The benefits of self-delusion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  09:51:40  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Randi's site, self-delusion results in a $5,000 gift.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  11:20:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The truth hurts.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  12:10:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is hilarious! The way the "Master's" students played along with this guy's self delusions was rich. But the guy's not entirely a deliberate flim-flammer, as he seems to have come to believe in his own magical powers. This is evidenced by the fact he'd actually allow himself to be taken on by an outside challenger -- and by that wonderful scene where he's rubbing his punched nose in shock.

If Sylvia Browne were a self-deluder like this sensei, she'd have already taken -- and failed -- the Randi Challenge.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/23/2007 22:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  17:02:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

This is hilarious! The way the "Master's" students played along with this guy's self delusions was rich. But the guy's not entirely a deliberate flim-flammer, as he seems to have come to believe in his own magical powers. This is evidenced by the fact he'd actually allow himself to be taken on by an outside challenger -- and by that wonderful scene where he's rubbing his punched nose in shock.

If Sylvia Browne were a self-deluder like this sensei, she'd have already taken -- and failed -- the Randy Challenge.

You could rightfully say this guy met his equivalent of the Randi Challenge.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  17:37:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
weird...I dunno what to think really...

Martial arts is very much a religious thing though. I don't mean because it has a 'spiritual side' or anything. but because no matter what, its very hard to convince people one art is superior to theirs, no matter what evidence you present.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  17:53:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It had to be extremely gratifying to be the one to punch the delusion straight out of that guy. If only all delusions were so easily falsified.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  18:04:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, H. - and I'm sure you know this as well as I - it's highly probable that as soon as the "Master's" wounds healed, he was probably right back to doing the same old stuff, making the same old claims, with just one more fanciful rationalization about why he lost that fight.

From all the cheering after he was brutally smacked down, I'll bet "there was too much negativity in the room" was a major part of a laundry-list of excuses.

(You can stick all those verbs in the future tense if that fight happened recently. The video was uploaded to YouTube in January of this year, but that doesn't mean much.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  18:18:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Unfortunately, H. - and I'm sure you know this as well as I - it's highly probable that as soon as the "Master's" wounds healed, he was probably right back to doing the same old stuff, making the same old claims, with just one more fanciful rationalization about why he lost that fight.
Probably all too true. Bet he loses at least some of his followers, however.

quote:
From all the cheering after he was brutally smacked down, I'll bet "there was too much negativity in the room" was a major part of a laundry-list of excuses.
What good is a magical self-defense mechanism that doesn't work in the face of negativity? I mean, it's supposed to be used on enemies, people who by definition won't be thinking nice thoughts about you. Unlike most other woo-woo claims, this one is definitely easily disproven, and the consequences of failure immediately apparent.

So when's the rematch?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  05:44:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta

weird...I dunno what to think really...

Martial arts is very much a religious thing though. I don't mean because it has a 'spiritual side' or anything. but because no matter what, its very hard to convince people one art is superior to theirs, no matter what evidence you present.

It's not evidence that your opponent's art is more superior. It just means that your opponent is more proficient in his art than you are in yours.

Different arts have their own advantages in different situations. It's just as much knowing your own art, as knowing your opponets art and weaknesses, and how to manouver your opponent into the kind of situation where you will have superior skill.
Sun Tzu, and all that, you know...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  09:25:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turns out that my prediction was wrong. Ryuken (the "Kiai Master" who got the snot beat out of him), according to Gary Moro, admitted he was defeated, but blamed a heart problem for it. Moro also said,
At least he didn't mention anything about the old "tongue and toe defense."
which puzzled me until I saw this video of George Dillman, who helpfully explains that the no-touch knockdowns can be defeated via the position of one's tongue or big toes.

Moro also says that Ryuken, apparently a tenth-degree black belt in five martial arts, has retired and won't accept any more challenges.

Thanks go to Robert Carroll for both links.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  17:42:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not evidence that your opponent's art is more superior. It just means that your opponent is more proficient in his art than you are in yours.

Different arts have their own advantages in different situations. It's just as much knowing your own art, as knowing your opponets art and weaknesses, and how to manouver your opponent into the kind of situation where you will have superior skill.

I've heard that before. The fact remains that one style must be better in the widest or most likely variety of situations and therefore be superior as a method of self defense.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  18:21:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The power of suggestion only works on those trained to the suggestion.

Placebo effect is not just in relation to medicine.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  18:46:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

The power of suggestion only works on those trained to the suggestion.

Placebo effect is not just in relation to medicine.
Must... listen... to Jerome...da Gnome... poor... education makes me... too susceptible... to... suggestion....
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  18:59:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cuneiformist, come into the light.

The force is strong with this one.

On a serious note weak minds are very suggestible, also minds that were never trained to think rationally. Strong emotions are used often to achieve a desired result from people; from politics to T.V. ads.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  00:36:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Cuneiformist, come into the light.

Would that be the day-light or the night-light?

Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME (in chat 31/05/2007)

you guys are as bright as the sun at night

Back on topic though, didn't we discuss these martial arts loons in another thread?

I particularly enjoyed Master Dill(mans)'s revelation that all his years of training can be nullified by moving your tongue and/or wiggling alternate toes. Awesome.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  06:39:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Back on topic though, didn't we discuss these martial arts loons in another thread?
Discuss? Not really.
I particularly enjoyed Master Dill(mans)'s revelation that all his years of training can be nullified by moving your tongue and/or wiggling alternate toes. Awesome.
Yeah, doesn't that excuse kick ass? Wait... I guess it literally doesn't kick ass.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.