Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  07:00:34  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone wants to exhume Harry Houdini's remains because they beleive he may have been poisoned by angry Spiritualists including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Apparently an autopsy was never done after his death.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  08:26:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my, yes, I read about that.

As I recall, Houdini died from a ruptured appendix, but diagnosis in those days are not what they are today.

On the other hand, it seems unlikely that he was murdered and certainly not by Conan-Doyle. "Yer gonna get yer comeuppance!" is scarcely a threat.

Oh, what the hell; let's dig him up. Harry's not gonna care and it might be good for a laugh.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  14:05:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if he isn't there when they dig him up? That would be cool. The ultimate escape act.

* Instead they find a old Edison wax cylinder. They place it in a museum Edison phonograph and play it. Out comes a scratchy recording of a theater orchestra playing: "Ta Dah!"
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  21:32:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What if he isn't there when they dig him up? That would be cool. The ultimate escape act.

Ya know, that is exactly what I thought when I first read about this. They open the casket and there is no body....

That would be awesome.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  04:16:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:

Ya know, that is exactly what I thought when I first read about this. They open the casket and there is no body....

That would be awesome.

We could found a new relgion.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  08:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We could found a new relgion

I call God!

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:29:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not joining this religion unless there is pie.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:40:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Im not joining this religion unless there is pie.

Yes, BigPapaSmurf, there is pie. It exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Pie. It would be as dreary as if there were no BigPapaSmurfs.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:53:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not so sure. What we view as 'Pie' may not be considered Pie to someone from a different culture or time period. What I'm trying to say is that Pie is subjective. There may be no absolutes in terms of Pie at all, Pie may merely be an invention of society.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  14:38:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PIE IS AN INSTRUMENT OF THE DEVIL!!!

REPENT YOUR EVIL PIE WORSHIPPING WAYS!!

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY PEANUT BUTTER CUP!!!!!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  14:44:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man is born with an inate love of pie, proving that a pie created us to love it.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  14:54:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Man is born with an inate love of pie, proving that a pie created us to love it.

Then why are there so many different pies? How do you know which pie to worship? What if you choose the wrong pie?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  15:01:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Then why are there so many different pies? How do you know which pie to worship? What if you choose the wrong pie?

Thou shalt have only one pie before you.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  15:08:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

quote:

Thou shalt have only one pie before you.

Thou shalt know the true pie by its fruits. Specifically strawberries.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  15:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, cherry is the true fruit. Follow the Cherry Pie!!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  15:39:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BEHOLD!! SEE HOW THE DARK ONE USES THE EVIL PIE TO SOW THE SEEDS OF DISCORD AMONGST YOU??!! REPENT NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!

T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.