New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Einstein2
SockPuppet

1 Post

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  12:04:32  Show Profile Send Einstein2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Removed Image

Kil

Look at the point where shadow lines join. The sun should be there.
This is an incredible fake image of Saturn, like all the other ones.

Thank you for the attention.

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  12:06:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey bigbrain, how ya doin? Still leading the fight against mental health, I see.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  14:10:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Look at the shadow of Shemp's hat, the Sun is directly above yet his face is lit! How can that be??!!
Thank you for the attention.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  14:38:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chipppewa, your image has two suns. That's an incredibly fake image!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  15:01:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The faked moon landing conspiracy "theory" is absurd, but at least I can understand the rationale: That a real landing was too difficult, and the US needed the propaganda value back in the Cold War.

But this one baffles me. What does the REAL planet Saturn have to hide that requires fake photos?

Also, Shempawa and Randy, thanks for that revelation! Were ALL the Three Stooges movies faked in a sound studio?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  15:07:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The photo of Shemp was obviously taken on or about the same day as this photo of the Peoria, Illinois skyline.

It seems that on rare occasions there actually are two suns. Usually one cannot see the second sun because when looking directly at the suns, the brighter one obscures the view of the dimmer one. However, at just about sunset on those rare days when there are in fact two suns, you can plainly notice both of them. Of course the usual precautions about staring into the sun apply.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  15:26:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well binary systems are more common throughout the galaxy. The previous posts prove my theory that Shemp came from another planet, (or from Peoria.) He was almost as comical as his "brother" Moe, but have you ever noticed that he couldn't mimic the Curly "Woo-woo-woo" and could only manage a "Eee-bee-bee-bee". Yes. "Eee-bee-bee-bee" = "Woo-woo-woo" on Shemp's world! (Or in Peoria on certain years.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  15:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then there are these factoids I'd posted:
quote:
Factoids: Five things you should know about the Sun

1. It's very hot. Handle only with barbeque tongs and oven mitts.

2. Don't stare at it! It's easy offended.

3. Though it looks the same size as the Moon (about one half of a degree, or the width of your thumb at arm's length), the Sun is actually quite tiny in comparison. It makes up for this by being very close to earth. In fact, it's close enough to burn that extended thumb, so be careful!

4. The Sun is almost never visible at night, because of the glare of the Moon. Only when the Moon passes behind it, can the Sun be seen at night. Those occasions are known as "Blue Suns."

The Sun begins to transit the Moon.
During a Blue Sun, the Moon's relative
greater distance is more apparent.

5. There is a common popular myth that certain kinds of insanity are more common when a full Sun is in the sky. These myths are true.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/17/2007 15:35:42
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  19:46:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read the posts yet, but I can tell you right off the bat what your problem is. You can take those same shadow lines and point them down a bit and still be in line and it will line up with the light source. You took a 2D image and drew a 3D conclusion.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  19:51:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see everyone else took the photo shop approach. I haven't looked for the original image.

The BA has a blog post on why shadows don't point to light sources by simple rules like drawing the lines in the OP. I'll go look for it.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  19:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does sock puppet = banned?
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  20:37:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I see everyone else took the photo shop approach. I haven't looked for the original image.

Maybe including bigbrain. His image of Saturn, wherever it came from, looks to have an added-in lense flare; a common looking lense flare at that -- I have that near identical looking effect with some freeware photo effects software.
In fact, on second look, the entire image appears to be a computer graphic. You can see stars in the background -- a no-go with the camera requiring a very small f-stop due to bright sun reflection. See the subtle ring colors in the shadow? Wouldn't be there in a actual image.
A very stylized image of Saturn.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  21:04:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Does sock puppet = banned?
Yes.

And the shadow lines should line up if (and only if) the Sun were on the same plane as Saturn's rings, which would only be true twice every 29.5 years (about). Of course, the odds that that image is a photo snapped by some spacecraft are zero, as has already been pointed out, so asking what the odds are that a spacecraft would take such a photo at one of two exact moments out of 29.5 years would be rather silly.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  21:04:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This image is here, and it is, indeed, merely a computer simulation, from a commercial program. Einstein2 should complain to the 3D modelers who did the image, though I think it's generally a beautiful image.

I think I preferred Einstein1, thank you.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/17/2007 21:06:57
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  21:09:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good find, Half. So yes, the people who created that image admit that it's a fake. That has no bearing on the near-complete failure of bigbrain's line-drawing method, nor on the veracity of any other photo of Saturn.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  06:28:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a raw image of Saturn published recently on the Cassini-Huygens mission that looked fake, or at least very odd, to the casual observer. It is this one:

It appears that the planet itself is not inside the rings, but sitting on top or on in front of them. Maybe this was the inspiration for trying to claim faked photos of Saturn? Thought it was an interesting coincidence that this new fakery claim came up just a few weeks after this photo was published.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.