:55:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Michael Mozina's Homepage Send Michael Mozina a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
There is no distinction.

Yes there is a "distinction" Dave. Give me a break. Both moving ions and electrons will create magnetic fields, but there is a distinct difference in they way electrical discharges behave in plasma and how it behaves just convecting around by heat alone. Those million degree loops cannot be "electron free". In fact they have to be suspended by the electron flow.

What Dave isn't mentioning is that fact that the surface of the photosphere is "boiling" like you might watch hot milk boil. By itself, it is completely incapable of creating enough *aligned* currents in that boiling motion to do anything like what we observe in the corona. That requires electron flow.

quote:
If you have moving charged particles, you've got what is technically an electrical current.

"Technically" in the sense that you might expect to see magnetic fields, sure. "Technically" as in raising the temperature to millions of degrees by convection alone, forget it. If that were the case, why isn't the whole temp of the photosphere a million degrees?

Cune, he's hiding the energy source with smoke and mirrors.

quote:
Electrical currents generate magnetic fields. And moving magnetic fields can make charged particles move (inducing a current).

Either way you look at it Dave, you're going to need a *huge* current flow to explain those loops. You have kinetic energy, magnetism and electron flow to work with, and you can't have any one of them without the other two in light plasma like we find in the corona.

quote:
Michael, however, is focused on the word "discharge." In lightning, a huge build-up of charge occurs within a cloud until the point that the charge breaks down air's insulating properties, and a giant "spark" occurs.

Note here that we have many examples of this right here on earth. No "magic magnetic fields" are required to explain million degree plasma. When does that Occum's razor argument apply Dave?

quote:
That huge current is a "discharge" of the charge in the cloud. Michael wants us to think that all of the activity we see in the Sun's corona is due to discharges of built-up electrical potential. Really huge sparks.

Yep.

quote:
But the modern theory is that about 200,000 km beneath the Sun's photosphere, there's an area where the radiant transport of heat from the core switches over to convective transport.

Note that this magnetic field is created by moving "current" as Dave described the idea of moving ions. Note also that the source of the magnetic field is presumed to be 200,000 KM away. Why does it affect plasma that far away and how does it do that?

quote:
This switch-over causes large differences in how the plasma above and below behave, and those differences plus the rotation of the Sun itself give rise to large amounts of "shear" between the two "sets" of plasmas. In effect, you've got two groups of charged particles moving in opposite directions relative to each other, which leads to a "dynamo" effect generating - in the Sun's case - a massive magnetic field.

Ya, but Dave, it's over 200,000 KM away! Why does it create coronal loops 200,000 away, and how in the hell does it do that without electron flow?

quote:
And if the Sun's plasmas were all perfectly homogeneous, the magnetic field we would see would be "flat" and stable. But the plasmas aren't perfectly homogeneous - some parts are denser than others, or contain a charge imbalance - and those imperfections, over time, give rise to even more mammoth magnetic-field loops which rise up from the dynamo, spanning upwards of 300,000 km. These magnetic field loops move through the plasma, causing all sorts of electrical currents (without discharges), and those currents in turn cause magnetic fields, which induce other currents, and so on.

Electric currents without discharges? How *exactly* (be specific) does that magnetic fields 200,000 away "rise up" from the dynamo? What creates the million degree "loops" in the atmosphere, and why there rather than 100,000KM below the surface of the photosphere?

quote:
Michael appears to be fixated upon "discharges" only because Birkeland (sort of) and Bruce described things that way. (Whether Alfven did or not will have to wait.) He's just taken decades-old descriptions of weak hypotheses about the Sun and run with them, ignoring what actual solar scientists are doing today and why.

I am fixated on discharges (electron flow) because that is the only way you will every heat plasma to 1 million degrees. Period. Dave keeps trying to make everything he doesn't understand a "magnetic" issue. It's not. You can't claim that the Earth's magnetic fields interact with the moving air at the surface to create "million degree lines in the sky". That's not how it works! The sun's magnetic field is like the earth's magnetic field. It is completely incapable of doing squat at is relates to heating plasma to millions of degrees in the absence of current flow.
Edited by - Michael Mozina on 04/05/2007 12:57:09
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  13:01:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I'm locking this thread due to its length.

Please continue this discussion in the new thread.
Thanks.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.