General Skepticism
 Combat Ki?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pimp
BANNED

7 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  06:29:44  Show Profile Send Pimp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello friends, I am interested in what a skeptic might think about the idea of "Combat Ki" methods to take blows?

Taking blows-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hWbIy5Fkk

Pimp vs. Karate lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtFZBTgyipQ

[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  07:00:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Won't really know until we see "Combat Ki" employed in an actual combat situation, instead of the staged demonstrations.

Don't forget about the rather famous Kiai Master fiasco (our thread about that video is over here).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  18:37:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pimp

Hello friends, I am interested in what a skeptic might think about the idea of "Combat Ki" methods to take blows?

Taking blows-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hWbIy5Fkk

Pimp vs. Karate lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtFZBTgyipQ
(link dead: "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation." - John)

[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

I have over 15 years experience of both practising and teaching various martial arts, but I'd still put my money on the laws of physics over "ki" any day of the week. Perhaps my negative "ki" stops the positive type from functioning correctly. If so, I don't see much value in the positive flavour anyway.

In the video I could see, it looks like there may well be some trickery going on. I couldn't say that it's all co-operatively staged, but my opinion would be "decidedly dodgy". A test with impartial third parties, as in the video Dave linked to, would be a better (though still far from ideal) demonstration.

I've seen some amazing displays, and there absolutely are people who have incredibly high pain tolerances, strength and speed, amongst other things. Nothing I've seen however, has made me think something supernatural is going on.

BTW. I originally mis-read the title of this thread to be "Combat Kil". Needless to say, I was somewhat disappointed.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  19:18:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty wild stuff, but as was pointed out already, I doubt any mystery ki force is protecting these guys. High pain tolerance? Yeah, most likely.

For certain one of the groin kicks was a "stunt" kick. The recipient of the kick does exactly what we were trained to do in stunt fighting (yes, really), and thrust his hips forward and upward just before the kicker's foot hit him. When you do that, the kicker ends up always just kicking you in the rump. Still stings, but it gets the boys out of the path of destruction.

Or perhaps, even after over 25 years of Sport Judo, Kendo, and Kodenkan Judo and Jujitsu, I just haven't found my ki. Although I did participate in several demonstrations similar to this one with Professor Bud Estes (Judo god ), back in the late 1970's, in which he used his chi to deflect blows and do all kinds of "amazing" things. It was a load of crap then, with all of the students pretty much allowing him to deflect their blows, and it seems to be a load of crap now.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  22:55:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I promise you that if you actually kick a living, non anasthetized man in the balls hard enough... he will react.

McQ is right on the stunt kick. The guy shifts his stuff out of the path of the kick.

As for the rest, if you know the blow is comming, and have these long seconds to prepare for it, it isn't all that hard to withstand hard blows to certain parts of the anatomy.

Just ask some combat ki guy to let you deliver an elbow to their temple or knee to the face and see how fast they tell you to get lost.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  05:07:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually they may let you do it, hell they may give you 5K to do it to them!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  21:31:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Actually they may let you do it, hell they may give you 5K to do it to them!

If they were truly convinced they could protect themselves with magic.... you may be right.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds.